Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PS: It might have been the same DM that I once saw send his computer up attached to his SMB before the end of a dive.

...and I saw a DM send his computer down on a line at the end of a dive so it could do the required deco. At least in that case it was a little more reasonable, because he had done the dive on nitrox, but the computer was on air.

None of that surprises me. I remember a DM that would use one computer for morning dives and another for afternoon dives.

Of course I've heard stories from older cave divers, like tying a line to their computer before moving to the next stop so the computer doesn't lock up from skipping parts of deco.

When I started diving (which was not that long go) the choices were mostly do you want one with a nitrox option or one that does just air, one button or two?Recreational dive computers have come a long way in a short time but it has also upped the complexity.
Uwatec Pro-nitrox was available at least in 1996.
Like the old Sunnto in which the user cannot readily change from air mode to nitrox mode or vice versa. The only solution was to set air dive to nitrox 21.

Part 2 and 3 are immediately following the first post. Rather than starting a new thread with part 2 and 3 and sending the reader all over the forum, it's just a three-part post. SB doesn't allow posts beyond a certain number of characters, so I had to break it up.
What is your plan for future diving after your second skin bend?

Guthrie himself produced many versions, with different lyrics. His original version did not even have the line "This land was made for you and me" in it anywhere. He was originally writing an angry, depression era response to the popularity of "God Bless America," and his repeated refrain was "God blessed America for me."

To get an idea of the mood of his various versions, here is one later verse that he made that you don't hear much:

As I went walking I saw a sign there
And on the sign it said "No Trespassing."
But on the other side it didn't say nothing,
That side was made for you and me.

Guthrie and Seeger were close friends and frequent collaborators. As for Guthrie's attitude about others singing the song, here is what he printed on the official copyright papers:

This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright # 154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it without our permission, will be mighty good friends of ourn, cause we don't give a dern. Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote it, that's all we wanted to do.​

While it's debatable where US healthcare quality ranks among various countries', I set my expectations lower in many of the places outside the US I dive, and that includes Mexico. My expectation of a lower standard of healthcare is a factor I take into account in setting my dive conservatism. In some places, there's no ambulance, no chamber, no nothing. Nevertheless, three typical Coz-style dives per day for five days would be within my comfort zone. Sorry to hear about your experience, @living4experiences .

Well I got the full blown bends in cozumel 10 years ago and had TOP NOTCH care from dr piccolo. Do you all really think your family physician at home has a clue about the bends. My primary doctor looked at me like eh. The hospital I was at in cozumel was cleaner than any hospital i have been in the USA. Dr piccolo and also dr Garcia the dan doctor are top NOTCH in my book. Sorry about ur bad experience. Most doctors in the Yucatan went to school at Baylor and rice in texas. People talking about poor health care In a cozumel. I've only had the best care and trust them more than your family doctor in catmando or wherever u may be from.

I always have travel insurance whenever I travelled. If I am worried about the standard of medical care or political stability of a foreign country I stay at home.

Don't worry and be happy.

Enjoy your next diving/travelling trip.

Well I got the full blown bends in cozumel 10 years ago and had TOP NOTCH care from dr piccolo. Do you all really think your family physician at home has a clue about the bends. My primary doctor looked at me like eh. The hospital I was at in cozumel was cleaner than any hospital i have been in the USA. Dr piccolo and also dr Garcia the dan doctor are top NOTCH in my book. Sorry about ur bad experience. Most doctors in the Yucatan went to school at Baylor and rice in texas. People talking about poor health care In a cozumel. I've only had the best care and trust them more than your family doctor in catmando or wherever u may be from.

You mention feeling sorry for the OP's bad experience, but since you're replying to my comment I'll venture a reply. I wasn't denigrating the doctors in Mexico or anywhere else. As you point out, most doctors worldwide are well trained. The problem is not the doctors but rather other staff and, moreover, the medical infrastructure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom