Why do so many lose interest in diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO, the impact of current instruction on someone staying in the sport is relative to the locale and type of diving. I could see it having a much larger impact in cold or low viz environments. In "tidy bowl" diving, if the individual is reasonably confident in the water prior to instruction (weeding out the "nervous nelly's" who may be water challenged) and they have a competent instructor teaching the current guidelines, I wouldn't think a lack of confidence in their instruction would really be a "most common" reason to give up the sport (as long as subsequent dives post instruction were in a similar environment to which they were taught). That seems like a lot of caveats, but my guess would be that encompasses a large percentage of diving & divers in general. All IMHO, via "tidy bowl" diver (N=1). :)

Last edited:
A friend of mine stopped diving after he had a "near accident". In fact it wasn't a major thing at all but he experienced it like that and wasn't able to get over it. He was a DM.

I've also seen a number of divers who took training at the OW level but stopped diving because they were not confident that their training was good enough. This seems to be the most common scenario.

R..

Diving is certainly not for everyone. Many start diving with the best of intentions but don't stick with it. A remarkable event may be one of the precipitating events for leaving. For others, a challenging event is further motivation to continue and improve.

Having read for years all the comparisons of OW decades ago to today, what you say of course makes sense. I also think whether one was very comfortable in water or not at all before taking today's OW course could make a real difference in how they come out of it. AOW and Rescue may come easier and quicker to a "water person" from the start.

Indeed, in a recent study of ~700 divers, the #1 thing that correlated with high "Overall Satisfaction" and a high level of "Preparedness for Open Water Dives" coming out of initial training was a self-reported "Above Average" or "Significantly Above Average" level of swimming ability and comfort in the water coming INTO scuba training."

lowviz:
It gets old and tired, dragging an agency and instructor along with you for every GD "mommy may I" dive you wish to do. I almost gave up too.

Tell the agency police to look for me at any lunar high tide in the Belmar Basin, or the inlets. Wee hours of the morning, two'ish. Alone. I don't log dives anymore either. I dive for me.

I still dive because it is the one thing in my life that keeps me sane. The agencies are a double edged sword, you can learn wonderful things from them or continue on to be subjugated by them.
I hear what you saying but don't you think this is a valuable resource for other people to have if they "CHOOSE" to get more training. It is ultimately your decision on what you want to learn and pursue. I believe it is a good and we are fortunate that there is adequate training available to those who are interested and while you might think this is unnecessary it is very much appreciated by others.
Oops, overlooked this when you first posted it.

I too appreciate that the training/instruction is available. My issue is with shops or instructors that keep pushing the fact that you continually need more training to enjoy diving. I feel that it is best to dive on one's own for a while (with a buddy or not, isn't the issue) to find out what is fun and determine where you may want to go next.

Indeed, in a recent study of ~700 divers, the #1 thing that correlated with high "Overall Satisfaction" and a high level of "Preparedness for Open Water Dives" coming out of initial training was a self-reported "Above Average" or "Significantly Above Average" level of swimming ability and comfort in the water coming INTO scuba training."

This has been my contention for years and has often been rebuked on SB. I am also an old-timer, LACUU, 1970. Having been a competitive swimmer from the age of 4 and a water polo player, I was sure scuba would be a blast, and it was. Probably a self fulfilling prophecy. Others say you don't even need to be a swimmer to scuba dive. I've always thought this is bull**** and certainly do not want this person as my "buddy". I'm not at all surprised that this topic is related to diver retention.

I'm not at all surprised that this topic is related to diver retention.

Note - the research did not address diver retention, only satisfaction with initial training. In fact, since the survey was done among "divers" the sample would be pretty light on people who dropped out.

Might not be a big leap to think that this would be related to retention... but wanted to be clear that there's no data (that I know of) to specifically support that leap.

Do also note that the research showed a high correlation, but being "an above average swimmer" was neither necessary nor sufficient to ensure positive outcomes during initial training.

the point about swimming is a good point, I think.

I didn't swim as a sport, but I was a fish. I spent hours in the pool both with mask/fins and without. I'd do all kinds of crazy things in the pool and I was as comfortable in water as on land BEFORE I ever got certified. Having a love for the water helps, I think. Myself, sister, dad, and wife have all been "water babies" for as long as we can remember. On the other hand, I know people who are panicky in the water and stay well away from diving. They probably should. Water isn't where they're comfortable nor are they enjoying themselves.

IMHO, the impact of current instruction on someone staying in the sport is relative to the locale and type of diving. I could see it having a much larger impact in cold or low viz environments.

A couple years ago I went through my student records and realized that I could account for the fact that about 80% of my former students were still diving ... quite a large percentage of them at technical or professional levels. I train people primarily to dive in Puget Sound ... which is cold water and typically low vis.

But there are a number of factors that contribute to that high retention level. Chief among them is that my students tend to seek me out ... most are referred to me by friends who have either taken a class from me in the past or are fairly accomplished divers with a stake in getting their friends properly trained. This is a self-selecting group of people who are generally motivated toward scuba diving ... often with built-in mentors who will keep them engaged.

Most of the people I know who dropped out of scuba diving did so because they were of an age to want to start a family ... time and money take on a different set of priorities when a baby enters the equation.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's time consuming, expensive, often inconvenient, sometimes scary, hard to find opportunity for if you have a young family and is annoying/worrying for significant others who are not divers.

It doesn't surprise me many drop out. They tried it, they may have even liked it. But except for a few locations scuba is time consuming, expensive. and there is certain amount of "work" involved (hauling gear, cleaning gear, etc.). I also hike. Hiking is so much cheaper, basically free after minimal gear, and much more convenient. If I could see the amount of wildlife hiking that I see diving I give up scuba in an instant and just hike. But I don't see much wildlife hiking so I keep diving. I take photos underwater. That's a constant challenge that I don't think I'll ever master to my satisfaction. If I hadn't added photography to scuba I'm not sure that I also may have decided after awhile that scuba wasn't worth the time and money. If the fish ever all die off then I'll probably give up scuba. I like the feeling of being weightless. I like breathing underwater. But not enough to justify the cost and time. I go to see the fish. I'll admit I don't get quarry and lake divers. Give them credit for being dedicated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom