Why do so many lose interest in diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's easy to forget. My first post-certification dive was about 2.5 months after my last certification dive, and I initially set the tank up backward (valve on the left). I knew it didn't quite seem right and it worked ok, but couldn't figure out what was wrong until someobdy else pointed it out (rather pointedly, too!). 12 more dives in 5 days reinforced it to the point where I probably won't do that again. It doesn't help that I'm left-handed, and having the valve on the left seems more natural to me.

And actually, now that you are certified, you can set up your rig any way you want. For your own tanks you could just get a left hand valve for doubles and cap it, end of problem.

Bob

Not too sure a bout that. It's actually a required standard to assemble,disassemble 5 times during confined water and another 4 times during ow certification dives. After 9 times I would think a student gets it. If not , why? Maybe they really should not be diving because if they need to adjust something in the water or disconnect lp inflator/connect lp inflator inflator and cannot it could cause problems. Not very self sufficient.
I think we agree here. I had no problems assembling it my first couple/several dives after OW. I think it validates my point that you have to dive regularly--especially right after certification (my first dive was a month later when we got to FL). If assembling/disassembling 9 times worked for me, it should work for everyone, since I am not at all mechanically inclined and very forgetful.
As you suggest, why should there be a problem for anyone after 9 times? If it is a problem for someone, it may be due to lack of diving, and that may be the real reason for quitting.

And actually, now that you are certified, you can set up your rig any way you want. For your own tanks you could just get a left hand valve for doubles and cap it, end of problem.

Bob

Yeah, but then when I travel and have to rent tanks, things are no longer where I'm used to them being. That's fine for the 95% of dives where everything goes according to plan, but when the feces hits the rotary air mover, it could cause a problematic delay and unnecessary angst. I'll stick to the standard for now; when I get a few dozen (or hundred) more dives under my belt, I may have enough experience to make reasoned decisions like that.

People lose interest in diving or any other activity when they have no long term goals. Goals like: explore all major ship wrecks in an area, become a cave diver to explore submerged caves, keep you focus and motivated.

I was wondering about this since I used to dive with some one who has recently stopped diving and I feel is losing interest in Scuba. I also just scored a whole set of gear at a bargain, from someone else, who is no longer interested in diving anymore.

What keeps some engaged and hooked on diving, while to others its just it seems to be just a passing phase. I can tell that there many out there that really have a passion for Scuba. Do you think you discovered or experienced something they did not?

Why do you think this is the case with some losing interest?

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

A friend of mine stopped diving after he had a "near accident". In fact it wasn't a major thing at all but he experienced it like that and wasn't able to get over it. He was a DM.

I've also seen a number of divers who took training at the OW level but stopped diving because they were not confident that their training was good enough. This seems to be the most common scenario.

R..

People lose interest in diving or any other activity when they have no long term goals. Goals like: explore all major ship wrecks in an area, become a cave diver to explore submerged caves, keep you focus and motivated.

I find having fun a good enough goal. When it quits being fun I'll do something else. It's not a job, it's an adventure... :)

In a different view - several divers may have saved their own lives by not continuing to dive. Uninterested divers and those that dive occasionally with little experience may get themselves in trouble by continuing to dive - so by stopping they do us all a favor. Those that want to dive continue to find a way. :D

Now I find that interesting. Having been certified back in the 60s when OW was a real class, I have concerns about the present nature of most certification programs. I certainly don't think OW certification from most of the major agencies is sufficient to create a confident diver. Back then we essentially went through OW, AOW and Rescue in a single 3-week course.

Of course a diver who feels their OW training isn't sufficient (and they are the smart ones in my book) can always taken AOW and Rescue to become more confident.

I've also seen a number of divers who took training at the OW level but stopped diving because they were not confident that their training was good enough. This seems to be the most common scenario.

R..

It's easy to forget. My first post-certification dive was about 2.5 months after my last certification dive, and I initially set the tank up backward (valve on the left). I knew it didn't quite seem right and it worked ok, but couldn't figure out what was wrong until someobdy else pointed it out (rather pointedly, too!). 12 more dives in 5 days reinforced it to the point where I probably won't do that again. It doesn't help that I'm left-handed, and having the valve on the left seems more natural to me.

FYI - the valve handle isn't necessarily always on the same side. Pay attention to where the air comes out (and point that towards your head) not to where the valve handle is.

IMG_04595.JPG

Now I find that interesting. Having been certified back in the 60s when OW was a real class, I have concerns about the present nature of most certification programs. I certainly don't think OW certification from most of the major agencies is sufficient to create a confident diver. Back then we essentially went through OW, AOW and Rescue in a single 3-week course.

Of course a diver who feels their OW training isn't sufficient (and they are the smart ones in my book) can always taken AOW and Rescue to become more confident.
Having read for years all the comparisons of OW decades ago to today, what you say of course makes sense. I also think whether one was very comfortable in water or not at all before taking today's OW course could make a real difference in how they come out of it. AOW and Rescue may come easier and quicker to a "water person" from the start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom