Why does DIR reject quick disconnects?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither of the STAs I've purchased for personal user (two different manufacturers) came with split washers. So yes, it must have been my fault that new SS hardware came loose the first time it was exposed to salt water despite being cranked down tight.

FWIW I now add split washers to the ones I sell.

Just illustrating that anything can be a failure point.

zboss:
Have you ever dropped a tank on a perfectly DIR foot?

Something tells me that that'd be the last time they dove with the "dropper."

Heck, from what I've seen of DIR guys, they're not exactly the sort you'd want angry at you. :D Healthy food and regular exercise make for powerful bodies that you don't want angry. :D

You think that dropping a tank on a foot would end your dive? Heck, it might end your life... :D

Of course, I say this with tounge in cheek. :D

Scubaroo:
Hmmm are 'roids DIR?

Lol...

Dunno that DIR has a protocol for "'roids," but there's medicine for them if you have them... :D

Seriously, nothing I've ever read or been taught has said anything about steriods or the use of such things... But my bet is that if you were to ask a GUE representative, he'd recommend against them. :D

We do have our own sort of "resident expert" on physical conditioning and I'm confident that he'd tell you the same... His name is Cameron and he's at http://www.DiveFitness.com .

Ask him. :D

SeaJay:
Ah, the old QD argument... With hh, no less. :D It' s been a while since we visited this point, man. :D

You say that "a materials change does not eliminate a failure point." To this I would disagree.

Yes, we've been over this before. On your above statement, we will have to simply agree to disagree.

I contend that a change in materials DOES eliminate a failure point...

Changes in materials simply changes failure modes and threshholds, which changes its likelihood (risk), but also the system weight and system cost: it may pragmatically make the odds so small that the risk is close to zero, but it does not actually eliminate them.

Otherwise, you could define any and every rig as nothing more than a slew of failure points. QD's break, bolts strip, cloth of any kind eventually rots or comes apart. Eventually, every seal gives way and hoses, regs, and even tanks have a limited life expectancy. Sure, it may be years or even decades, but it's not unlimited.

Yup, that's exactly right, and despite what you claim, I see that you're slowly coming around to the realization.

For all systems, the reliability trade-off boils down to how much you're willing to invest (money - weight - etc) to improve (or elimiante) components to get to your desired system reliability.

Would you dive with a tank made of plastic (as in the "Romper Room" kind)? Of course not... That would be a failure point, if it survived it's first fill...

Actually, we're researching lightweight composite 3000psi tanks on one project at work - - and one of the tests will be ballistic vulnerability. Overall, we expect taht a severing of the HP hose will be more dangerous than putting a round through the tank proper. Its just a simple system-based risk-benefit analysis.

If we cut to the chase on this whole BS regarding QD's and DIR, the brutal reality is that a QD serves no benefit in a caver or similar overhead environment. As such, it merits being eliminated. However, when you're not in an overhead environment, the lower mechanical reliabilty of an introduced QD can be traded-off against its potential advantages for self-rescue and lower likelihood of drowning in an OW setting to come to a different risk-benefit conclusion.

It all always boils down to what the risks are for some benefit and a decision if that is a net gain or loss, and what your resourcing is to deliver a particular capability.

-hh

That's a lot of talk for justifying the brilliance of equating steel bolts and plastic buckles.

ElectricZombie:
The wing nuts didn't fail...you just forgot to put lock washers on.

Sorry, but it is still an example of a System failure.

System Failure opportunities come in many flavors and modes; "pooh-pooh" them at your own peril.

And for all of the everpopular "Steel is Best!" crowd, consider for just a moment exactly why it is that our Troop's Interceptor body armor with the SAPI plates isn't made of Steel. It is made from what they would herein describe as "mere cloth, sand, and plastic" because of their ferrous myopia.

-hh

jonnythan:
That's a lot of talk for justifying the brilliance of equating steel bolts and plastic buckles.

What part of it did you fail to understand?

-hh

EDIT: sorry, that's a bit terse. To try to anticipate your question, please realize that "something done wrong" is as much of a failure point as "something breaking". For example, a wingnut coming loose for want of a lockwasher.

FWIW, I "pick on" the wingnut because it is an example of a component that could be eliminated from the backplate if you delete the backplate's ability to be used for both single & twin tanks: there is ZERO operational need to switch during a dive from a single to doubles, so this "modularity" feature is really nothing more than an attempt to let the diver save money...not improve reliability/safety. As such, the claimed simplification philosophy is contradicted by its physical implimentation.

-hh

jonnythan:

Heh. :D

-hh:
...despite what you claim, I see that you're slowly coming around to the realization.

...Realization of what? That everything's a failure point?

It's not a "slowly" anything - I've known this all my life.

But practically speaking, you can't refuse to drive to work because the stoplight might accidentally shine green on both sides, causing massive car crashes all over the place.

...The factor of "likelihood" must be factored in... And at some point, you have to stop considering that a meteorite might fall on you, and that it's okay to go outside.

...What point is that in scuba diving? Well, I believe it practical to learn how to don and doff your rig properly, so that it can be done in any condition. If that takes a QD, then so be it... But I would suggest that other methods be learned, so that you're not relying on a piece of plastic which can break (with a frequency, I'm seeing, of about 1 in 250), jam, become something that can't be operated with gloves or cold hands, etc. (They also get in the way of the correct placement of your backup lights.)

For all systems, the reliability trade-off boils down to how much you're willing to invest (money - weight - etc) to improve (or elimiante) components to get to your desired system reliability.

Agreed.

QD's are what... $4? Why would I invest $4, and what do I get for the money? LESS system reliability?

That investment doesn't make any sense to me.

Actually, we're researching lightweight composite 3000psi tanks on one project at work...

Yes, that's why I said "of the Romper Room kind" - so that we wouldn't confuse my intended meaning of the word "plastic" with those high quality composites, which are quite a different material.

I am intimately familiar with composite tanks... My local fire station uses them, and prior to a dive shop opening here, I used to get fills at the station.

For walking around on land, they make sense in terms of weight... But the cost associated and limited lifespan are the tradeoffs.

To a diver, the buoyancy characteristics would be no fun at all. :D

If we cut to the chase on this whole BS regarding QD's and DIR, the brutal reality is that a QD serves no benefit in a caver or similar overhead environment. As such, it merits being eliminated. However, when you're not in an overhead environment, the lower mechanical reliabilty of an introduced QD can be traded-off against its potential advantages for self-rescue and lower likelihood of drowning in an OW setting to come to a different risk-benefit conclusion.

I would agree with you, but I find no problems performing "self-rescues" without any QD's. In fact, I use a continuous harness with no QD's on all of my "recreational" dives where there's no overhead.

In fact, I use a continuous harness with no QD's when I perform my sea rescues - from the squadron's boat. "Likelihood of drowning?" I think not. :D

Now, if you think that a QD is a solution for a drowning victim, then you're seriously off-base. I can list about 500 reasons why someone might become a drowning victim, and the solutions to the problems... But QD's are nowhere in there.

If you'd like more information on the correct way to don and doff your rig without using a crutch like a QD, then feel free to check out http://www.deepsouthdivers.org/homedir3.html . For this discussion, I recommend watching Chapter 12. George also does a nice don and doff at the six minute point of Chapter 3. (Which, by the way, opens up with GI3 saying, "Let's look at this open water rig..." This is a rig with no QD's, which is specifically designed for "no overhead" like you were talking about.)

-hh:
Sorry, but it is still an example of a System failure.

System Failure opportunities come in many flavors and modes; "pooh-pooh" them at your own peril.

Nobody's "pooh-poohing" anything, -hh.

On the last dive, my dive buddy didn't fasten a buckle on her gauge properly. As such, it dropped off her wrist halfway through the dive. Was this a system failure, or the lack of proper procedure?

If you have a car accident and are killed because you weren't wearing your seat belt, would that be a system failure?

The fact that Scubaroo's rig was missing a vital component - was that a system failure, or an oversight on the assembler's part?

And for all of the everpopular "Steel is Best!" crowd, consider for just a moment exactly why it is that our Troop's Interceptor body armor with the SAPI plates isn't made of Steel. It is made from what they would herein describe as "mere cloth, sand, and plastic" because of their ferrous myopia.

-hh

Body armor is made to absorb the impact of a bullet. Metals don't do this... Sand, cloth, and plastic do.

That doesn't mean that it's the best material for diving with, though.

Last I looked, metal car tires weren't selling too well... But you wouldn't want to make an engine out of rubber, would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom