Why does sidemount diving takes so long?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Edd can gear up in minutes. :D So it is possible. If you are slow to gear up, chances are its got more to do with you then the configuration. BTW I am one of the slow ones, at least for now.

Last edited:
It can but as stated its a learning process when some one first starts side mount diving is like first starting diving things are new. As you gain experience things become faster and yes if it is a simple dive like a single tank it can be very quick. Side mount gets a bad rap and its unfortunate because it is a great way to dive. A good kit is just not as turn key as a single tank back mount set up can be.

The other thing is that since I dive three very different rigs depending on what I'm doing it can take me more or less time to gear up. Just putzing I have a DR LT tech that I can get in and out of fairly quick. But then I know I am not going to be taking a stage or two, probably not one of the can lights, or multiple reels and spools. For a deep cold water dive or deco class, then it's going to take longer with the extra stuff I have to take with me. Though every dive is, and should be, carefully planned and issues considered, the deep cold deco ones are going to be given a bit more consideration and pre dive checks a little more attention. I won't apologize to anyone for that. They can find another buddy if they have a problem. I have no issues diving alone.

There's kinda four different types of 'setting up'... first configuration, initial set-up, repetitive dive set-up and multi-dive set-up.

1. First Configuration. This is the initial set-up of equipment 'out-of-the-box'. Sidemount harness set-up takes longer than back-mounted doubles, given respective experience. Recreational jacket BCD (single tank) requires little-no set-up.

2. Initial Set-up. First dive of the day/series. i.e. You just arrived at a new dive center on your vacation. With sidemount you need to put weights into the BCD, put bands on the cylinders, fit the regulators and stow hoses. Should take no longer than 5 minutes for a competently trained sidemount diver.
Backmount equivalent:
Doubles - Fit wing and backplate to doubles (may require adjusting steel bands if using rental doubles), fit hoses, route hoses, coil and clip the long hose.
Singles - Fit BCD to cylinder via cam band, fit hoses, clip off octopus, fit LPI, clip off SPG.

3. Repetitive Set-Up. Second/third dive of the day. Remove regs, remove bands. Re-fit bands on new cylinders. Re-fit regs on new cylinders. Re-stow hoses. Should take no longer than 5 minutes for a competently trained sidemount diver.
Backmount Equivalent:
Doubles - Remove regs, remove wing and backplate from doubles. Re-fit wing and backplate to new doubles, fit regs, route hoses, coil and clip the long hose.
Singles - Fit BCD to cylinder via cam band, fit hoses, clip off octopus, fit LPI, clip off SPG.

4. Multi-Dive Set-Up. 'Morning routine' on subsequent days of diving, assuming dive center can re-fill cylinders overnight without having to strip down equipment the previous day. Zero sidemount set-up. Maybe (at most) tidy up the hose stowage in the bands.
Backmount Equivalent:
Doubles - Check regs, route hoses, coil and clip the long hose.
Singles - Very few dive centers fill recreational kit without stripping down... so Fit BCD to cylinder via cam band, fit hoses, clip off octopus, fit LPI, clip off SPG.

I learned a long time ago that I gear up faster than most of the people I dive with. It's not a good thing, it really just means that I end up doing more of the prep work that I can, like taking all of our deco bottles to the water. Slows me down a few minutes and let's them catch up, but still, never missed a dive because someone took 3 more minutes to gear up.

Side mount can take an extra minute to throw the reg hoses in the bands but you can leave it rigged up to avoid that delay. In the water you need a minute to clip tanks but your buddy needed a minute to route their hose too on the surface.

On a typical dive day, I arrive with regs already rigged on my tanks so all that's really left to do is get into my drysuit, put on the harness, clip in and connect hoses...2 minutes tops! I have to confess though, when I first started diving sidemount, I did a lot of dryland practice to become familiar with my rig (I am a bit anal retentive like that).

one of my dive buddies is very talkative and he is very slow getting into the water. He could be fast, he just takes his sweet time, talks to everyone around, and that's just him.

Part of it is me being "methodical."

Jokes aside, I can be fast when needed. When gearing up for a 2hr cave dive, a few extra minutes doesn't really matter. However, on my honeymoon we were doing little rec dives. Time mattered...so I was fast. I got geared up before anyone else, had an issue with my gear (blown o-ring), ungeared, fixed it, regeared, and I still wasn't the last one in the water.

Part of it is me being "methodical."

Jokes aside, I can be fast when needed. When gearing up for a 2hr cave dive, a few extra minutes doesn't really matter. However, on my honeymoon we were doing little rec dives. Time mattered...so I was fast. I got geared up before anyone else, had an issue with my gear (blown o-ring), ungeared, fixed it, regeared, and I still wasn't the last one in the water.

it was a jab at you being chatty, not being inefficient. You tend to get a bit distracted :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom