Why does sidemount diving takes so long?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueOcean2015

Registered
Reaction score
When gearing up why are sidemount divers so slow? I though after you gain some experience it would not take that long?

Nice troll post. I've never been much longer than my buddies, except one guy, because his rig stayed assembled (bpw + regs + weights stay rigged). He was also first to use the mat to change in our drysuits, hence he was done earlier as I had to wait there.

There's also no hurry to gear up, why would you want to rush and increase your chances of screwing up?

How long is too long? What's the rush? Is the terrorist going to get away if I take a few extra minutes to make sure everything is correctly configured and operating as intended? I've dived with others using a single tank and jacket bc that gave me enough time for a nap and good dump before they were ready to get in the water.

all depends on the diver. I can get in the water just as fast as the backmount guys, but I'm efficient.... I do usually carry my bottles to the water separately, but I take them out while still attached and I usually break down faster than the guys in doubles.... All depends on the diver, nothing to do with the gear configuration... In theory..... Unfortunately many people are diving sidemount but aren't "sidemount divers" and that gives everyone a bad rap

there is a different in efficient, racing, and painfully slow. Aim for efficiency. Racing means you make mistakes, and painfully slow frustrates people

Iam not a troll :D My buddy think Iam slow to gear up, and he worries that I will become even slower if want to start on sidemount. So I would hear if it really takes that long time to gear up?

and as we said, it depends on the diver. I can show up at a dive site, and be in the water ready to dive in under 30 minutes for a cave dive, whether that is in doubles or sidemount. I'm efficient. If you're slow gearing up in singles, you have to evaluate why you are slow, and if that time is going to be extended when you're diving.one of my dive buddies is very talkative and he is very slow getting into the water. He could be fast, he just takes his sweet time, talks to everyone around, and that's just him. We pick on him for it, and such is lifeanother of my dive buddies is half cyborg so can't physically gear up as fast as he used to. Nothing wrong with that, but he can get in the water quickly if he has to.I hate gearing up and breaking down, so I do it quickly, but you have to evaluate your situation. Some people in sidemount talk forever to get to the water, and then an eternity once they're in the water because they aren't efficient at clipping their bottles in so they flounder around etc.

I think there is a learning process, much the same as there was when you very first learnt to dive! When you first learn singles, the equipment and config is alien, and kitting up takes time as you check and double check that everything is as it should be.... then as you gain experience, that speeds up, significantly. Sidemount is the same, there is a learning curve, at the beginning, yes, it will take you longer, but as you get more familiar, more experienced, you will get quicker again......

As others have said, it's not a race, but it's nice not to be holding the boat up either... the key is to be as quick and efficient as YOU can, whilst not rushing and making mistakes.... the "Actual" amount of time will vary, and change depending on conditions, experience, equipment etc....

It really depends on the diving. If I am on single tank I will be in the water much faster than a back mount diver but I show up to the boat with all my gear ready I just clip in and go. If I am dropping to 200ft then I have a lot more bottles and a step by step process I use to make sure everything is set. That will be slower and considering its my life I am not concerned about your time line I will not be slugish but it is my life that I am dealing with. Sidemount gets a bad rap because the only divers most people interact with either anrt trained or are doing technical diving and that takes more time. When you get a diver who is trained as his kit set up well and is doing a recreational dive they are often faster in the water. Once you start side mount it is much more comfortable and much more efficient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom