Why is DIN not the standard in diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Economics ... a standard "K" valve is generally $10-$20 less expensive than a Thermo "Pro" (convertible) or DIN valve. When you're outfitting a fleet of 100 or more (rental) tanks and considering the potential longevity of the valve (i.e. how much abuse it can take before it needs replacing), a K valve makes economic sense.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Add to that the additional cost of din equipped regs if you rent them and the added cost for the diver with his own gear.

Same reason imperial is still around is some parts of the world.

I keep hearing the busted up threads/falling over tanks busting up tanks/1st stage arguments a lot, yet Im yet to see it and I do dive a fair bit in locations where the standard setup is din with yoke insert 1st stages..
Im sure it happens, but Im yet to see it. Maybe american divers are more adept at busting up- DIN valves/1st stages than european divers?

You haven't met my wife, huh?

its down to money and poor customer service.
to upgrade to din convertable clyinder valves will only happen when companies start to lose customers.

so its down to you guys to voice your distaste about using 2nd rate yoke tanks.

if the company cant afford din valves can they afford proper compresser maintanace?

2p

It probably has more to do with inertia. The advice for US Caribbean bound divers is to go yoke since that is what Caribbean dive ops have on their tanks. Carribean dive ops have yoke tanks because their customers show up with yoke regulators. If everyone were to go out and buy a brand new DIN regulator, then the dive ops would switch. The manufacterers would be thrilled, but of course buying all new equipment would raise the cost for both divers and operators.

Last edited:
Because in practical terms the yoke connection is solid and reliable and found world wide and is entirely adequate for open water diving. If I were diving overhead I would prefer a DIN.

DIN has it's own set of issues and is not the 100% solution it is passed off as being. The increase in reliability is not 100% it is incremental.

N

Because in practical terms the yoke connection is solid and reliable and found world wide and is entirely adequate for open water diving. If I were diving overhead I would prefer a DIN.

DIN has it's own set of issues and is not the 100% solution it is passed off as being. The increase in reliability is not 100% it is incremental.

N

i have to disagree.
yoke is not solid or reliable-its yesterdays technology.
yes you can dive world wide with it because most places have an insert to change a 300 bar din fitting down to a 230 bar yoke fitting(think about it)

din is not 100% perfect
its just 100%better than yoke.

if it wasnt it would be rated to the same pressure.

First DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung) was not established until 1975 so making a DIN valve standard at the beginnings of SCUBA would be unlikely. NADI (Normenausschuß der deutschen Industrie) established 1917 and its successor DNA (Deutscher Normenausschuß) in 1926 had standards for industrial gas connections, but I don't know how much, if any, crossover there was between thir standards during these periods considering the intervening unpleasantness between the countries.

Check out http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/310337-din-valve-history.html for a pre DIN "DIN" valve which was probably a DNA spec.

As an aside for someone who wants to wade through it, you will probably find a DIN specification for a yoke valve which, at that point, it will also be a DIN valve.

The reason the yoke is the standard in the US is that it has, and still does, work quite well for it's intended purpose. Additionally it's almost sailor proof.

Bob
----------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

I had one of my DIN valves get dented (thus destroyed) when it rolled as it was being loaded on the trolley we use to transport tanks. Made me swear.... a lot

Did the exact same thing a week or two ago for the first time. Including the swearing! That didn't come till a few hours later though out on the boat when I went to use the now dented valve and couldn't screw my 1st stage in, and had to miss that dive.

I keep hearing the busted up threads/falling over tanks busting up tanks/1st stage arguments a lot, yet Im yet to see it and I do dive a fair bit in locations where the standard setup is din with yoke insert 1st stages
If the valves have the yoke insert then that is what is protecting them. DIN valve with no insert has a great big empty hole in the middle, it doesn't take much to knock it out of round, see above. For that reason I now put plugs in my valves when transporting them.

If the valves have the yoke insert then that is what is protecting them. DIN valve with no insert has a great big empty hole in the middle, it doesn't take much to knock it out of round, see above. For that reason I now put plugs in my valves when transporting them.

Maybe to some extent but even when plugged distortion will meet up with the insert thread and it will never be the same. It's not a 1:1 plug, it's thread fit with clearance.

Back
Top Bottom