Why is a Jacket BC better than a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps you have a different definition of "simple". I hate weight belts. The jacket BCD takes care of that, your BP/W doesn't. I also like pockets, again the jacket BCD takes care of that, your BP/W doesn't. I know I can use the jacket BCD with a single tank, can I use your BP/W with that or do I need an adapter? What kind of backplate is that, will it be too heavy to travel with? etc...

If you'd like to add weight pockets to a backplate, you can if you'd like. Try to add weight pockets to a non weight integrated BC. You can't. You can also add a pocket. Try to remove a pocket from a jacket BC. You can't. I h8 pockets on a BC.

I know I can use a backplate with doubles or singles. MOST jackets cannot, and the ones that can are limited in what size doubles they can accommodate.

I have never been told by my LDS that BP/W is a tech thing. I have only seen 1 BP/W actually being used, another one was on display at the LDS I use and the other one which I had forgotten about was on display at the LDS Sale at a manufacturers display. It just happened to be the dreaded X-Tec.:D

I have a Stiletto, if the BC gets a leak, it can be replaced. It is back inflate and the front of it is clean, it has weight pouches, 2 bands for the tank, 2 pockets that I use for my folding snorkel and a couple of other items such as a signaling mirror and a flashlight if I want and trim pouches on the back by the tank. I don't dive in cold water and usually only wear a 3MM wetsuit or maybe just a dive skin and board shorts.

I admit that I am considering a BP/W because I have a double hose reg that I want to be able to lower the tank further than I can with my Stiletto and it should also place the reg closer to my lungs. I may end up with one for that purpose otherwise my Stiletto would serve the purpose quite well.

While the BP/W may well be the best thing since sliced bread it seems like it is more of a Scubaboard phenom than a reality for divers who go on vacation 2 or 3 times a year to dive, like I do. Oh, and I have been on 2 live aboards and did not see a BP/W on either of them.

Is a BP/W better? IDK but I am surely pleased with what I have now.

While the BP/W may well be the best thing since sliced bread it seems like it is more of a Scubaboard phenom than a reality for divers who go on vacation 2 or 3 times a year to dive, like I do. Oh, and I have been on 2 live aboards and did not see a BP/W on either of them.

It's been a few years since I was the only BP/W diver on a trip, whether liveaboard or dive resort. I don't see them being as rare as some of you guys are making them out to be. There were four on my last Aggressor trip, and half a dozen at CCV this Spring.

Perhaps you have a different definition of "simple". I hate weight belts. The jacket BCD takes care of that, your BP/W doesn't. I also like pockets, again the jacket BCD takes care of that, your BP/W doesn't. I know I can use the jacket BCD with a single tank, can I use your BP/W with that or do I need an adapter? What kind of backplate is that, will it be too heavy to travel with? etc...

Just because you hate weight belts doesn't make using one more complicated. I actually disliked weight belts too before I tried a Mako rubber belt. I would actually argue that the belt is simpler that an integrated system. It can't get any easier that the 6 pounds that my BP adds.

Pockets. Before my BP/W I dove a Zeagle Stiletto . It does have pockets but I challenge anybody to actually use them wearing thick gloves. Now I have a LM glue-on pocket on my wetsuit. Easy to operate and spacious.

Single tank adaptor. Not needed on DSS and many others.

Initial adjustment. You got a point here. Maybe. It took me an hour to assemble and adjust it initially. Now I just grab it, tighten the tank straps, close the waist bucket and go diving. The Jacket will require adjustment of shoulder straps and cumberbund every time you put it

Dive what you like but for the right reason.

1) What features are better in Jacket BC's than in BP/W

2) in what kind of diving Jacket works better, why?

3) How would one experienced and familiar with both styles end up buying&recommending a jacket. What arguments and reasons lead to the decision?

1) Floating Head-up on the surface, getting in and out easily and quickly with disconnect clips (vs. continuous webbing), though this is more a feature of BCs in general than jacket BCs specifically.

2) I'd recommend someone who dives very little (a couple of times a year maybe), and is not very comfortable in the water (especially at the surface) to get a jacket BC, especially if they aren't going to work on their skills and don't really care about their trim (I would think this is most divers).

3) I can't see someone who's experienced with both styles buying a jacket BC. At most I could see them buying a back-inflate BC so they could get in trim easily. But as someone who is experienced in both I could see myself recommending a jacket for the type of diver described in #2 above. For arguments/reasons, see #2.

My Aggressor trip that was last month had none. I don't think that it is as common as you make it out to be.

All things being equal, my anecdotal evidence is at least as factual as yours.

Maybe we can get together for a dive sometime. Bring your BP/W, I would love to get a closer look at one.:rofl3:

It's been a few years since I was the only BP/W diver on a trip, whether liveaboard or dive resort. I don't see them being as rare as some of you guys are making them out to be. There were four on my last Aggressor trip, and half a dozen at CCV this Spring.

Last edited:
On the pockets front, on my jacket (one of the Mares sports) I always found the pockets became redundant once I'd inflated the BCD as I couldn't access anything because of the pressure pushing against the pockets coupled with the integrated weights taking up space. No such issue with my pockets attached to my BP/W.

Regarding input from more novice divers about jacket-style BCDs vs. BP/W...

I'm relatively new to diving (96 logged dives) and have not done any tech diving as I still do not have enough experience.
When I first started out, I dove the jacket-style BCDs because I had to rent and that's all my LDS had.

When it was time for me to get a BCD, I asked my instructor for recommendations and he suggested I try a BP/W before spending hundreds of dollars.
He had a DiveRite TravelPac that he thought I might like (since we're in warm, tropical waters and I don't like to have much weight on) and so I tried it out.
Front that point on, I have never even considered diving with a jacket-style BCD.

My 15-year-old had the same experience: learning with a jacket-style BCD and then trying a BP/W before purchasing one.
She also opted for the BP/W saying: "There is no comparison. There is no way I'm getting a jacket."

I now have a DiveRite Voyager XT wing with a 5-pound steel backplate and a basic hog harness setup.
I love this configuration since I don't need any weights (even if diving an aluminum cylinder), it's streamlined, and I can poke around inside of wrecks with great trim/pitch.
If I want to penetrate a little deeper (nothing too hardcore because, like I said, I'm not a tech diver) then I can strap on a steel 100 without any trouble.

Of my handful of friends who are also relatively new divers, they have all purchased BP/W setups even though they initially started with jackets.
We all seem to agree that overall the BP/W is just a better fit.
But that's just us...

Regarding input from more novice divers about jacket-style BCDs vs. BP/W...

I'm relatively new to diving (96 logged dives) and have not done any tech diving as I still do not have enough experience.
When I first started out, I dove the jacket-style BCDs because I had to rent and that's all my LDS had.

When it was time for me to get a BCD, I asked my instructor for recommendations and he suggested I try a BP/W before spending hundreds of dollars.
He had a DiveRite TravelPac that he thought I might like (since we're in warm, tropical waters and I don't like to have much weight on) and so I tried it out.
Front that point on, I have never even considered diving with a jacket-style BCD.

My 15-year-old had the same experience: learning with a jacket-style BCD and then trying a BP/W before purchasing one.
She also opted for the BP/W saying: "There is no comparison. There is no way I'm getting a jacket."

I now have a DiveRite Voyager XT wing with a 5-pound steel backplate and a basic hog harness setup.
I love this configuration since I don't need any weights (even if diving an aluminum cylinder), it's streamlined, and I can poke around inside of wrecks with great trim/pitch.
If I want to penetrate a little deeper (nothing too hardcore because, like I said, I'm not a tech diver) then I can strap on a steel 100 without any trouble.

Of my handful of friends who are also relatively new divers, they have all purchased BP/W setups even though they initially started with jackets.
We all seem to agree that overall the BP/W is just a better fit.
But that's just us...
These seem to be the prevailing stories.
I'll bet if you go into the LDS and tell them you got a BP/W and sold the jacket they just get a disgusted look on their face and look away.
It must be hell being a shop owner being stuck in the middle, abandoned by divers learning about BP/W, and dominated by totalitarianist jacket manufacturers.

Back
Top Bottom