Why is it that when I google search Speargirl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speargirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I find that alot of my post are on the internet. Even when people mention my name in a thread on other forums it's on the internet. I don't care but it's really scary knowing that when I am loged on they can get into my private PM's. I know because I just had my sister do it. She read some Private PM's from my box. So why is this?
Does this mean when I do banking online people can get into that also?:11::confused:
Please if anyone has any suggestions for me that would be great.
Thanks
Becky

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to Site Support..

I looked up CoolTech also and he is out there to. Not that I am going look into his PM box because I would never do that but I am going ot see if his is open for all to see. I'll see if he is online here first. Thanks
Becky

Speargirl, I tried it and cannot find any PM's only posts. Can you provide a link or more information.

It doesn't work that way when I google your name. Is your sister using a computer from which you've logged in before and never logged out?

Might be she has my old computer and I got a new one. I'll ask her to log out and see what happens.
Thanks Walter you are the best.
Becky

by definition, anything you post is "on the internet." If someone puts your name in a post, it's on the internet. Search engines catalog and find any text that is public on a website, for the most part. That's what they do.

If people can really get your PMs that is a problem, but I am skeptical. How exactly did your sister read your PMs?

Online banking and all sorts of things that should be secure do have problems sometimes, you can read about them in the news a lot lately. But can anyone just get into your banking in the normal course of events, no. Not unless they have acquired your login and password somehow.

It is kind of interesting to google your own username. I use the same one across multiple forums and just found out that I won a free membership to singledivers right after I joined in Mar. 07. Unfortunately I never went back there after that...

Becky, I googled your name also and all I could see was posts you've made here. Google this to see everything about you that's public from SB:

speargirl site:scubaboard.com

It should be all your posts, your photo gallery and your profile. But not any PM's.

More than likely the reason your sister can read your PM's is because a cookie is set in her browser for Scubaboard. Tell her to delete your browsing history on that computer.
It's under Tools->Internet Options->Delete. At a minimum she should delete all Cookies, Form Data and Saved Passwords. Or Delete All to start new with just her personal data.

I'll be very surprised if she still can read your PM's after doing that.

Regarding banking, the answer is no. All banking transactions are done using SSL (Secure Socket Layer) security/encryption protocols. In english this means everytime you login your browser establishes a private connection just for that session.

To verify it - using IE7/Windows try this:

Login to your bank account.

At the top of your browser next to the web address window you'll now see a small gold lock icon. Click on it and it will display the connection to your bank and your security status.

Mine for example says which bank I'm connected to followed by:

the connection to this server is encrypted.

So it's safe (relatively) to proceed with any financial transactions.

Thanks Steve,
I'll have her do that. I called my other sister and asked her to look and she said she could find me but she could not get into my private messages. Now we can fix this problem. That's what I get for being nice. lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom