Why Dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colostomy seems to be the same as stomi, yeah.
Of course, he didnt install the bag on himself tho, but on the suit :p

Jarrett:
Trying to decide if its even worth it. The water temps around here don't get below 50 that I know of and don't generally stay there for very long. Right now they are at 56-63 in the area lakes. I don't have any plans of travelling anywhere the water is colder than that.

I dive 50-58F waters with a 7mm jumpsuit, and I just got a 6mm hooded vest which makes it even more comfy.

The only reason I'm researching drysuits is that I get cold between dives; sometimes I'm at my coldest before a dive, especially if my suit is still damp from the previous day.....

The Kraken:
Case in point. To dive my 7mm farmer john/jacket requires 22# of weight. To dive my Bare XCD2 "Tech" dry suit requires 14# of weight for the same dive.

Mo2vation:
• Using less lead - I use less lead. I didn't say less weight, I said less lead. By moving to a heavy BP and a Steel tank, I use a lot less lead than I did when diving my 7mm and the jellybean AL tank

Ken, adding a switch from Al to Steel tanks to the equation is a separate issue from drysuits, unless you're referring to doubles. I don't think it's a fair consideration, because you don't have to dive steel to dive dry, or vice versa (again, unless we're talking doubles).

I will say that I actually need MORE weight (about 4 lbs) diving dry than diving in my one-piece 7mm. Farmer John-style suits that leave you with 14mm over your core, OTOH, might see a weight benefit.

Diving wet is simpler and more streamlined, however, and does make you feel a bit more "as one" with the water. And in genuinely warm water (75+, I suppose, with the important caveat that the weather is also warm), I don't see the point in adding the complexity of a drysuit.

But overall, yes, in waters getting down to 55 and lower, DS diving rocks my world. :) 55-60 is debateable for me and would depend on other factors, but 55 and under there is no question in my mind that DS diving will be a better overall experience. (unless you are lobstering)

CompuDude:
Diving wet is simpler and more streamlined, however, and does make you feel a bit more "as one" with the water. And in genuinely warm water (75+, I suppose, with the important caveat that the weather is also warm), I don't see the point in adding the complexity of a drysuit.

But overall, yes, in waters getting down to 55 and lower, DS diving rocks my world. :) 55-60 is debateable for me and would depend on other factors, but 55 and under there is no question in my mind that DS diving will be a better overall experience. (unless you are lobstering)
Which is why i consider using a wetsuit for those hot summer days.. Then I actually feel like i took a bath while down there as well :p
The problem in 60 degrees isnt so much getting suited up and doing the dive. What sucks in 60 degrees is that the temprature on land can easilly be quite chilly and you wont be able to make me put that wetsuit back on for a 2nd dive.. Therefore, below 60 = drysuit as far as im concerned

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom