Why is this not the standard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

would it be included in the DIR specialty, or a specialty all its own?
:)

Wow, could you imagine the outcry and threads we'd have if PADI ever announced a DIR speciality?

Wow, could you imagine the outcry and threads we'd have if PADI ever announced a DIR speciality?

LOL! especially since students would still be required to wear a snorkel, as with other PADI classes :)

would it be included in the DIR specialty, or a specialty all its own?
:)

It's own cert. think of how many more cards they could sell.

---------- Post Merged at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:20 PM ----------

It would be a prerequisite to the dir cert.

Many choices have nothing to do with mistakes, but are either a matter of preference, environment, or what equipment combinations you're using. Some choices are a trade-off between convenience and simplicity. Some have valid reasons for certain types of diving that are not relevent to other types of diving.

Most choices boil down to trade-offs ... not mistakes ... and it's up to the individual to determine what advantages and drawbacks a given choice offer, and decide which matter and which don't.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Choices have a lot to do with advice given by people that have no proper clue in the first place... Namely instructors who haven't been informed or refuse to be informed. Students rarely get a fair chance at getting a complete set of info. Info they DO get is usually based on the biased views of shop owners/instructors who haven't taken the time to inform themselves or worse are just ignorant... Or more interested in their profits...

Choices have a lot to do with advice given by people that have no proper clue in the first place... Namely instructors who haven't been informed or refuse to be informed. Students rarely get a fair chance at getting a complete set of info. Info they DO get is usually based on the biased views of shop owners/instructors who haven't taken the time to inform themselves or worse are just ignorant... Or more interested in their profits...

That hasn't been my experience ... either as a student or an instructor. But it's also my choice to deal with people who are going to treat me like an adult and as though I'm intelligent enough to weigh the benefits and drawbacks of a given system and make my own decisions.

I try to treat my students the same way ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

One person who does not currently dive a strict DIR/Hogarthian setup is Bill Main.

Boulderjohn, you MUST pass on a message to Bill Main. Tell him to coin a term for his current configuration, then copyright it and prepare to license it. With any luck he will be able to earn an income from the new name. Personally I'd suggest "The Main Man configuration" but that is up to him... :)

A bit of contradiction there... how is something 'great', when it requires constant fussing and attention?

Jacket BCDs don't just HAVE to be adjusted EVERY time they are used (implies a single adjustment pre-dive), in reality they HAVE to be adjusted every time the user changes the volume of air in the BCD... because that effects the fit (unlike a back-mounted/BP/W design).

This is... a load of crap... Where do you come up with this stuff?

Does anybody have a photo of a worn out wing?

No, but here is a photo of two wings, each with over a thousand dives on it:

564737_10151066658969216_1514455713_n.jpg

Who says the BP/W is the best configuration anyways? Those who have tried know it's the Hawaiian pack :wink:

Someone mentioned wearing a BP/W is like driving a F1 car (weird) but the disconnect is that recreational diving is not like participating in a F1 race. Lot's of rigs will do just fine. The reason there is no standard there is because there is no need for a standard. It is as simple as that. It's only when one travels down the commitment pathway (dive wise) that certain rigs become problematic and the choices narrow. At the extreme end of the spectrum those choices become one(ish) - that's what Bill and the boys discovered in those caves.

It is an completely artificial construct that takes that rig and reverses it's uber optimality back down to the recreational level. For OW diving, it is just one of many designs that work well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom