Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The culture and medical care are vastly different in Mexico compared to the USA.

Speaking as a US-trained physician with decades of experience who has accessed medical care, including for serious conditions, several times in Cozumel I must agree. If I can somehow manage to drag myself to Cozumel for care, I'm going to try. The care is considerably better there.

Speaking as a US-trained physician with decades of experience who has accessed medical care, including for serious conditions, several times in Cozumel I must agree. If I can somehow manage to drag myself to Cozumel for care, I'm going to try. The care is considerably better there.

I have ended up in the hospital a few times in Cozumel for serious ailments and have always left impressed with the level and quality of the care they provided to me.
Would that evaluation hold true across the board of all hospitals?

Would that evaluation hold true across the board of all hospitals?
I have only been in the Hospital Médica San Miguel de Cozumel and the Cozumel International Hospital.

A friend who works on a cruise ship out of Miami had to have emergency abdominal surgery while her ship was docked in Cozumel. The cruise line left her on the island by herself, but later they got her a budget flight back home to Jamaica. She said they treated her very well at the International Hospital, but definitely wasn't happy about the trip home having to fly a 4-leg set of separate flights through 3 US airports, plus a layover; all while recovering from major surgery.

Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO)

TEE test is simple enough. They give you a little versed to calm you down and slide a camera/probe down your esophagus. You dont even get put to sleep.
I wouldn't put a TEE as a simple procedure. I had it done and a lot of my friends have had it done. It is considered a semi-invasive procedure.
"What should I expect during a TEE?

A doctor will perform your TEE test with the help of a nurse or technician and personnel from the anesthesia department. You will be connected to machines that monitor your blood pressure, heart rate, and oxygen levels during the test. You will be given a mild sedative by an intravenous line (IV) to help you relax. You’ll remain somewhat alert so you can cooperate with the doctor and staff. If the TEE is being done in conjunction with other electrophysiology procedures you may be given general anesthesia.

The TEE test may cause some mild throat discomfort, but it should not be painful. The back of your throat will be numbed with an anesthetic spray. Your throat will feel cool, and you may get a bitter taste in your mouth. You will need to remove any full or partial dentures. To protect your teeth, a plastic mouth guard will be placed in your mouth. You’ll need to press your lips around the guard."

I have had friends that were not able to tolerate a TEE and ended up getting a "Dye Test" to rule out a PFO.

No one does a belly flop intentionally. I guess that he actually dived into shallow water and hit bottom. My old home dive bud who did OW with me told me how his first wife did that in Acapulco on their honeymoon. Back to Brett, I'm glad to hear his surgery went well and hope that he had good trip insurance or that his home medical covered in Mexico altho the latter is not likely.

I've heard lots of good stories from Cozumel International Hospital, and it was good that his family was already with him, but I think I would have been asking DAN how fast they could medevac me to Houston.

Wow. You are on a roll.

1. So.... Brett is lying about the belly flop?
2. Cozumel International Hospital directed billed Blue Cross for most of Susan's bill. DAN only picked up like 700? While I support trip insurance, the bill never made it to them.
3. While I get the thought, I would also be a little worried about bouncing in turbulence with a loose spinal fracture.

What a story that guy had, thanks for sharing. We saw him at the hospital when we got our covid tests to return home and he was moving remarkably well and was preparing to fly home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom