Why do so many lose interest in diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to a study I found on the Internet, scuba and surfing have comparable number of participants every year and comparable really large percentage of first year participants every year. So the attrition rate for both sports is quite high.
Both sports have a lot in common: limited season unless you have a high tolerance for cold or have easy access to warm water; both take significant amounts of practice before they're a lot of fun; and both have at least some element of danger if you make a serious mistake.

You might be into something!!! :)
And that something's called "being independently wealthy". Unless there's a source of disposable income ready and waiting on the far end of that one-way rainbow. :(

I don't want to get too far off topic, but maybe I can tie in Freedom Plate sales with the declining trend in diving.
If you've noticed, I haven't talked about the plate in quite a while now. That's because I don't have any and don't have time right now to risk dumping a ton more money into the project when hardy anybody is buying gear or upgrading.
I did it for ten years. During that time a made and sold about 335 plates including one-off prototypes. in the world of gear manufacturing that's pretty pathetic. There are so many plate companies out there now and they're all fighting for a very slim piece of pie. most or all of them have either heard about or have seen one of my plates. Do you see them duplicating that style? there's probably a reason. The diving public, even the "specialty" diving public is a very fickle and easily spooked animal. They tend to be very skittish and only operate within their very well defined and painfully learned comfort zone. Besides that, the good old seasoned divers that can do anything, make anything work, and have the ability to understand in an instant what I had in mind when I came up with that design are getting fewer and fewer. Most people are scared sh_tless of minimalism and wouldn't in a million years give up their precious security blankets of soft cushy poodle jackets. Dive with no BC!!! Oh my god the horror! New divers and general dive shops will have nothing to do with something as novel and odd as an FP, heck they barely understand what a regular BP/W is.
Then the last nail in the coffin, the FP isn't DIR compliant :( ...Rats!!
When I get inquiries from five people that they want plates, that doesn't warrant spending thousands to ramp up to have them sit around.
I need to make money and hammering out plates doesn't pay the bills.
Keep your eyes peeled though, I just may put a couple very early prototypes I've had laying around here on the "for Sale" sub forum...cheap.

Eric, clean out your in box :)

Tried to send you a PM about buying another plate if you have some to sell

And as to why people drop out, not sure but as someone close to the shore I it don't think it has anything to do with proximity to warm water. All warm water might get you is a larger selection of slightly used gear on craigslist.

Reason People Stop Diving.

1.) You need a buddy, most wont go Solo
2.) Gear is very expensive
3.) They purchase the wrong gear and have bad experiences
4.) Gear needs to be serviced and maintained
5.) Gear needs to be cleaned every time (Massive Time Commitment)
6.) Diving eats up most of the day (Drive to site, Set up, Dive, Pack up, clean gear, Deal with equipment issues)
7.) Its stressful on the body for some people
8.) Further training is expensive and time consuming
9.) Life and Family can get in the way
10.) Its cold in the water
11.) The media scares people (Drive to Dive site is more dangerous)

The list can go on

IMO some people are born to dive others are born to try diving like they try others sports / activities. After 40+ years of diving I have seen hundreds of "divers" come and go. The list of reasons are long and I can say that I've lived thru and continued to dive thru them all; marriage, kids, job loss, sickness, injuries. There are days / nights I may not feel up to diving but stopping for good never crosses my mind except when I wonder how long God will allow me to continue this beautiful and wonderful activity. I am a diver.

I tried skydiving. It was fun, but not something I was willing to commit to. I'll take a once or twice a year dive vacation when I can get it. Others have different priorities. Pretty simple.

Reasons for drop outs
1 . No one to go with
2 do not know where to go
3 never got comfortable in water
cure.....
do not stop at just ow certification. Take at a minimum advance. Answers all above issues.
1. Network with people in class
2 dives may be different location,different conditions
3 more time in water during advance course should add to level of comfort

Some have mentioned lack of comfortability assembling the unit. This was something I had to really concentrate on when I took OW. This is probably not a really valid reason--If I could get it right I would think 99% of all others can.

I think a big reason the for drop rate out is some people just aren't in love with it like we are. Many of them are probably good swimmers, many are probably fast learners and diving is no problem, but there's not that extra something, that enchantment that captivates them.
I used to golf and got pretty good at it, I even had a few lessons from a then PGA tour golfer (Bob Borowitz). I got bored with it and sold my clubs.
I used to road bike back in the early 90's. Got really into it and had a Trek carbon bike and the whole works, did centuries, lots of climbing (Sonoma county is famous for Pro training) got to where I was riding 250 to 300 miles a week. Got bored with it and moved on, sold everything.
Got into hockey skating and was interested in playing adult hockey at the Charles Schulz ice arena. Got bored and quit.
Started diving in the late 90's and still can't get enough. The only thing I wish is that I discovered it earlier in life. I had no idea that I was going to love it this much.
So maybe many of the people passing through are looking for something but diving just isn't it. At least they tried.
And I guess we should be thankful that a few stick around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom