Why is DIR controversial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the clarification Christian.

I really like the analogy you used to illustrate this.

He is great at that. I am usually amazed at how well he can convey principles in a bigger boader context.

GI is a character, I like to allow for that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by catherine96821
The Oahu "DIR" is a whole nother story.

Suffice it to say that the shop that promotes "it" also puts new OW divers on the Sea Tiger, at night when they are in "other" mode. So...basically, it is whatever makes a buck, for them, IMO. (not that there is anything wrong with that)

And, anything perceived as "advanced training", will draw most military "types"

Are people true to their convictions? That is what I ask myself before following. Some DIR are, some are not. Even on Oahu.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been strugleing with this one as well catherine. I frequent said shop a lot, mostly for the reason that there is one guy that does my "kind" of diving.

I guess the way I look at it...is that there are 2 distinct sides to that shop...and while one may promote non-dir...the other is run by one individual, who in my opinion, adheres to DIR principles everytime he is in the water (even when teaching PADI courses)...

So again it comes down to the individual instructor in this case.

I my short diving experience, I don't think I can say if DIR is controversial or not.

What I can say is that the DIR divers that I have interacted with have been nothing short of spectactular butt heads!

Secondly, the acronym of DIR...Doing It Right.

I hear that as "If I'm not doing it your way, I'm doing it wrong."

Sort of a bummer is the DIR thing is the concept could have great points, but it is hard to get past the BS of the title.

Fortunately there are still a group of divers out there who are cousins of DIR that don't look down on the non-DIR folk and they are the Hogatharian divers.

I've met a couple of them and they're clear they are not DIR.

Call it Hog, call it DIR, don't care, but I've trimmed down my equipment configuration to a simple harness, BP/W, single tank DIN with a short hose and long hose for the regs, the simple pressure guage and now the slung pony. I'm comfortable and enjoy my dive but the next guy that looks at my second reg on the "short" hose and tell's me I'm not DIR because the hose is to too long (in order of my financial priorities, I have a functioning hose, I'll get a shorter one that doesn't bow out so much later), I'm gonna pop his dry suit to let all that hot air out!

The DIR commission out there could maybe do wonders for their cause and get a new name.

paddler3d:
Secondly, the acronym of DIR...Doing It Right.

I hear that as "If I'm not doing it your way, I'm doing it wrong."

Sort of a bummer is the DIR thing is the concept could have great points, but it is hard to get past the BS of the title.
The DIR commission out there could maybe do wonders for their cause and get a new name.
"Dive Rite" - If you don't use our gear, you're doing it wrong.

"Scubapro" - If you don't use our gear you're a rank amateur.

See how easily all these other marketing slogans are, correctly so, simply dismissed as marketing slogans. Until we come to “DIR” and suddenly it’s an issue.

Unless you’re going to complain equally about “Dive Rite” and “Scubapro” you don’t have a leg to stand on. It’s a slogan. Grow up, get over it and dismiss it as simply another marketing slogan, which it is. Period.

Roak

paddler3d:
What I can say is that the DIR divers that I have interacted with have been nothing short of spectactular butt heads!

Is there a chance that those "spectacular butt heads" are that way, not because they are DIR divers but because they are spectacular butt heads?

Put a different way, if the non DIR divers I know are butt heads, should I go ahead and assume that they are butt heads because they are not DIR?

paddler3d:

What's in a name? that which we call a rose - by any other name would smell as sweet

and to follow up on that

paddler3d:

how many DIR divers have you interacted with exactly?

are you implying that since the ones you've interacted with were buttholes then many/most/all other DIR divers are likewise buttheads?

H2Andy:
and to follow up on that
how many DIR divers have you interacted with exactly?

are you implying that since the ones you've interacted with were buttholes then many/most/all other DIR divers are likewise buttheads?

I don't think that the poster was implying that at all. I suspect he was just suffering from faulty logic.. assuming the wrong cause. Might as well have said, "the divers I know who drive Hondas have been jerks therefore driving a Honda makes divers jerks."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom