Why is overweighting a bad thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cornfed once bubbled...

You show a suprising inablity to learn from previous mistakes!

Henceforth, you are offically barred from drinking and reading SB!

I'm sorry, but it's for you own good. :D

Cornfed

...how will my LCS (local computer store) manager afford to send his kids to college?:D

cornfed once bubbled...

And sailboats don't work very well without keels, what's your point?

Try re-reading the thread.

Maybe you can do better with that context thing.

PhotoTJ once bubbled...

...how will my LCS (local computer store) manager afford to send his kids to college?:D

Don't worry Windows 2004, WinZQ, or something else will be out soon that requires a hardward upgrade.

Custer once bubbled...
Try re-reading the thread.

I will but it won't change anything. Your rubber duck analogy wasn't very good.

Maybe you can do better with that context thing.

Did you use up all your good material on Don?

Come back with a fresh put-down and then I'll play.

Cornfed

I think I understand Custer's problem now. We're all speaking in different terms. He's talking about *stability* and we're talking about *buoyancy*.

The submarines and sailboats and duckies all make sense now. He needs the extra weight around his waist to keep his stomach towards the bottom. The inability to roll side to side is what he means by stability.

Everyone else is talking about buoyancy. Don Burke even came up with some great numbers showing that if you have extra air in the BC, buoyancy control is more difficult because you have to vent or add air far more frequently than with proper weighting.

Custer also seems to be neglecting the fact that overweighting and having too much air in the BC is bad for trim, too.

:wacko: Actually, over-weighting is a GOOD thing!!!:wink:

At least at times, in the PSD community. When the water is so black that you can't see your gauges against your face-plate, and bottom conditions will permit, having extra weight allows one to crawl upon one's anterior ginglymus while sweeping the bottom!:tease:

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...
:wacko: Actually, over-weighting is a GOOD thing!!!:wink:

At least at times, in the PSD community. When the water is so black that you can't see your gauges against your face-plate, and bottom conditions will permit, having extra weight allows one to crawl upon one's anterior ginglymus while sweeping the bottom!:tease:

Yep, when you need to be planted on the bottom, it can't be beat.

The people who weld underwater are probably the best example since they need to be very steady.

In the recreational world, however, it gets you a reputation as a mud puppy.

It is fairly easy to stay put welding. The rod does not push you around. Try running a jet nozzle, especially a straight one that has no counter jet.

Visability? We don't got no stinkin' visability. We don't need no stinkin' visability! :wink:

OTOH when you get stuck in the bottom (and you will), you can jet yourself out.:D

Can you say 75 pound harness?
I think you can.

pipedope once bubbled...
Visability? We don't got no stinkin' visability. We don't need no stinkin' visability! :wink:

OTOH when you get stuck in the bottom (and you will), you can jet yourself out.:D

:wacko: Feels s-o-o-o good!!!:wacko:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom