Why is overweighting a bad thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Burke once bubbled...

Less stable. ...and the shallower you are, the worse it is.

Don't forget that most of the volume change comes in the top 33 feet. If we found a hole deep enough to squash that bubble to zero (impossible, but humor me), half of the volume change would be in the first 33 feet. In the real world, it always works out that more than half of the volume change is in the top 33 feet.

If you get your BC inflated with a bubble to displace the required 15 pounds of water at 15 feet, if a wave takes you up to 12 feet, the bubble displaces 15.98 pounds, making you light and taking you the wrong way.

If a wave pushes you down to 18 feet, the bubble will displace 14.08 pounds, making you heavy and taking you the wrong way.

You said "correctly attributed". I think you meant "correctly distributed". Plus or minus a little belt slip, the weight will stay where you put it. The bubble won't. If you put your head down, the bubble runs toward your butt, trying to force you head down. If you bring your head up, the bubble runs toward your head, trying to force you upright.

...and that extra 15 pounds of mass, once moving, makes it harder to correct yourself because it is moving the wrong way. If you live by inertia, you might die by inertia.

If you were talking about bringing a neutrally buoyant camera housing that weighed 15 pounds, we would be having a different discussion. That would give you some extra mass, but no changing buoyancy, which is the real problem with overweighting.

I have no doubt that in a world where waves move you 30 ft in a water column, or where air "shifts" enough in a BC to effect trim, or where shallow is greater than 33 ft, you're on the money.

You have a degree, don't you. :)

Custer once bubbled...

I have no doubt that in a world where waves move you 30 ft in a water column, or where air "shifts" enough in a BC to effect trim, or where shallow is greater than 33 ft, you're on the money.

You have a degree, don't you. :)

I can see reading is not your long suit.

Okay, I'm quite accustomed to dealing with difficult people.

First: It was 3 feet.
That's three feet.
That's this many: 1 1 1

Second: Move a 27 cubic inch bubble one foot and that's a foot-pound. If you move that same bubble six inches, thats half a foot-pound. If you move a 405 cubic inch bubble six inches, that's seven and one half foot-pounds. If you can move a pound seven and one half feet without affecting your trim, you must weigh a few tons at least.

Third: My entire discussion was between 12 and 18 feet. I don't know what planet you are living on where that is deeper than 33 feet. I suspect it would require a different universe as well. Please provide me with the speed of light in this universe you are living in so I can figure out the rest of the physical laws.

Fourth: Nope, no degree. I had to learn this stuff the hard way.

On second thought, don't worry about the speed of light. I'll be finding other ways to occupy my time.

Thanks for the exchange.

I can see reading is not your long suit.

Okay, I'm quite accustomed to dealing with difficult people.

First: It was 3 feet.
That's three feet.
That's this many: 1 1 1

Second: Move a 27 cubic inch bubble one foot and that's a foot-pound. If you move that same bubble six inches, thats half a foot-pound. If you move a 405 cubic inch bubble six inches, that's seven and one half foot-pounds. If you can move a pound seven and one half feet without affecting your trim, you must weigh a few tons at least.

Third: My entire discussion was between 12 and 18 feet. I don't know what planet you are living on where that is deeper than 33 feet. I suspect it would require a different universe as well. Please provide me with the speed of light in this universe you are living in so I can figure out the rest of the physical laws.

Fourth: Nope, no degree. I had to learn this stuff the hard way.

On second thought, don't worry about the speed of light. I'll be finding other ways to occupy my time.

Thanks for the exchange.

I do stand corrected on the depth, and no, I didn't really read your post.

Moving 6 ft up and down in the water column isn't much different in this context that 30.

I see that reading isn't your strong suite either, as the depth was in reference to your 33 ft example.

I was just going on the context of the conversation, since the bottom line is the result that I experience.

Put the calculator away, dive 4# heavy next time you're with students, and get back to me.

Are you sure you don't have a degree?

ps, thank you for describing me as difficult.

Custer once bubbled...

I do stand corrected on the depth, and no, I didn't really read your post.

I see that reading isn't your strong suite either, as the depth was in reference to your 33 ft example.

I was just going on the context of the conversation, since the bottom line is the result that I experience.

Put the calculator away, dive 4# heavy next time you're with students, and get back to me.

Are you sure you don't have a degree?

ps, thank you for describing me as difficult.

You might want to consider taking up reading from time to time.

At no point was anything done at 33 feet. That was a boundary. I don't have any suites of any description.

I have no clue what "context of the conversation" means in this context. I suspect you don't either.

I dive at least four times a month in an aquarium (four times last week) with up to 100 people watching me and dozens of fish bumping into me. I hover at about five feet in a wetsuit and AGA mask. If I am going to do any bottom scrubbing, I put on an extra three pounds. I am now getting back to you. It screws up my depth control and I dive without the extra weight whenever I can. I suppose if I wanted to plant myself on the bottom, it would be handy, but I don't like to do that if I can avoid it.

The calculator kept me alive for years. It is going nowhere.

Please find someone who knows how to read to explain what "no degree" means to you. I've used the shortest words I know.

You might want to consider taking up reading from time to time.

I asked the kid next door to help out. He said they learned in the third grade that the little rubber ducky with the weight glued on floats better than the one without.

I have no clue what "context of the conversation" means in this context.

No doubt.

I dive at least four times a month in an aquarium (four times last week) with up to 100 people watching me and dozens of fish bumping into me. I hover at about five feet in a wetsuit and AGA mask. If I am going to do any bottom scrubbing, I put on an extra three pounds. I am now getting back to you. It screws up my depth control and I dive without the extra weight whenever I can. I suppose if I wanted to plant myself on the bottom, it would be handy, but I don't like to do that if I can avoid it.

Aquarium diver. That explains a lot.

Do you get that 6ft water column in the tank?

Three pounds extra for what purpose? Stability?

How odd, you've been arguing they other way for ten posts.

Better check the calculator.

The calculator kept me alive for years. It is going nowhere.

Bet you got a cool gee-culator belt holster for it and everything.

I use safety shears myself.

Please find someone who knows how to read to explain what "no degree" means to you. I've used the shortest words I know.

I think this is a case for the "shut up and dive" police.

Don Burke
ETCS(SS) USN (ret)
former Diving Officer of the Watch for Dry Deck Shelter operations on USS James K. Polk SSN 645

<sarcasm>
Like you know what you're talking about... whatever...
</sarcasm>

Custer once bubbled...

I asked the kid next door to help out. He said they learned in the third grade that the little rubber ducky with the weight glued on floats better than the one without.

And sailboats don't work very well without keels, what's your point?

PhotoTJ once bubbled...

OK, and another keyboard drowns in Dr. Pepper! :rofL:

You show a suprising inablity to learn from previous mistakes!

Henceforth, you are offically barred from drinking and reading SB!

I'm sorry, but it's for you own good. :D

Cornfed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom