Overweighted at beginning of dive but underweighted at end in shallows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strange, I have one 120 Steel and one 100 Al. With both empty the Al floats, the Steel sinks.
Your tanks when they’re steel contribute ballast to you but if you meed say 15lb to stay down without a scuba tank. If you dive an al80 than ends 2lb positive you’ll need 17lb of lead . If you dive an hp80 than ends 2lb negative you’ll need 13lb of additional lead.

But either way you need 15lb of negative buoyancy to stay down and you’ll be 6lb heavier in the beginning than the end

Your tanks when they’re steel contribute ballast to you but if you meed say 15lb to stay down without a scuba tank. If you dive an al80 than ends 2lb positive you’ll need 17lb of lead . If you dive an hp80 than ends 2lb negative you’ll need 13lb of additional lead.

But either way you need 15lb of negative buoyancy to stay down and you’ll be 6lb heavier in the beginning than the end
No. air weighs less in an aluminum tank.. It is all in the chart. :coffee: Or is it more?

Whatever, I KNOW it is different depending on what container it is in.

You can always read this since you give no credence to my post.
Nice Little chart here:
Actually, the chart you posted proved @tursiops post more than your own.

Take the AL100 and steel 100. Find the difference between buoyancy full and buoyancy empty. I get 7.4 lbs for the AL and 7.3 lbs for the steel. The 0.1 lb difference is likely due to rounding.

The swing is still the same. Steels tend to stay negative, so you can carry a bit less weight. You still need to account for the swing though, so you’ll be negative at the start of the dive if weighted for neutral at the end.

Actually, the chart you posted proved @tursiops post more than your own.

Take the AL100 and steel 100. Find the difference between buoyancy full and buoyancy empty. I get 7.4 lbs for the AL and 7.3 lbs for the steel. The 0.1 lb difference is likely due to rounding.

The swing is still the same. Steels tend to stay negative, so you can carry a bit less weight. You still need to account for the swing though, so you’ll be negative at the start of the dive if weighted for neutral at the end.
In the end it does make a huge difference if you are diving cold water with 7mm wet suit or dry suit how much weight you will need to strap on. If you can remove some of that weight by just carrying what is necessary (tank) then overall its better.

In the end it does make a huge difference if you are diving cold water with 7mm wet suit or dry suit how much weight you will need to strap on. If you can remove some of that weight by just carrying what is necessary (tank) then overall its better.
The tank is also a much more balanced weight.

Just to share something that left me totally puzzled this August in Sharm: diving in a 2mm shorty with a 15L Alu tank (Coltri, big diameter "classic" 15L Alu) I was comfortably at the end of the dive with just 4Kg of lead. Could have dived with 3 Kg no problem. One of the dive centers had these 15L Chinese tanks which are much longer then the Coltri but the same diameter as the 12L regular tanks. With one of these I barely managed to dive at the beginning of the dive (emptied the lungs almost completely to go 3m down etc) and had to ask the guide for another kilo do be able to do the safety stop comfortably. I'd be very curious to know the empty weight of these 15L tanks but I'm wondering how they will perform safety wise on the long run...

Just to share something that left me totally puzzled this August in Sharm: diving in a 2mm shorty with a 15L Alu tank (Coltri, big diameter "classic" 15L Alu) I was comfortably at the end of the dive with just 4Kg of lead. Could have dived with 3 Kg no problem. One of the dive centers had these 15L Chinese tanks which are much longer then the Coltri but the same diameter as the 12L regular tanks. With one of these I barely managed to dive at the beginning of the dive (emptied the lungs almost completely to go 3m down etc) and had to ask the guide for another kilo do be able to do the safety stop comfortably. I'd be very curious to know the empty weight of these 15L tanks but I'm wondering how they will perform safety wise on the long run...
I am betting the standard for high pressure tanks is different than the US. The DOT requirements are specifically designed for safe transport and the hydro requirement every 5yrs insures that the cylinder doesn't expand abnormally during pressure testing. If the tanks were exactly the same (AL or Steel) they should weigh the same and have a similar buoyancy. I spent some time doing training in Shenzhen and while they are way ahead of us in Electric Vehicles and a lot of high tech products, they don't have the government safety systems in place for industrial product safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom