Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking as a US-trained physician with decades of experience who has accessed medical care, including for serious conditions, several times in Cozumel I must agree. If I can somehow manage to drag myself to Cozumel for care, I'm going to try. The care is considerably better there.

Fortunately, I am blessed with good genetics. I've never gotten injured or sick abroad during my travels to 40+ countries in the past 40+ years, and so I've never had to seek healthcare anywhere but at home.

My friend got pneumonia while we were in Ecuador. He checked into the ER, and was told that he would have to pay full price, in cash, since he was not a citizen of Ecuador. He got an IV, a full battery of labs, chest x-ray, IV antibiotics, and then he was discharged with all of his meds to complete the treatment of his walking pneumonia. He didn't even have to stop at the pharmacy on the way back to the hotel. He paid the bill, in full, in cash, for his ER visit, labs, x-rays, IV antibiotic and all of his take home medications -- $125 USD.

I am so glad that I live in the greatest country in the world (USA) with the greatest healthcare system in the world (USA). LOL

I am so glad that I live in the greatest country in the world (USA) with the greatest healthcare system in the world (USA). LOL

It is a freaking joke. I recently had to get an MRI and the out of pocket costs differ by zip code. How is that even a thing?

It is a freaking joke. I recently had to get an MRI and the out of pocket costs differ by zip code. How is that even a thing?

Because that is how Medicare pays providers, which insurance companies use as a base for their payouts. So either way if you are on a cost sharing plan that amount is based on how much is being paid.

And why should a MRI cost the same in NYC than it does here in Florida where the costs are dramatically lower?

Agree. Healthcare in the USA is about making CEOs and shareholders rich by denying care.
It is not about providing healthcare.

The courts have ruled that insurance corporations are NOT practicing medicine without a license when they deny care. Both the healthcare system and the judicial systems in the USA are completely broken. Thanks, in large part, to lawyers.

I got a simple knee brace in January. It cost $900, which I had to pay myself. I asked why it cost so much. The company supplying the brace told me, "It's January. You haven't met your insurance deductable. We can charge you whatever we want, because you either pay it or you don't get the brace."

I'm about to go in for major surgery on my cervical spine in a couple of days. Can't wait to see that bill. People should keep in mind that the stereotypes of foreign medical care are malarky. I have received better medical care around the world than here and oh, so much cheaper. Just because something doesn't look familiar or come with a giant price tag does not mean it is substandard.

In many ways the US healthcare system is years behind other countries. I'll go to Brazil for that butt lift and Thailand for the katoy surgery.

Would that evaluation hold true across the board of all hospitals?
There was a recent story about a couple in a scooter wreck. They did not have a lot of money nor trip insurance so they went to a public hospital where they barely survived.
I'll go to Brazil for that butt lift and Thailand for the katoy surgery.
Are you really getting a lift? I'm not going to ask about your katoey plans.

There was a recent story about a couple in a scooter wreck. They did not have a lot of money nor trip insurance so they went to a public hospital where they barely survived.

Are you really getting a lift? I'm not going to ask about your katoey plans.

PUBLIC HOSPITAL??? Mexican don't even go there. If you work, you go the SS hospital at least. And if you make any kind of money, you get private insurance and go to a private hospital. (Like International.)

My wife received excellent care at the International Hospital for ear pain and vertigo while diving during our last trip. The young lady who treated her was professional, thorough, pleasant and not at all rushed (unlike most doctors in the US it seems). We both joked that since we're in Cozumel so often anyways she should just make her her primary care physician. Oh, and she gave us a tour of the chamber afterwards, which was very cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom