Why hunt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All this hormone imprinting & such is all very interesting, but there are always exceptions. The petite little lady who supplies much of my venison is one of the very best hunters I know. Kills more with a bow and arrow than most men do with a thirty-ought-six. Butchers her own too. She is a loving mother and wife as well as a deadly hunter.
Rick

yea but the reason she is so remarkable and exceptional is that she is the exception, yes? I mean, I have never know a woman like that in my entire life. I hear about them but I don't run into them. Maybe where I have lived....

catherine96821:
yea but the reason she is so remarkable and exceptional is that she is the exception, yes? I mean, I have never know a woman like that in my entire life. I hear about them but I don't run into them. Maybe where I have lived....
I think regional influences do have a bearing. Here in the hinterlands of LA (Lower Alabama) there are quite a few hunting ladies, many of them quite good. Of my four sisters, one is a hunter and a good one. The Lovely Young Kat, my bride, doesn't hunt with gun or spear, but she consistently catches more fish than I do (and never lets me forget it), and her pistol group is tight.
Rick

I've split the aquaculture discussion off into its own thread here.
Rick

I also hunt on land as well as water and the rewards are great. The day, the difficulty in the hunt, challenge? the choice of what to take, or not. The quality of the prey taken. I bow and rifle hunt, last year I got seven. In Ga. we are allowed ten doe's and two bucks as they are an agricultural pest! Not to mention a hazard to motorist as their numbers continue to rise. I don't know what else to say except this; I cannot explain to someone ,who has not tried to hunt, the sense of accomplishment getting a "big" one out of the water or a out of the woods by myself after dark. Awesome! M60 ....Geronimo!!!!

I'm a long time land hunter, would be u/w hunter....Lots of posts have tried to make the hunters perspective undersandable. Some quite to the point, and well done
I cannot offer a better response, except to say that there is,for me at least,a difference in hunting,and killing. (although I know "killers"- I chouse not to hunt with them)
I hike, camp, dive, ect., But only hunting, brings the true awareness of ones suroundings...Hunting is just different.

Hunting is to be truely alive!

Killing, on the other hand, can be profoundly sad ,(you just have to be there) the tougher the hunt-- the tougher the kill, I'm not a good enough writer to convey; I think the killing part instils a special responsibility to treat the "kill" with respect

Hell it may be a hormomal thing, I dont know, but I know women who hunt, and those who I know love it

Can suggest reading;
The best I've read on the subject,Thin,well writen volume,but echos,and expands thoughs (of the true hunters here) if you are so inclined....

Meditations on Hunting
Jos'e Ortega y Gasset
Wilderness Adventures Press, Inc.

I can tell, by that reply, as well as from posts; that you are a hunter.
I've taught men, women, and chrildren to hunt, because , I believe ,the act of hunting is a whole different thing,(in and of it's own self) also because as the knowlege was passed to me, it became my obligation to pass it along- to the right kind of person. (kinda like a divemaster sizing up the people on a boat)
t
Hunting incresses the awareness, and incures a ton of ethical issues, not found a in a responsibiliy found - in the everyday "contiuince" of life,( shopping ) as per the origonal post.
I just think killing your own dinner is the single, most honost thing that you can do in this world, at least to my perspective.
Were not talking cows here (the bovine species is just "meat that go's "Moo", if you've been there-I' been there done that)
BTH; don't want to get wordy here, but I'd love to dive/ W' like minded indivualls anywhere, anytime, If I can get away,..... it's them
what --give Me the the "creaps- that give's me the Creaps

"why hunt" show me a carnivour that doesnt (unless it is in a zoo) it is generally the natural way of obtaining food to consume. Plus u can pick and choose without being shouldered by rude shoppers, or road raged in the parking bay.

I'll be diving regardless, whether I hunt or not doesn't increase my costs after I've bought the gun and/or polespear. I enjoy fresh fish, but freeze some as well. I preffer this method over buying fish from the market because I know there wasn't any bycatch involved. With that in mind, I don't hunt everytime I dive. Typically, I'll hunt one day and then I'll bring my camera along for all the following dives until I've depleted the meat in my freezer.

I really do find spearing fun, but I really find photographing fun too :D

I'd really like to know how many people, that don't agree with spearfishing, eat fish. I would guess most...

Back
Top Bottom