Why do you dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay... I'll post a serious response:

I enjoy diving because I love the ocean. I've spent plenty of time walking along the beach, fishing, being on a boat, etc., but underwater is an entirely different experience.

It's also a challenge. Every dive is an oppurtunity to learn something new, or to get a little better at a particular skill.

-Brandon.

All these reasons that were previously mentioned, except for the drysuit
(I don't have one of those...yet. It's a Florida thing)
But the reason that seemed to be missing,the one I feel carries oh so much weight.
(At least for me)
Because I CAN !
There ,I said it.
Now it's out there.
Can't take it back now.
Not that I would want to.
Because you see
I'm somewhat self-centered
and it's all about ME. LOL

When I was a kid nobody could get me out of the pool. I would stay in for hours and even pretend I was a scuba diver (given my age we can probably blame Jacques Cousteau). Now I really am one. I feel like a fish trapped in a human body.

There is no better place to be than floating on a reef being one with the fishes.

Because I can't imagine not diving

I also like the feelings of weightlessness and that I'm able to visit what feels like another planet. But also, on land, wildlife generally takes off at the first sign of humans. Fish don't seem to be as fearful and let us visit their little cities without immediately swimming for the hills. They seem to go about their normal activities, despite our presence. The first time I had an entire school of fish swim towards me and then engulf me and then swim around me, as if I was just a lump of coral, was an amazing experience.

Because chicks dig guys with lots of complicated-looking equipment.

Seriously though, it all started one fine summer evening...

My cousin and I were swimming in my uncle's lake (an old quarry), just stalking fish and diving down to inspect anything that looked interesting.
After a while, we realized that this sort of diving had a peculiar drawback: We could only stay down for about ten seconds before our air gave out and we had to scramble to the surface. After trying several different ideas, one of which was breathing out of a two-liter soda bottle, my cousin said the words which changed my life.
"Wouldn't it be cool if we had SCUBA gear?"
He wasn't serious, but that night I thought about it. All my life I had had a sort of fear of the water. Nothing major, just a wariness and nervousness whenever I was in it. But what if I could breathe underwater?
A few days later I called up my cousin.
"Hey, guess what? I signed up for diving lessons today!"

Just my story,
McGill

That floating feeling that lasts longer than 15 seconds of freefall...:D

For one hour nobody can invade my being...no phone calls , no cellphones ringing next to me, no one asking me questions ...just the task at hand and the amazing world we never get to experience until we put all of that gear on and descend into the birthplace of life . I really love this activity more than anything else I've done ..including being a musician. Diving really is the best escape drug there is...period.

I spent 72 hours in a hospital, sitting next to my grandpa, watching him die... he died at exactly 94.5 years old, surrounded by his friends, children, and grandchildren, with standing room only. Even the nurse could barely get in the room. I looked around after he died and realized he had done so much in his life... I went home, made a list of everything I wanted to do with my life and started doing it. SCUBA was on it and now I am just a few dives away from my Master Scuba Diver Cert. I just realized there was a whole lot of world out there and I kept telling myself I'd see it later... Then I realized that later was going to come and go awful quickly...

Also, EVERY SINGLE DIVE, I learn something new and improve. What other sport can you say that about?

Back
Top Bottom