why do people do this ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the Utila Trip, 2 other divers and myself witnessed this person go to 182 feet on 28% with out a buddy. The owner of the resort went after him as and my dive buddy were diving on 32%. The owner was on air. I thought he was dead. If you would like his name PM me. He is still trying to justify his actions, just read the Utila Trip reports in the single dive section.

mwrager:
On the Utila Trip, 2 other divers and myself witnessed this person go to 182 feet on 28% with out a buddy. The owner of the resort went after him as and my dive buddy were diving on 32%. The owner was on air. I thought he was dead. If you would like his name PM me. He is still trying to justify his actions, just read the Utila Trip reports in the single dive section.
Dandy Don fess'd up in that thread so its now a matter of public record.

NWGratefulDiver:
I think you rather miss the point.

Guess which group invariably has the higher mortality rate?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Being an astronaut is the highest risk job known (other then being a large scale crack dealer in a bad city maybe) as far as mortality rate. Someone did the first backflip with no training at all. Someone did the first big air in a half pipe with no training. No matter what they teach kids in driver's education, some will still put the pedal to the metal just to see what it's like. And diving is no different. Training? Some will just dive to 200 feet and not fear it. If you watch your air, how hard is it, really? Is it any different than going 130 MPH in a car? Some people are just like that. But I guess me wondering how people can be upset about this is no different than you BEING upset about it. But you can be angry at the wind for making too much noise. It won't change for you. Whatever. Later, Hank

Guess I'm ready then for that 200ft dive on 28%. I'll be leaving my computor topside, since I hate it when it starts to beep for no reason.

ShakaZulu:
Guess I'm ready then for that 200ft dive on 28%. I'll be leaving my computor topside, since I hate it when it starts to beep for no reason.
Yea...It always forces me to remove and replace the battery after every dive.

JeffG:
Yea...It always forces me to remove and replace the battery after every dive.
Duh. Get a second computer! *laughing*

Charlie99:
In the Utila singles trip report thread there was some discussion about a guy that went to 182' ... apparently on a single cylinder ... apparently without a buddy .... AND on EAN28 (a bit more than 1.8ppO2).

Narcosis was involved. Since he survived, you can PM him to ask why people do it.
Nope, not true at all. Stories do tend to get richer with time, who is telling them, speculation, etc.

DandyDon:
Nope, not true at all. Stories do tend to get richer with time, who is telling them, speculation, etc.
Thats right...not a single tank. You had your pony, right?

I was diving the Ventura oil rigs last year, and a couple of Darwins did a bounce to 176; single cylinder and air. Even after the boat captain requested we all keep it to 130. Yeah, lots of bragging, show off the depth gauge, and had to have a beer after. And yeah, that was the end of the dive day for them after that first beer. Glad they got to drink it. I really didn't feel like doing a search and rescue in 380 foot waters!!!!!

JeffG:
Dandy Don fess'd up in that thread so its now a matter of public record.
Oh no - not actually. No one asked exactly what happened, nor commented before or after, just lots of accusations here & later with the audience. Ergo, I never did tell the whole story. Probably won't on this board.

Back
Top Bottom