Why I won't dive with you.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Last night's dive was a blast. Eight divers showed up, the youngest just 14 years old and the oldest 68. There were 2 nOObs with 5 dives and two divers who have dived since the 70's. The gear ranged from poodle jackets and snorkels to BP/wings and doubles (our re-breather divers no-showed).

A good time was had by all, and on the drive back I mentioned to my buddy that I would enjoy diving with any of them.

"Really?" he said. "Is there anyone you won't dive with?"

Of course.

"Well, who?"

I thought about it. After I gave him my list, he gave me his, which was a bit different. So, I'll post my list here, and you tell me yours. It's not snobby to have preferences. Diving is about safety and comfort. I know two guys who have been diving together for 20 years and won't buddy with anyone but each other. Nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, here's my list of who I won't dive with:

* Diver who is upset because I called the dive.

* Diver who is a "danger" junky, and always wants to go deeper, or push some risk limit just for the thrill. Or the nark junky.

* Diver who no-shows or is consistantly late and doesn't call.

* Diver who always builds themselves up (ego) by constantly berating other divers gear, skills, etc. I've seen a DIR diver do this to non-DIR divers, and a non-DIR diver do this to DIR'ers. If you're Mister Great Diver you don't have to tell us about it. Your skills will soon show it.

* Diver who can't control their language. I'm not talking about the occasional expletive here, but the person who's mouth loudly spews out the F word every other word in mixed company without consideration for others.

* Diver who remains totally unaware of buddy, even after discussing the issue. These divers have to be chased down during the dive, never notice their buddy, are always getting separated, and finish the dive solo.

One more note. It's possible to overlook some of these if said dive has a nice boat. :wink:

What's your list?

Rick Inman:
Diver who always builds themselves up (ego) by constantly berating other divers gear, skills, etc. I've seen a DIR diver do this to non-DIR divers, and a non-DIR diver do this to DIR'ers. If you're Mister Great Diver you don't have to tell us about it. Your skills will soon show it.
Totally agree with you on that!!

I dont want dive with divers(if i have a choice) who's egos are bigger than themselves and place me in trouble because of that.
And other one is one who thrashes the dive plan upon touching the water.

Anyone who thinks their camera equipment and photo oppoutunities are more important than manners and being alert to the sealife and other divers.

Rick Inman:
One more note. It's possible to overlook some of these if said dive has a nice boat. :wink:
Soooooooooooo, THIS is why you still dive with Uncle Pug??? :D

The only thing I'd add to the list is a diver with junk for equipment. I'm not talking about old stuff, or certain brand stuff, just plain old worn out JUNK.

Divers that think it's ok to light up (not cigarettes!) before a dive.

Additions to your comprehensive list:

* Divers who ignore the pre-dive briefing
* Divers who try to bully me into something I'm not comfortable doing

Ber :lilbunny:

When I first saw the thread I thought, how not nice, but after reading your thoughts I totally agree. I can work with most people, but the ones you listed are hard limits, except like you said if they have a great boat:). I've finally learned I think to ignore the egotistical types.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom