Why is DIR called a philosophy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
Is my Comfy Bite DIR? Depends on who you talk to...and If I need gas...I really don't care.

You'd care a whole lot if it was you toxing and the donor couldn't get breathing gas to you.

You complain about the nit picky little things, but the small details such as this are what makes a good system even better. When you get to discuss what hand the light is carried in, and the type of reg mouthpiece-and then you find excellent answers for these discussions-then you realize how deep the thought process has gone to develop this system. Find me one other agency that goes to this extreme detail.

detroit diver:
You complain about the nit picky little things,
I complain about the nit picky DIR things people "discuss" on the internet.

detroit diver:
When you get to discuss what hand the light is carried in
In the left...always the left, Right?

But then, In real world diving the light goes back and forth between the two hands for various activities and OOG are not planned. So when it happens, what hand is your light in? You should be able to deal with it, regardless of what hand its in.

detroit diver:
then you find excellent answers for these discussions-then you realize how deep the thought process has gone to develop this system. Find me one other agency that goes to this extreme detail.
Are you implying that from George and JJ on down to the lowest of the lowest GUE Instructor are of one mind on all issues?

Jeff, so far you seem to be the only one in this thread who is determined to drag this thread down to the which-hand-do-you-hold-the-light nit picking level.

Physician heal thyself.

lamont:
Jeff, so far you seem to be the only one in this thread who is determined to drag this thread down to the which-hand-do-you-hold-the-light nit picking level.

Physician heal thyself.
Really? Interesting. I get called a troll, clueless and my posts are disagreed with... and I am not allowed to respond to someone who didn't agree with what I said? Why is that?

JeffG:
Are you implying that from George and JJ on down to the lowest of the lowest GUE Instructor are of one mind on all issues?

Of course there are differences, but please name one organization that has dissected this sport in the depth that GUE/DIR has. There isn't one, and that's why everyone focuses on the small "nit picky" details with DIR. If some other agency were this specific about technique and equipment, don't you think there would be discussion about them?

The other option is to take the general "personal preference" attitude. That sounds nice and informal, but not very practical when the crap hits the fan.

JeffG:
I complain about the nit picky DIR things people "discuss" on the internet.

In the left...always the left, Right?

But then, In real world diving the light goes back and forth between the two hands for various activities and OOG are not planned. So when it happens, what hand is your light in? You should be able to deal with it, regardless of what hand its in.

You better be able to deal with it if you partner goes OOA. And if that means that you haven't thought about what is going on with the cord, and you've clipped off your light, you partner is in some serious trouble. So yeah, you can not discuss it, bury your head in the sand, and do whatever you please- or you can follow some guidelines so that you can minimize a potential risk. I find the discussion to be worthwhile.

In our tech one, we were dealt OOA situations, light and manifold malfuncitons at any time, and usually when these problems were deemed most inopportune by the instructor.

While there are ideal procedural preferences and contingencies built into DIR, in the moment of an actual crisis, the correct procedure was the one that sucessfully and fully remedied the situation.

So in my tech one, when I was venting my bladder with my left hand, my light went to the right. My partner went OOA, and I just let the light head drop and went for my primary as usual. Light head dangling in space, not pretty, but was my partner more important than my light head at that moment...well kinda. Once the situation was stabilized, light was "reeled in" and either clipped off or re-deployed as the situation warranted.

jagfish:
In our tech one, we were dealt OOA situations, light and manifold malfuncitons at any time, and usually when these problems were deemed most inopportune by the instructor.

While there are ideal procedural preferences and contingencies built into DIR, in the moment of an actual crisis, the correct procedure was the one that sucessfully and fully remedied the situation.

So in my tech one, when I was venting my bladder with my left hand, my light went to the right. My partner went OOA, and I just let the light head drop and went for my primary as usual. Light head dangling in space, not pretty, but was my partner more important than my light head at that moment...well kinda. Once the situation was stabilized, light was "reeled in" and either clipped off or re-deployed as the situation warranted.

You know…even though this was just a “practice” OOG, it sounds suspiciously like something I wrote. I would of recognized it sooner, but I had my head in the sand.

JeffG:
But then, In real world diving the light goes back and forth between the two hands for various activities and OOG are not planned. So when it happens, what hand is your light in? You should be able to deal with it, regardless of what hand its in

Detroit Diver:
Of course there are differences,
I’m glad you acknowledge it.

I guess maybe we should cut to the chase.

Lets take a scenario….lets say, something Similar to the “Comfybite and DIR?” thread. Now, in this thread someone claims the correct way of doing something

And then they find out from someone who actually knows the stuff that they are actually wrong.

And then the Mantra comes to mind “Take the class”….

Well, I guess in this case the class wasn’t enough.

(At this point, if you do not understand the ramifications of what I’m describing, you might want to go back and re-read the above scenario)

At this point I need to ask myself a couple of questions.

How many other things have been said by this person is actually not DIR?
How many other users have been providing the incorrect DIR information?
How can we trust the DIR information that is on the Internet?

At this point, you should be able to see where the full extent of misinformation comes from.

You know…maybe before calling people trolls, clueless and commenting on the position their head is at when they are on the beach…they should take a look inside themselves first. It could be that they are not even qualified to make that judgment.

JeffG:
How many other things have been said by this person is actually not DIR?
How many other users have been providing the incorrect DIR information?
How can we trust the DIR information that is on the Internet?
Probably a lot.

Plenty.

We can't.

That's in order... and was the *very first* thing that was made clear when I took the class :wink:

So you have a problem with us idiots arguing incessantly (and often incorrectly), spouting misinformation on the internet? Stay outta the DIR forum then :crafty: Clearly the problem here is with the internet and us fools, not with DIR :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom