Why is this not the standard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on a boat recently where the majority of divers had BP/W rigs, and one woman who had a traditional jacket-style BCD asked one of the divers how comfortable their BP/W could be, given that one's back is typically up against bare metal, and the shoulder straps typically have no padding either. She clearly didn't see the appeal. I think comfort is a big consideration for many resort-type divers. They want to dive in a (sorry to use a tired metaphor) Cadillac with cushy padding everywhere, not a Formula 1 car with bare metal sticking out, even though the latter may give a more "optimal" (performance-wise) ride. Keep in mind that a fair percentage of divers are old geezers.

I think typically people are diving in a wetsuit, and that constitutes the padding. If not diving in a wetsuit, there are padding "kits" that will pad the straps and the backplate (I know Halcyon has a system, I'm sure other do too).

However, I have worn mine without a wetsuit (or dry suit) and don't find it uncomfortable. My BP/W actually came with the padding, and I removed it.

I think typically people are diving in a wetsuit, and that constitutes the padding. If not diving in a wetsuit, there are padding "kits" that will pad the straps and the backplate (I know Halcyon has a system, I'm sure other do too).

However, I have worn mine without a wetsuit (or dry suit) and don't find it uncomfortable. My BP/W actually came with the padding, and I removed it.

I have dived BP/W Al or SS backplate with a rash guard for the last 6 years. At peak, up to 5 dives per day, 7 days per week.
No problems whatsoever... not so much as a scratch or bruise ever.

...so very much disinformation.

I went through 3 BCD before I bought my BP/W, velcro loses it's ability to stick, or whatever you call it. Now my SS bp is coming up on 6 years old, bought it new in 2006.

These items are cheap, a hog harness can be made for <$5, wing <$300 (some less than <$200), and cam bands <$20. The webbing for the harness can be bought from a fabric store, and if you have a sewing machine, the cam bands webbing can be replaced. the only thing that will cost any money is the wing. My old wing was 5 years old before I upgraded it, and it had plenty of life in it.

Does anybody have a photo of a worn out wing? How old is it? I am talking about a wing, that has seen it's share of patches sewn in it, etc, etc, etc.

300 is cheap:)? Halcyon wing costs about 450.

I bought my fist BCD (Mares Icon )for 350 and my wife's Sherwood solaris for $160 , I do not believe the price is really an advantage of the BP/W

Here is something that has not been mentioned. The bpw is the ultimate platform. If you start with the correct platform it will grow and change with you, or not. A jacket bc will never get to be anything but a jacket bc. So from a marketing standpoint for a begginer to buy a piece of gear that will not prompt another purchase for a very long time, is a bad business model.
Eric

So from a marketing standpoint for a begginer to buy a piece of gear that will not prompt another purchase for a very long time, is a bad business model.

Does an aluminum baseball bat ever wear out? A fishing rod? A cricket bat? A hunting rifle? In general, no.

What keeps most sporting goods manufacturers going is twofold. One, people just want to buy something so they do. A whole bunch of perfectly good skis have been replaced over the years by skiers who just wanted the endorphin rush of buying new skis. Two, there is a constant churn where people get interested, buy a bunch of stuff, then abandon it in their basement. Relatively little of of that gear ever sees the light of day again, certainly not in working/safe condition.

When I bought my first BP/W I was told I'll never have to buy another BCD. But I now own seven of them ... and that original one is long gone ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey, no need to convince ME. I was merely relating a story. It may be perfectly comfortable, but I think a bare metal plate LOOKS uncomfortable and uninviting to many people. And yes, I know that padding is available or, in some cases, comes with the rig. But the rigs that the uninitiated see on a dive boat or in the dive shop usually don't have padding covering them--they're bare metal. It's just not appealing looking to many people, or so I suspect. It's not all that user-friendly looking. Maybe it's a marketing thing, and manufacturers would sell more if they jazzed them up, made padded backplates and straps in different colors or whatever--I dunno, I'm not a marketing guy.

Someone also mentioned the configurability aspect--that a BP/W can grow with your diving--but a substantial percentage of divers are never going to want to do more than descend 50 feet on the tropical reef and look at the pretty fishes. The most they might carry with them is a light. They don't need configurability and don't want to take the time to figure out what to do with all those holes in the backplate.

Again, I'm not advocating jacket-style BCD's or denigrating the BP/W, but rather just trying to come up with possible answers to the OP's query of why a BP/W is not immediately appealing to every diver.

Hey, no need to convince ME. I was merely relating a story. It may be perfectly comfortable, but I think a bare metal plate LOOKS uncomfortable and uninviting to many people. And yes, I know that padding is available or, in some cases, comes with the rig. But the rigs that the uninitiated see on a dive boat or in the dive shop usually don't have padding covering them--they're bare metal. It's just not appealing looking to many people, or so I suspect. It's not all that user-friendly looking. Maybe it's a marketing thing, and manufacturers would sell more if they jazzed them up, made padded backplates and straps in different colors or whatever--I dunno, I'm not a marketing guy.

that's kind of funny (even ironic), I removed the padding, since I find it more comfortable without the padding, and to uniformed onlookers, this makes my BP/W look uncomfortable :)

Oh well, I'm out there to dive, not to sell BP/Ws

I think Padi should start a BP/W cert.

:dork2:

There are way to many BP/w divers who are just asking for trouble without the proper Certs to dive their gear. Get your checkbooks ready.

---------- Post Merged at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:42 PM ----------

There are way to many BP/w divers who are just asking for trouble without the proper Certs to dive their gear. Get your checkbooks ready.

would it be included in the DIR specialty, or a specialty all its own?
:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom