why do people do this ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
Since Finless is not a usual target her, one might read his post without an overwhelming desire to flame him. In case anyone missed it...
I didn't miss it. I didn't flame you and I won't flame the non-finned one....

One difference I noticed about the 2 accounts though ~ one of them realized and admitted that what he did was stupid and could have gotten him killed, as happened to the original subject of this thread :wink:

Could it be that the reason folks are coming down so hard on you is that they don't want to read about how (or be there in person for) one of your cowboy dives ending with your demise?

The first step to becoming a safer diver is to realize that the dives you are doing are not safe. Until then, you will continue to rationalize and justify and defend your actions... we just hope you do not defend them to death.

Exactly....
....it's obvious that no matter what I might say or admit, it would just attract more commotion, more work for the Mods, etc.

OK Guys and Gals,

let go of your keyboards, step away from this thread and no-one will get hurt.

Can we just call this a day?

grazie42:
..I´d like to hear more from other people doing these kinds of dives (instead of from people who don´t)...maybe thats just me though...

Honestly, I can't say exactly why. I mean, Bob's right about training and preparation and how it will reduce the risk factor. But there are lot's of people out there....tow in surfers for example...who prepare and train their whole lives. But when they take off on a 40+ foot wave there are no two ways about it...it's risky and they could die. Every time they do it. Anyone racing high speed motorcycles or cars has the same mentality. Why? It must be that close brushes with death are exhilarating.
I've done about 70 some dives over 60 meters. I never gave it a lot of thought until I joined Scubaboard and was flamed big time. A bunch of instructors and dive masters would just go when there were no customers. Single tank 80s, air. Some guys did 100 meters on air. Dangerous? I guess so. But all of us were pretty stoked to do it. It is cool dropping down into the blue. I dont know why....but it is. To this day, I keep in touch with some of those folks and no one I knew was hurt bad doing it. I'm not pushing anyone to do it, by any means. But on the other hand, just read and learn from people who do it and don't be so quick to chastise. (as long as they didn't endanger others) They don't give you a hard time for NOT doing it. You can choose to do what you like. But I guarantee you....people will do this kind of thing now matter what. Always have and always will. It's just part of it all.

Finless:
I don't care what anyone says but MOST divers are proud of their deepest dive and even happier if they are the deepest diver in the room.

That's the problem right there.

Personally I'm impressed by people who can go 20+ mins @ 240 fsw every weekend routinely. Bounce dives to 180 fsw don't require any skill.

lamont:
That's the problem right there.

Personally I'm impressed by people who can go 20+ mins @ 240 fsw every weekend routinely. Bounce dives to 180 fsw don't require any skill.

I just met a few divers recently and one of them, within 2 minutes of talking threw out that he went to 180 on his last tropical trip. I asked my friend later if I missed the segue that brought up the topic of deep dives and she said "yeah, when you told him you were a diver" So that does seem to be a big deal for a lot of people. I guess its one of the few points of reference that most people, including non-divers, get. I get that a lot from a few people at work that know I dive. They ask "how deep have you been?" not "what do you see" or "how long were you down there" Since it doesn't really mean anything in the scope of things I tell one 40+ feet (started at 30 feet when he asked the 1st time and slowly worked my way up to 40) and the other one I am up to 350+. They both seem equally impressed (as in not very) and I find it amusing so whatever.
The thing is, people aren't as impressed with the things that you have to quantify. Telling someone that you went 240 for 20 minutes would usually mean that you would have to elaborate on why they should be impressed with the 20 minute part. By the time you finish explaining that then they are no longer impressed and usually bored. Just tell them 240 feet though and women will swoon and men will wish they were you. I get a big kick out of not silting up everything but honestly most divers and non-divers alike could care less about that so if I was looking for an ego boost telling anyone that wouldn't do much. I could go on to explain why they should be impressed and swooning but by that time the 240 ft guy will have them captivated.
I guess it boils down to different personalities and the fact that some people like emphasize the risk factor of what they do because it sounds cool.
I also slammed DD pretty hard in the utila thread and although I still don't think it was very considerate in light of the other divers that were around and with his status here he may inadvertently be a bad influence on newer divers, I was way harsher than I had a right to be as I certainly don't have all of the answers. Taking risks is a personal choice but you have to really be honest with yourself about what the repercussions will be and how it will affect others. Much like suicide the dead person has it the easiest, the people your death impacted didnt ask for it and are stuck dealing with it so saying that it is nobody else's business is a copout in most cases.

I get that all of the time... "How deep have you been?" My Response usually is something along the lines of.. "Who cares how deep you have been, you can see the coolest stuff in the world in 10 feet of water." I guess I am just one of those guys that don't like to brag about stuff I don't find cool. I like this thread, it's pointed out to me people I won't ever dive with.

Matt

Matt, on the Utila trip I quickly came to the conclusion that it was MUCH better to spend an hour at 30 feet than 30 minutes at 70. No brainer for me. Ya see more cool stuff longer.

Kristi beat me to the punch. What she said: I did a PDD (Personal Deepest Dive) in Utila at 104 fsw - but I was WAY more happy with the 2+ min of hovering at 20 fsw trying to get a pic of that brittle star and blenny! It was harder too!

Snowbear: You hit one of the issues exactly: "Could it be that the reason folks are coming down so hard on you is that they don't want to read about how (or be there in person for) one of your cowboy dives ending with your demise? " None of us wants to see DD (or anyone else for that matter) hurt/dead - especially in person! I think that if DD had the training, was on mix and did the dive, sanctioned, within his personal limits - it would have been a "wow" reaction, rather than an "OMG - how could he" reaction.

Back to the thread:
I suspect the original subject of this thread did it for the thrill, the bragging rights, etc. - and dove well beyond HIS personal limits. "Narcosis of the Deep" often starts on the surface.... I carry a pen in my dive log book, a funny little "best father" pen my 11 yo daughter gave me - to constantly remind me to dive within MY limits.

kristi hager:
Matt, on the Utila trip I quickly came to the conclusion that it was MUCH better to spend an hour at 30 feet than 30 minutes at 70. No brainer for me. Ya see more cool stuff longer.

Me too K, Let's brag.... The first day (the one before the rest of you got there) I was so excited by the beauty of the wall that I was bouncing all over the place with my camera chasing "perfect pictures." Jasmine brought me back to earth by suggested that I was behaving like a hummingbird and limiting my down time by using up 3000 psi in very short order...lol...oops! Note to self...get a grip Deba, the wall isn't going anywhere. Thank you Jasmine for being so diplomatic.

You guys missed a real thrill by her being too busy feeding us and keeping the resort in order to be able to dive with us all. Jasmine is a fabulous diver.

When we saw her after the second day's dives, I was very proud to tell her I had managed to work my way up to over an hour on 3000 and still getting on the boat with >500. And Jim was right there to back me up!

I think my longest was something like 75 minutes. 75 minutes on what Steve calls "Utilian drift dives," I just don't know how it gets any better than that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom