Why is this not the standard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why isn't BP/W - long hose standard?
It's simple, because LDS's would lose too much money and there's also a stigma.
There's not as much money in a BP/W rig as a jacket made overseas by one of the big companies like SP or AL, especially with the markup they get and the quantity deals. Plus, even though some shop owners are hip to BP/W, why would they want to sell somebody a unit that will last the rest of their life? There's no money in that.

Now for the stigma part regarding BP/W's, long hoses, and the LDS.
Every LDS I've ever walked into and asked them, just shooting the breeze, if they knew about BP/W and the Hog set up, and the answer I get, after they get all pissy and huffy is..."those"...rigs are for tech divers and those..."DIR A-Holes".
I swear to god, I'm not making this up, that is the answer I get from almost every LDS I walk into and I have been into many during my travels in this big state.

Ever read any of Jarrod J.... (not going to look his last name up again)'s writings? "DIR's place in history is assured given its role in introducing a new paradigm to the diving public..." Or my favorite, " Because DIR's insistence on standardization is frequently misunderstood, it sometimes becomes a source of tension among divers. This is because some see the insistence on uniformity as an indictment of practices that do not abide by DIR principles."

That's the guy who wrote the book on DIR :eek: No surprise that DIR is seen as a-hole central.

I actually manage someone who sounds very similar in a lot of ways. He's very good at what he does, but he can't work with others because anything he didn't invent is crap and any deviation from his plan is a mistake. Makes him very popular with his coworkers (not). Fortunately for my guy i can make use of his talents and work around his deficiencies, but it ain't always easy.

Keep an open mind.

Many DIR practitioners have helped me along the way knowing full well that I'm not the sort of person that gravitates to DIR's dogma. My progress is bringing me ever closer to a "DIR standard" rig but only because it is working for me. Many kind DIR types would like to push me into the Kool-Aide vat, but have become resigned to that fact that I'll probably never be more than a "DIR friendly".

My opinion, no more, no less...

Oh I'm not going to reject the message because of the messenger, even though I have a total world view disagreement (in other words, I am an engineer and he obviously isn't) with that particular messenger. :)

So far my only decidedly anti-DIR gear is a computer, and the only real argument Jarrod has against them is that it's possible the money would be better spent elsewhere.

I'm an engineer too. Perturb the system and observe the result. (raised the kids that way)

-DIR mongers aren't all bad, in fact, very few of them are. IMHO, it is the occasional freshly-minted-evangelical "belly full of fire" type that amuses me.

As far as the messenger is concerned, I can't name the president of even one of my certifying agencies. Mostly because it doesn't matter, and I don't care.

Don't worry about the computer, sidemount is giving them fits. Fun to watch.

What is the purpose of a 7' hose on the primary? I like using 3' hoses on my regs to give more room for turning my head, but why a hose so long?

What is the purpose of a 7' hose on the primary? I like using 3' hoses on my regs to give more room for turning my head, but why a hose so long?

To allow one to donate one's primary and have the ability to swim single file while sharing air.

Though developed for cave diving, that ability is useful for wreck diving and for open water diving when in kelp or boat traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom