Why I won't dive with you.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick, those are some of the reasons I dive solo most of the time. I do go out on the boat with the group but I discuss my dive plan with the DM and hang around the other divers if I want but no buddy. I'm always up in 60 minutes so the others don't have to wait.
Of course since I've had my camera since last November, maybe folks WANT me to dive solo....:wink:

Good list Rick, and I agree with most of other posters additions so far, except the 'hunter' one. But to each their own preferences. I like diving with hunters 'cause I like seafood:D

But I would like to add that these are people I would not choose to 'buddy' with. They are welcome to dive the same ocean as it belongs to all. And as long as it is not my ***** on line, can even be fun to watch up to a point(seeing the other guys screwed up buddy makes me more appreciative of mine)

When diving with new(to me) buddy, I assume they have no skills till they show me different. Which is like 'solo' diving except that I have obligation to other diver I have accepted as my buddy while having no expectations that they will be able to assist me. Usually they prove these 'assumptions' wrong, but I feel it is prudent to dive even more conservatively with an unknown buddy than it is when diving solo.

I don't like know it alls or loudmouths (not mutually exclusive: sometimes the loudmouths don't know anything at all). Control freaks bum me out too. I like the shirt "Shut Up and Dive!" I'll go wherever the boat goes, and dive wherever the majority of divers want without comment (unless its my last day of a trip and haven't been able to get to a particular site I really wanted to do, then I'll ask nicely and give way if there are too many objections; contrary to my board persona, I don't like to argue...ha!). I don't like people that take too many risks thinking "well, there's that dive instructor that will save my azz if I get in trouble" because you know what? I'm not going to risk my own life to try to save some Evel Knievel...Now that I quit smoking for a while, I don't like smokers on the boat (sorry, but when I smoked, I aksed if anyone minded, and even if it was just one person who preferred I not, I let it go and didn't have one unless I could try to go way downwind with their consent)...I'm not going with hunters (which is usually a special trip so if you sign up on a "hunters" trip, well, you have to go with it)...photogs that handle the merchandise and block out everyone and silt up the joint to get one picture...really out of shape divers is another pet peeve of mine...other than that, I'm easy...heh-heh....

I'm with CowboyNeal, in listening to others. I don't even want to be on a boat with the person who is so busy on the boat telling everybody everything, that you can't get a word in edgewise. Pre-dive plan? He/she's constantly telling you what's best, and uses phrases like "WE really ought to..." In the water, the dive plan changes at this person't whim and they get pissed if you don't follow. This will be the insecure or arrogant diver who insists that you follow him/her. When HE/SHE gets in trouble, the conversation on the boat afterward will be "we" or denial. Arrgghh.
Bob
ps - Hmm, sound like ex-wife comments! :wink:

I agree with staying away from the "Super Diver" type. Most of the time it seems like the loudest diver on the boat, fanning out his card collection, is not very good when they get in the water but they are oblivious to their own poor skills.

There are a LOT of divers I won't dive with. However, it is usually not because of their skill level, etc. When I dive with a buddy it forces me to constantly consider where they are and whether they are safe. That distracts very significantly from my focus on the film work I'm down there to do. On a number of occasions when I've dived with friends, I've found that even they aren't totally aware of the impact their fins can have in stirring up the sediments and ruining my shot.

There are several regular buddies I will dive with any time they are available. We know one another's needs and for the most part they are all instructors and solo divers if need be.

One of my best friends finally got certified. I CANT stand diving with him. He is a know it all after 6 dives, including training. He is the loudest person on the boat, and doesnt pay attention to me when I try to plan a dive with him. Also, he feels he can dive my computer because he doesnt have one. His after dive stories makes everybody else look bad to make himself look better. Really sucks because I have been hoping for four years the he would get it done. Now he finally does and I cant stand diving with him.

Diver Dennis:
I agree with staying away from the "Super Diver" type. Most of the time it seems like the loudest diver on the boat, fanning out his card collection, is not very good when they get in the water but they are oblivious to their own poor skills.

Super Diver.

Nicely done.

---
Ken

curious - what's the beef with overweight divers? I know a few excellent divers that are overweight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom