Why is this not the standard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving a long hose places an obligation on a diver, especially a boat diver, to learn how to control and stow your hoses so that they create no risk or annoyance to their fellow divers. It does not hurt to go slowly and gain experience before making huge changes in your gear. Unless you are addressing deficiencies.

No matter what your equipment - and no matter what the context - society places upon us an obligation to avoid disproportionately interfering with others.

That's why straight pipes on motorcycles are such a touchy subject.

The way I see it, noob divers should already be making big accommodations e.g. not going out to vacation spots where their lack of buoyancy control, poor air use, etc will interfere with more experienced divers. As such noob time is the perfect time to get used to something like a long hose. But that's just me. :)

Apart from my cave diving trips, 95% or more of my diving is purely recreational, and I use a long hose all the time -- I have, since I was introduced to it, which was before I ever did any GUE training. It just makes sense.

Diving a long hose places an obligation on a diver, especially a boat diver, to learn how to control and stow your hoses so that they create no risk or annoyance to their fellow divers. It does not hurt to go slowly and gain experience before making huge changes in your gear. Unless you are addressing deficiencies.

It only took one session in the pool to get used to the long hose and how to do an S-Drill and clean up. There's no reason to wait.

It only took one session in the pool to get used to the long hose and how to do an S-Drill and clean up. There's no reason to wait.

+1. It's not rocket surgery.

Well, the OP asked why isn't this the "standard". If it was the "standard" the new diver would have dove it from the first confined water dive and they wouldn't be adding any new gear.

I don't see how this is any more difficult then the typical LDS that only sells ScubaPro telling new divers to use their Air2 as their octo.

Look up Learning Theory and the idea of "Primacy" if you want an idea of why I disagree on waiting before switching.

In my case I switched to BP/W during the OW certification process. I would have switched to long hose then too if possible. As it stands my first "all my own gear" dive will be long-hose. :)

...//... In my case I switched to BP/W during the OW certification process. I would have switched to long hose then too if possible. As it stands my first "all my own gear" dive will be long-hose. :)

So how hard was it, really?

So I am curious how many of you dive with long hoses (7ft) even when rec diving?

So far, I am strictly a rec diver and use the long hose setup exclusively. It is far superior in comparison to the standard primary / octo setup IMO, so why not use it?!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom