Why is DIR called a philosophy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyway, as DIR is really a set of ideas, assumptions, and principles from which policies and procedures are drawn, I think the word "philisophy" fits it as well as any other word.

To the original post - IMHO
If one is trying to improve the diving one does, then they're are striving to be better. That's the whole concept of DIR. Constantly evolving. Kinda Buddist but that's all DIR is about. The principal encompasses all divers and agencies, if they want it to. Is that mindset philosophical enough? :eyebrow:

I think the overriding philosophy is actually just getting the job done and nailing it. All of the training and teamwork and gear all needs to serve that purpose.

And GUE doesn't have a monopoly on the one right way to get the job done. I can think of several members of this board and TDS who aren't DIR and who get the job done...

There is nothing special about DIR. It's common sense stuff. Anyone with good reasoning skills and good common sense can come up with the same results. The true DIR guys are not the super divers people make them out to be. They use common sense, follow a few basic rules and spend a lot of time in the water perfecting skills. It's plain and simple. No philosophical BS.

As far as the thread of comfo-bite mouthpieces and DIR, I have to agree, that has to be the dumbest thread I've read in a while.

Lane Zimmer:
...It's common sense stuff. Anyone with good reasoning skills and good common sense can come up with the same results. The true DIR guys are not the super divers people make them out to be. They use common sense, follow a few basic rules and spend a lot of time in the water perfecting skills. It's plain and simple. No philosophical BS.

In many areas of life, I have found that most really good systems can be described this way.

Simple, makes sense and often leave you with the feeling, "Now why didn't I come up with that..."

lamont:
Please don't troll in the DIR forum, and sign up for a GUE course. The equipment configuration is not even half of what its about. You're just beating on a strawman...
He really does troll a little bit doesn't he?
OTOH, he was trained by AG AFAIK and probably knows more than he lets you notice. :wink:

aquaoren:
He really does troll a little bit doesn't he?
OTOH, he was trained by AG AFAIK and probably knows more than he lets you notice. :wink:
Shhhhhhhhhh......I'm hunting wabbits

(But the post was not a troll)

Lane Zimmer:
There is nothing special about DIR. It's common sense stuff. Anyone with good reasoning skills and good common sense can come up with the same results. The true DIR guys are not the super divers people make them out to be. They use common sense, follow a few basic rules and spend a lot of time in the water perfecting skills. It's plain and simple. No philosophical BS.

As far as the thread of comfo-bite mouthpieces and DIR, I have to agree, that has to be the dumbest thread I've read in a while.
Hi Lane. I think you're right on the money here as well. I wish I had some common sense prior to taking the DIRF :11: I mean I have some... :06: or was that the other voice in my head... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom