Why I won't dive with you.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have a list. I'll dive with anyone, at least once (especially if they pay me). It really depends on the dive. On the other hand, there aren't many people I'd ride to the site with or hang with post dive.

Good list Rick. I would add one more. I will not dive with an unknown diver on a deep dive or a dive that's known to often have difficult conditions. I suspose this is really refusing to do a dive that's way beyond the others dive skills. I have no way of knowing what the divers skills actually are without actually diving with them so for my own safety I have to assume they are not up to the dive. This may sound snobby but it's my rear I am interested in protecting.

There are some people that I have a hard time diving with as well. Here are some buddies that I have rejected:

Shark Fighter. This guy shot a grouper and in a thrice a Bull was on it. He tried to beat the shark off with the butt of his spear gun and thought he had won when the shark finally swam off. The funny part was that the shark took all but the head. :D

I Don't Get Narced. Denial: not just another river in Egypt. These guys insist and insist LOUDLY that they have never been narced. When given details of sloppiness at depth they blame ME for pointing them out.

Liar, liar plants for hire! If you came up with less than 500 psi, don't tell me you had over a thousand! If you are diving anywhere near me, I probably already KNOW what you came up with. Trust is essential in any diving situation.

What's an SPG??? Run low on air consistently? Find another buddy. Three strikes and I am looking elsewhere.

Weight, weight, don't tell me! Really, kicking the bottom like that irritates the crap out of me. Lose the lead! :D

I have one.
RIG UP YOUR STUFF. I hate diving with people who have octos and gauges, slates, lights, etc. flying in the current, dragging them over the top of the reef. Buy a clip for pete's sake.

Rick Inman:
One more note. It's possible to overlook some of these if said dive has a nice boat. :wink:

What's your list?

Boatless divers who think I'm a a hole, but are nice to me because I have a boat....:D

I've posted my list here a zillion times. Anyone who's been here awhile knows my three basic dive buddy rules:

1) I won't buddy up with a Rebreather diver

2) I won't buddy up with the mobidly obese

3) I won't buddy up with a hunter

Aside from those three I'll dive with just about any reasonably fit and properly geared diver.

---
Ken

Those all look like pretty good points.

I have real issues with folks who agree to all things discussed during the pre-dive planning but then do their own thing anyways and ignore major points talked about during the planning.

dherbman:
Ken, how do you dive with a photographer? They seem to be hunters, in a sense.

Photographers move very slowly, very cautiously over the structure. The are observant, appreciative, and generally pretty skilled. I'm not talking about divers with cameras, I'm talking about photographers.

Hunters are generally none of these things. They race, they silt up, they root around, they blast over things and past things of interest in single-minded pursuit of whatever it is they want to kill that day. I'm not a fish hugger. I just don't hunt. No biggie, but its not for me.

There couldn't possibly be two different groups.

I dive very slow. I don't bounce off stuff anymore. I don't silt up the place, I could spend most of a dive looking at one rock and marveling at the hundreds of lifeforms within a square meter.

And I generally dive with my Camera, and I am quite happy spending 5 minutes composing a shot, or waiting for the slack to get the shot I want, or the light I want. I'm very patient underwater.

I will not dive with hunters. The only exception is when I'm lobster hunting. But as any SoCal knows, lobstering is not diving. Its hunting. Big difference.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom