Why hunt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Supernal:
With all the fresh seafood in every grocery store nowdays, why go hunting? Isn't it more expensive to go get it yourself?
"Fresh" isn't fresh at all when it comes to grocery stores. The quality of a truly fresh fish - one that was swimming earlier the same day - well, the grocery store variety isn't even in the same league with it.
And yes, if I were to look at it from a strictly financial standpoint my fresh fish I get spearfishing is the most expensive fish I eat. But it is also by far the best.
IXΘYΣ

It's also fun and challenging.

Also, it's the most ecologically friendly method of catching seafood. You wouldn't believe the amount of bycatch associated with commercial fishing.

Why go fishing with a rod and reel? Because with many things, the process is the most rewarding aspect, not necessarily the end result.

(even though the end result in this case is usually delicious!)

Supernal:
Isn't it more expensive to go get it yourself?

I'll focus on just this portion of your post. I hunt bugs (lobster)

6 lobsters will sell for $19.99usd each for a rounded total of $120 in Albertsons grocery store.

My costs - I dive a private boat
2 tanks - $15
Boat Gas - $20
Total - $35

That's a pretty good reason to get in the water!

disclaimer notes:
1. I don't sell any of my catch, that's illegal
2. Take 4 guys on the boat and costs go down
3. Leave the boat home and shore dive, and it's cheaper
4. Freedive from shore, and your post just went up in smoke.
5. My girlfriend provides additional benefits if I come home with lobster.

I just love fishing, and I really love finding new and different ways to cook what I catch. I free dive, scuba, offshore troll, and flats fish. Even if I don't catch a thing though, it's still a good day fishing. The experience and serenity of it are it's own rewards. Actually getting what your after is a bonus in my book. Except offshore trolling, there's just no good reason to do that if you don't catch anything ;-)

I'm going flats fishing tonight in fact. I have a spot where I know on certain tides, and at certain times of the year, the trout and red fish are so thick the water almost boils with them, sometimes :D. Since it only happens after the sun sets, no one ever sees me out there, and I keep it all to myself. If I catch absolutely nothing, it will be worth the trip to just be out there on my boat, and fish. It takes my mind off of the misery of the work week. Some people golf to take their minds off of work, I choose other things. Scuba, free diving, fishing the skinny water, they all make you focus on what you're doing right then. Regardless of the perceived challenge, or the cost.

If you don't have enough stress in your life to know what I'm talking about, good for you. Congrats on your care free lifestyle.
Jason

Why hunt? For me, amazingly, living on the water in Belize, if I don't fish or spear fish, I don't eat it because it's just not available in the "supermarkets" we have here. (our supermarkets are smaller than the average vegetable section of a Kroger or Safeway). Plus, it is E friendly compared to other methods of getting wild fish. But most of all, it's fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom