Why Dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dry can also be a matter of comfort OUT of the water too. I am comfortable diving down to the 40's in my 7mm. But only on a warm day. I made a few shallow dives 2 weeks ago. Water temp was 58. I was great in the water. But it was cold and windy on the surface. So I was forced to strip, dry off and put on warm clothes during the surface interval, then climb back into a freezing wetsuit for the next dive.

This was the dive weekend that finally opened my eyes to dry suits. Had I had one, I would have been very comfortable between dives, and not dreading the suit-up for me next plunge. Now, if I can keep myself and my family out of the ER for a few months, I might be able to save up for one.

FD

Jarrett:
Trying to decide if its even worth it. The water temps around here don't get below 50 that I know of and don't generally stay there for very long. Right now they are at 56-63 in the area lakes. I don't have any plans of travelling anywhere the water is colder than that.

I only dive wet, but a drysuit would be very useful in TX for the springtime trips to the flower gardens. Temp is around 65 but with all dives in the 70 to 100 ft range. First dive was cool but no problem. As the day wore on, it really starts to sap you and I was only able to make 4 of the 5 dives on the first day. The other dive I spent wrapped up in my bunk. It can be done wet (I'm adding a 5mm hooded vest and chemical heaters) but dry with light undergarments sure looks inviting. BTW, I've done and will continue to do 55 F limiting depth to about 40 ft so I'm not a total WWW.

Is there such a thing as a comfortable dry suit? I was watching an instructor try to get out of one this weekend and it was wrestling match. His wife had to help him or he wouldn't have made it out.

I just received my BARE CD4 ProDry suit. Whoo.
However, 1/3rd of my dives are drysuit dives already. Its SO much more comfortable to get on shore and be DRY when its chilly.
Also, I find boyancy to be easier to control with a drysuit than with a wetsuit.
A 7mm neoprene semidry suit will compress rather much as you descent, giving you less bouyancy. The BARE CD4 ProDry I have only been able to do one dive with, but as its compressed neoprene, its bouyancy change less with depth than a regular wetsuit/semidry suit. The DUI CF200 suit i did a few dives with didnt really change at all.
Also, when diving dry, I find it to be easier to control how much air I use for bouyancy.
So basically I find drysuits to be;
* More comfortable on land
* More comfortable under water (warmer)
* Easier to control bouyancy with.

Jarrett

I've got just 4 words for you!

DUI DOG DAYS RALLY!

http://www.dui-online.com/dog_main.html

The 2007 dates should be out soon. I'm waiting for the folks involved in setting the dates to come back from post-DEMA vacation. I'll post them up when I get them.

After I got back into diving, last year, I decided I'd just dive wet -- as I had done for years. So, here I go on a dive with two friends in their dry suits, I'm in my wet suit (14 mm total) and I just "know" I'm going to be colder because they are in the dry suits! After 30 minutes or so I start to get cold -- but I'm just going to stay quiet because I'm in a "cold" wetsuit -- my choice.

10 minutes later I'm REALLY starting to get cold -- but I'm not shivering yet and I'm not going to call the dive because I'm the one in the cold wetsuit.

5 minutes later Steph comes over to me and gives the "shiver" sign -- I'm ecstatic and go to Dennis and give him the shiver sign and thumb the dive.

As we hit the surface, Dennis spits his reg out and screams "I'm so *******ing cold!" We all start laughing.

The moral of the story -- if you dive in cold water and don't move very much, you can (will) get cold!

Pros of dry:

• Multiple dives, same day are much more comfy

• Surface intervals between those dives rock. The wetties are shivering in their dive parkas, you're chillin in fuzzy undies. The SI is the least addressed benefit of diving dry, IMO.

• You'll never think twice about making a dive. Its tough to get motivated for that 5th dive of the day, or the night dive if you gotta fold yourself into that cold, clammy wetsuit.

• Steel Tanks - you can confidently dive the largest steel tanks in your DS. I'd hesitate diving the bigger steels in a wetty. This also brings up the next point:

• Using less lead - I use less lead. I didn't say less weight, I said less lead. By moving to a heavy BP and a Steel tank, I use a lot less lead than I did when diving my 7mm and the jellybean AL tank

• Easier to don and doff. You can dress like a civilized person - no need to fight your suit to pull it on and peel it off. IN a DS, you step in, zip up, go diving.

• You look better in a Drysuit. Nobody this side of Jessica Alba looks good in a wetsuit. They're just not flattering for most normal people. Me, I look like a Jimmy Dean sausage in mine. Hate it. Yes, I am that vain.... I look better in my DS.

• Better dexterity - properly fitted dry gloves, despite what you may read elsewhere, offer you better dexterity than 3mm or 5mm wet gloves. I wear dry gloves year round in SoCal - hardly a cold place to dive compared to many of you nutbars in the hinterlands (and I mean that in the best way... :10: ) I wear dry gloves because latex seals leak over my wrist tendons when I'm working my camera, and when I'm at 90 feet, the gloves cinch down and give me a better fit. Why anybody would dive dry and still dive wet hands is a mystery to me.

• Unlike a wetsuit, they're easy to fix at home. In hundreds of dives on a Drysuit, I've never ripped a seam. Rip a seam on your wetsuit (easy to do, as the seams are under much more stress than the seams of a DS) and its tough to do a proper repair. Get a hole in your DS, you mend it and your back in the game the same day.

• You will use less gas. For me, its all about the BT. Once you get comfortable in your DS, your core temperature will rise, you will be more relaxed, and you will use less gas. I have found this to be true diver after diver. I popsicle my friends until they get a Drysuit, and the funniest thing happens - all of a sudden they're doing longer dives at the same sites with the same tanks... the only thing that changed is they're not cold anymore. I'm a photographer, which means I move very slowly, and for most of the dive, I don't move at all. Diving in water even in the mid-50's for 80 or 90 minutes at a time with little to no movement would be impossible for me in a wettie.

• The secondary Market is your friend. A DS is a people-shaped bag with a seal for your neck, and a couple for your wrists. There isn't much (short of a full zipper replacement) that you need to worry about. Meaning, you can buy one on eBay without stressing. I've bought / owned 6 right off of eBay. No worries. I've sent buddies to eBay... no worries. Treasures await you, and you'll save the big bux.

Dry Suit Cons

• Casheesh - the price of entry is 3 to 7 times the price of entry into a wetsuit. However, as others have said - your cost per dive will be much less, as they last longer. And because there is some tolerance in a DS (read: wiggle room) you can beef up a bit and still make it work. eBay is your friend.

• Streamlining - people insist they have to work harder to move about underwater in a Dry Suit. I dive a DS 99% of the time, so I don't notice. When I dive wet, I notice I'm colder, I can pee if I need to, and I'm kinda springy. But I've never noticed the "I feel like a bus in my DS" feeling because my DS fits and I'm in reasonable shape.

• A DS takes up more room. I figured my Tri Lam would take up less room in my bag / luggage than my 7mm. Nope. DS, Undies, Sox, Boots, Gloves, Glove Liners, Hose... takes up more room than Wetsuit, booties, gloves. Who knew?!?!

• Rigging up takes a little longer. There is just more to do to get ready to dive. I'm speed dresser, so its no biggie. But I know it takes me a bit longer to rig up in a DS.

• Not ALL dives are better in a DS. I lobstered for years in a DS... it was all I had. I finally got a Wetsuit last season... OMG. SO much better for rolling around in 4 - 10 feet of water than a Drysuit.

• Maintenance - a DS is higher maintenance. Lubing the zipper, powdering the seals, drying it out, matching your undies to the right conditions, venting as you dive, blah blah blah... When I look across the line and see warmth, post-dive comfort and longer BT, this is not a barrier to entry.

There it is. Kenny's DS Prose and Cons. If you’re diving in water in the 50’s and 60’s, and your serious about diving (I’m not talking about doing 20 – 50 serious dives a year, I’m talking about seriously doing 100 to 200+ dives a year) you gotta go dry.

It will take you to a different place as a diver.

---
Ken

Great list Mo2vation. I also dive in Southern California but switch back to a wet suit for about two months in the summer because the drysuit is just too warm above water, and sometimes even below water.

Another point which I dont think has been made yet is that wetsuits are pretty much worthless if you are diving deep cold water. While 50 degrees may be tolerable on the surface in a 7 m.m. wetsuit by the time you hit 200 feet (7 atm) you are only wearing a 1 m.m wetsuit,which would be miserable

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom