Why is there no alert system on the perdix ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They didn't round off the pug; just brushed it. Cutting corners.

Not keen on machine-made bricks either. Don't have the charm of hand-made ones like they have in my village.
I think they come in yellow too.

After reading several comments, I realised that the pro-alarm arguments are illustrating what many divecenter owners say (with a negative tone): divers these days don't know and don't care. They fully rely on a computer that tells them when it's time to go a little less deep. But what it actually means? they have hardly any clue.
And I think that's true for quite a large number of divers.
  • Having an alarm to warn you that you're going to deep: you're not paying attention.
  • Having an alarm when you are within two or three minutes from your NDL: you're not paying attention.
  • Having an alarm if you're ascending too fast: you're not paying attention.
The ancient saying (plan your dive, dive your plan) has gathered dust and now belongs in the vintage section.
What plan? I have a computah that beeps at me when it's time to ascend!

That computer is not just beeping at you. It would be very social if your computer would just beep at you. But it's beeping at the whole group! And in my personal experience, that beeping is usually followed by shrugging shoulders, as the owner has no idea why it beeps and how to make it stop.

ShearWater: if you decide to listen to some divers and add a beep to your product, can you please also add the remote instant flooding option on my computer? Bluetooth communication would be awesome, as that would be easy: just get within 4m of the culprit and execute.

But you're talking about a different group of divers?... Right? There's vacation divers, and serious divers, recreational, techreational, and tech.

To the people that dive ~ 3 times a year, it's probably not a bad idea to give them beeps and buzzers... I personally stay away from this crowd at all costs, but they're out there and they make up the majority (I would imagine).... and for them, being safer isn't a bad thing. If it takes beeps and buzzers to keep idiots from killing themselves and diving out of the public eye as "dangerous" and insurance costs down, sure why not? Lots of agencies are written this way... not "how to be good divers", just "how not to die".

To the majority of SB'ers, we fall into the more serious group and this site is 100% biased... no beeps needed. Not for me, not for you... we spend all day talking about diving like junkies looking for a fix (I enjoy it tremendously)... we are not the norm:)

To everyone saying they can't stand the beeps, why are you in the water that close to someone like that? Everywhere I dive, Canada, NJ, NC, FL, etc... I have to want to be close to someone under water to actually be that close? I stick to mostly 6 tops, mostly with people I know. I think I might pass someone by underwater, but honestly we give each other a wide berth... I can't stand cattle boats, and most people needing beeps and buzzers congregate there. (I do not do a lot of Caribbean diving, so I don't have any experience there). I do not like large groups of people above or below.

No offense meant @Miyaru, just a counterpoint. The fact is we can want people to be better divers all day long, but you can't force vacation divers to be anything but that.

But you're talking about a different group of divers?... Right? There's vacation divers, and serious divers, recreational, techreational, and tech.

To the people that dive ~ 3 times a year, it's probably not a bad idea to give them beeps and buzzers... I personally stay away from this crowd at all costs, but they're out there and they make up the majority (I would imagine).... and for them, being safer isn't a bad thing. If it takes beeps and buzzers to keep idiots from killing themselves and diving out of the public eye as "dangerous" and insurance costs down, sure why not? Lots of agencies are written this way... not "how to be good divers", just "how not to die".

To the majority of SB'ers, we fall into the more serious group and this site is 100% biased... no beeps needed. Not for me, not for you... we spend all day talking about diving like junkies looking for a fix (I enjoy it tremendously)... we are not the norm:)

To everyone saying they can't stand the beeps, why are you in the water that close to someone like that? Everywhere I dive, Canada, NJ, NC, FL, etc... I have to want to be close to someone under water to actually be that close? I stick to mostly 6 tops, mostly with people I know. I think I might pass someone by underwater, but honestly we give each other a wide berth... I can't stand cattle boats, and most people needing beeps and buzzers congregate there. (I do not do a lot of Caribbean diving, so I don't have any experience there). I do not like large groups of people above or below.

No offense meant @Miyaru, just a counterpoint. The fact is we can want people to be better divers all day long, but you can't force vacation divers to be anything but that.
As I'm still drinking beer, I'll keep going😅😁 So, mister "dives twice a year" managed to do most of his dive without beeps. He approaches security stop depth when the computer beeps at him. Given the logic described here, beeps means "do something" thus he can surface without stop, or descend, if he decends, that bloody computer beeps again, to warn that he left safety stop depth.
I dont see how this adds anything but confusion.

A computer beeping during some suicide attempt is well and good, but doubt it changes anything - so where to set the limit?

Edit(s): beer induced typos

To everyone saying they can't stand the beeps, why are you in the water that close to someone like that?
Well, when it's your job to guide a group of divers (no matter what kind), it's usually very much appreciated by said divers if you stay within audible beeping distance.
... I can't stand cattle boats, and most people needing beeps and buzzers congregate there. (I do not do a lot of Caribbean diving, so I don't have any experience there). I do not like large groups of people above or below.
I admit, the majority of my beeping-experience was during dives from cattle boats in SE Asia.

A computer beeping during some suicide attempt is well and good, bit doubt it changes anything - so where to set the limit?
Most divers I've stopped from unconscious suicide attempts, did not have beeping computers. They were simply not paying attention or not following instructions. However, shrugging my shoulders and not intervening would probably have cost me my license.

Anyway, still no valid arguments for acoustic pollution under water.

Well, when it's your job to guide a group of divers (no matter what kind), it's usually very much appreciated by said divers if you stay within audible beeping distance.

I admit, the majority of my beeping-experience was during dives from cattle boats in SE Asia.

Most divers I've stopped from unconscious suicide attempts, did not have beeping computers. They were simply not paying attention or not following instructions. However, shrugging my shoulders and not intervening would probably have cost me my license.

Anyway, still no valid arguments for acoustic pollution under water.

2 boats;

Boat A is full of morons, none have beeps. One guy has no idea wtf he's doing and runs out of air, embolizes, or gets bent... boat ride stops, everyone goes back to the dock, and they get sued for whatever reason and charter closes. No matter what, the charter probably loses $ on a day like that.

Boat B is full of morons, most have beeps and flashing signs and whatnot (actually, I would think buzzers / vibrations would be the best of both worlds right?). One guy has no idea wtf he's doing but his computer is way smarter than him.. it tells him too deep / running out / time to come up / etc. There's no accident, and the charter lives to profit another day. No one gets sued. Buzzing and flashing a short message is pretty docile compared to beeps..

@Miyaru, I can 100% agree that noises underwater would be horrible... maybe just a subtle buzzing and flashing would do the trick. I don't guide dives, I don't like people, I don't like groups of people, so I have zero skin in this game. I just think it's interesting. I would personally turn all that off (and have on other dc's)

...To the majority of SB'ers, we fall into the more serious group and this site is 100% biased... no beeps needed. Not for me, not for you... we spend all day talking about diving like junkies looking for a fix (I enjoy it tremendously)... we are not the norm:)...
However, nearly half those who have participated in the poll voted for alarm(s) Question - What alarms do you want on your dive computer?

2 boats;

Boat A is full of morons, none have beeps. One guy has no idea wtf he's doing and runs out of air, embolizes, or gets bent... boat ride stops, everyone goes back to the dock, and they get sued for whatever reason and charter closes. No matter what, the charter probably loses $ on a day like that.

Boat B is full of morons, most have beeps and flashing signs and whatnot (actually, I would think buzzers / vibrations would be the best of both worlds right?). One guy has no idea wtf he's doing but his computer is way smarter than him.. it tells him too deep / running out / time to come up / etc. There's no accident, and the charter lives to profit another day. No one gets sued. Buzzing and flashing a short message is pretty docile compared to beeps..

@Miyaru, I can 100% agree that noises underwater would be horrible... maybe just a subtle buzzing and flashing would do the trick. I don't guide dives, I don't like people, I don't like groups of people, so I have zero skin in this game. I just think it's interesting. I would personally turn all that off (and have on other dc's)
TL;DR:
Boat A gets sued.
Boat B doesn't get sued.

:rofl3:

Yeah I totally agree. If diving in the US, beeps are required on dive computer otherwise you might get sued.

In the rest of the world, litigation doesn't work that way. Mother Nature however, does work exactly the same all around the world. The guy in the example is competing for a Darwin Award. If Mother Nature was successful, this one was taken out of the gene pool and if those genes were not passed on, the Darwin Award is the added bonus.
I understand that it's impossible to blame Mother Nature, let alone sue her.

Maybe the guy whose computer is beeping has no clue what it's telling him. He sees the screen flashing and panics. Maybe he goes for the surface. Maybe he doesn't see flashing but still believes he did something "wrong." Or someone else nearby hears the beeping and does not see anything unusual on his computer but could swear the beeping is coming from his computer. He spends a minute staring at the screen and loses his buddy. Meanwhile, the alarm of another diver nearby is beeping, and our diver asks himself again how is it possible his computer is still beeping at him?

Granted, my lame scenarios are all I came up with in a couple of minutes of thinking--I could do better. My point is that a diver who isn't of the mindset to know his computer and pay attention to its display throughout the dive may not be saved by beeping, and confusion from all the beeping among the Boat B divers could possibly even do more harm than good.

Long ago I had a computer with an audible alarm, and I could never really tell if the beep was from my computer, my buddy's, or someone 20 feet away. But when I heard beeping, I would stare at the screen, trying to figure out what the alarm was for, then look to see if maybe it was my buddy who was in distress, or someone else nearby. It just wasn't worth it, when I could know exactly what was going on during my dive simply by monitoring the screen.

Maybe the guy whose computer is beeping has no clue what it's telling him. He sees the screen flashing and panics. Maybe he goes for the surface. Maybe he doesn't see flashing but still believes he did something "wrong." Or someone else nearby hears the beeping and does not see anything unusual on his computer but could swear the beeping is coming from his computer. He spends a minute staring at the screen and loses his buddy. Meanwhile, the alarm of another diver nearby is beeping, and our diver asks himself again how is it possible his computer is still beeping at him?

Granted, my lame scenarios are all I came up with in a couple of minutes of thinking--I could do better. My point is that a diver who isn't of the mindset to know his computer and pay attention to its display throughout the dive may not be saved by beeping, and confusion from all the beeping among the Boat B divers could possibly even do more harm than good.

Long ago I had a computer with an audible alarm, and I could never really tell if the beep was from my computer, my buddy's, or someone 20 feet away. But when I heard beeping, I would stare at the screen, trying to figure out what the alarm was for, then look to see if maybe it was my buddy who was in distress, or someone else nearby. It just wasn't worth it, when I could know exactly what was going on during my dive simply by monitoring the screen.
I agree.. beeps probably isn't good for anyone. I can see haptic vibrations being much better for the masses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom