Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course, Brooklyn and Queens are part of Long Island, Staten Island is an island, and Manhattan is an island. So, 4/5 boroughs of NYC are islands, whole or in part, says this former resident of far-west-Long Island.

“This land is your land and this land is my land
From California to the New York island”

Which island was Pete Seeger referring to?

Don't want to bash, but yes. I don't dive often enough to remember all of the details of my computer, so before each trip I download the manual and read it on the plane. Worth it every time.
When I started diving (which was not that long go) the choices were mostly do you want one with a nitrox option or one that does just air, one button or two?Recreational dive computers have come a long way in a short time but it has also upped the complexity.

“This land is your land and this land is my land
From California to the New York island”

Which island was Pete Seeger referring to?
Actually, Woody Guthrie wrote the song, and in his original draft, it said "Staten Island."

Years ago I was assigned to do a swimming pool refresher course for someone with well over 100 dives. She was about to take her annual dve vacation. She had all her own gear, and it was high end. It included a hose-connected AI computer. As she turned on her air, she noted that her computer had read the contents of the tank and determined it was EANx 32. When I told her that her tank had air, and the computer was just reading the nitrox setting she had put in previously, she refused to believe it. She insisted her air integrated computer always analyzed the contents of her tank. I told her the dive shop did not have the ability to make nitrox, and she finally believed me.

Yikes. I guess it takes all kinds.

Yikes. I guess it takes all kinds.
Yikes, indeed. In a related story I have told before...

Years ago my wife and I were out on a dive boat with another couple and a DM, who will remain nameless because I don't even remember the op, and the DM got really aggressive with his depth on the second dive. My wife and I looked at our computers and decided to stay shallower while the other couple stayed with the DM.

When we got back aboard, the guy of the other couple noticed that I had the same computer as he had borrowed for their trip (an Oceanic puck), and he asked me why his was flashing. I told him that it meant that he had missed a deco stop and the computer would be inoperative for the next 24 hours, and he should probably take it easy for the next few hours and watch for symptoms of DCS.

He argued with me that the computer was just "f'ed up", and as evidence he showed me the (also borrowed) similar computer his wife was wearing, which was also flashing. "See? Hers is f'ed up, too!" He angrily asked me, "What are we supposed to do for computers on our afternoon dives?" I reiterated that they probably shouldn't dive again for a while, but he didn't want to hear it. I started to tell him that they might as well just dive without the computers since they were going to ignore them, anyway, but he was a lot bigger than me. ;^)

I hope they survived their trip.

PS: It might have been the same DM that I once saw send his computer up attached to his SMB before the end of a dive.

PS: It might have been the same DM that I once saw send his computer up attached to his SMB before the end of a dive.
...and I saw a DM send his computer down on a line at the end of a dive so it could do the required deco. At least in that case it was a little more reasonable, because he had done the dive on nitrox, but the computer was on air.

Well, I think it is safe to say that there are 2 types of divers in this world these days... Those who did the old school training and wanted to pursue this as a life-long past time and those newbies who want to get rapid-certified with an online course and jet off somewhere for their OW check out dives so they can immediately take selfies or pics of each other harassing sea life that they can post on their social media forums and scream LOOK AT ME BEIN' ALL RAD! Buncha idiots. I've been diving with them, you've been diving them and when we all splash we get the F away from them. 'Nuf said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom