Why is DIN not the standard in diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why the DIN valve is not standard? It's because America won WWII and that's why there ain't no DIN valve standardization. To the victors go the spoil.

Or something like that.

Why the DIN valve is not standard? It's because America won WWII and that's why there ain't no DIN valve standardization. To the victors go the spoil.

Or something like that.
Except you seriously need to check your facts, both the historical and and the standardizational ones..

The problem with only having one standard is who gets to decide. I vote yoke as my USD Mistral, DAAM, RAM and single hoses all have them (not true, I have one DIN as well).

Now you vote DIN and the whole thing falls apart.

Standardization is more necessary as the situation dictates it for safety reasons ie. caves, wreck penetrations or deep/deco diving. However, Recreational divers get along just fine with yokes so to impose one standard would be artificial and limiting. The question in the title is too broad; diving is a large and varied activity and in that field, recreational divers make up, by far, the majority.

No need, no standard.

Indeed, but its hard to argue that it wouldnt be easier if there was only one rather than the current 3 standards. Its not gonna happen anytime soon, if ever, but it would be easier.
Just look at cellphone chargers - they change even within the same manufacturer between models and even more so between manufacturers. If they cant make a single standard for something that pretty much have a lifespan of a year or two and as such would be pretty quick to get onto one single plug, it sure as hell wont happen this side of the milennium to equipment with lifespan of a few decades..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom