Why hunt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X:
When I incorporated hunting and gathering along with my culinary skills, then and only then, was I able to understand the true sense of honor that I needed to have for each and every one of the living creatures that I use to foster life. I love to harvest wild mushrooms, herbs and vegetables. I bring the same sense of honor into my kitchen when using them as well.

Buying fish, beef, chicken and other creatures from the store insulates us from the life that each of these animals gave up to prolong and foster our own.

How ZEN of you O2X!! Now bring me my bloody rib!! :D

I do agree with you. I have a lot more respect and enjoyment for the game I've hunted vs. just going to Safeway and getting some beef. I also think that a wild animal has a MUCH better existance vs. an animal raised to slaughter. I also don't really enjoy the killing aspect, but it's a part of the whole experience.

Hunting at least in CO provides huge benifits to the wildlife, and the environment in the State. It's funny how many *green* people believe in environmental responsibility, however when asked to contribute to said cause, well, they generally don't. They often don't even pay the nominal fees required at trail heads where it's self serve, and little enforced based on my personal observations.

Hunters OTOH do, and in a huge way. An out of state Elk tag is close to $500 here in CO for the opportunity to hunt ONE season (less than one week). Hunting provides the majority of the revenue that the DOW needs to help manage our wildlife. This is not just about paying for a salary, or a vehicle, but rather game population management (necessary as we KillT off all the predators), and re-introduction programs like that of the Lynx here in CO.

The DOW is extremely underfunded, however they could not exist without hunters and the revenue they bring.

I want to try out some spearfishing, but have never cleaned a fish in my life. :D

Neither has my wife, I would be screwed. :(

wilkie:
I cannot offer a better response, except to say that there is,for me at least,a difference in hunting,and killing. (although I know "killers"- I chouse not to hunt with them)

This is one reason that I have no respect for Cheney and his Hunts. Killing a hundred farm raised tame birds that have little fear of humans in the name of hunting is just sick. It's NOT hunting, it's is purely killing. What type of person enjoys that?

cyclical:
I want to try out some spearfishing, but have never cleaned a fish in my life. :D

Neither has my wife, I would be screwed. :(

If you can learn to dive, you can learn to clean a fish!! :11doh:

I doubt there is a boat captain alive that does not know how to clean a fish. Compared to cleaning a Turkey (pure nasty), or Deer/Elk, cleaning fish is rather easy (unless they have a mouth full of teeth, then make DAMN sure they are dead!).

I'd suggest that if you want to learn to spearfish, that you pay someone to take you out that knows what they are doing. They will CERTAINLY teach you wnat you need to know.

RonFrank:
If you can learn to dive, you can learn to clean a fish!! :11doh:

I doubt there is a boat captain alive that does not know how to clean a fish. Compared to cleaning a Turkey (pure nasty), or Deer/Elk, cleaning fish is rather easy (unless they have a mouth full of teeth, then make DAMN sure they are dead!).

I'd suggest that if you want to learn to spearfish, that you pay someone to take you out that knows what they are doing. They will CERTAINLY teach you wnat you need to know.
Well in Panama we cook fish head and all... so I could just cut it down the middle and take out the undesirable parts and throw it on the grill.

For me, personally, the fish I get myself are cheaper. I live in TN so selection and freshness are two things our markets dont have. After having fresh seafood, I cannot revert to storebought. By the time it is shipped to a seafood market, the price is high. Ill get it myself and bring it home. Also with commercial fishing, they are casting a wide net, catching many things they dont use. By doing it yourself, I think you are conserving more because you know what you are bringing in. No indiscriminate killing...just a thought

Johnoly:
\
disclaimer notes:
1. I don't sell any of my catch, that's illegal
2. Take 4 guys on the boat and costs go down
3. Leave the boat home and shore dive, and it's cheaper
4. Freedive from shore, and your post just went up in smoke.
5. My girlfriend provides additional benefits if I come home with lobster.
Girlfriend benifits Priceless.....even if u pay for a spot on a boat.... where i go it cost $45... and in the store lobsters cost 17.99 per lbs if u get 6 4 lbs lobsters that equals $431.76 my cost for hunting..... to fill 2 tanks.... $4 boat spot $45 gas to get there $5 parking free.... tip boat captain $1O...... TOTAL expense: $64 - store price: $431.76 = $367.76 in savings... now thats the reason i hunt... i can dive another 5 times that another 30 lobsters....lol

Back
Top Bottom