WHY Dive shops make you Feel GUILTY ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:

How much do you know your LDS technician?
I dive with him.

hoosier:
Do you actually see their working on your gear?
Yes.

hoosier:
Could you figure out who actually worked on your gear?
Sure. The tech always signs the test report.

hoosier:
Don’t you imagine that it can be a sale person or uncertified DM or instructor and your LDS send your gear to somewhere you have never heard?
Never.

Terry

Web Monkey:
I dive with him.

Yes.

Never.

Terry

yeah, when I send my stuff in for yearly service the same guy, that has been there for many years, signs off on it and gives me a plastic baggy with the replaced parts. I trust them very much. Plus, he was trained by mfg.

I take my gear to my LDS...and they always do a good job...even returning my used parts in a plastic baggy. Like I said before, a good LDS will provide service and support for any customer with any kind of equipment...if the equipment was not purchased from the LDS...a good LDS realizes the market in follow on service and support...building customer satisfaction through time.

Terry,

Good for you, BUT please don't generalize your case to the common one.
Do you think how many rec. divers and customers dive with LDS guys?
Do you think how many LDSs perform the service on site? The common routine is just to leave there and pick it up after a few days. Of course, we live in busy world.

Yes, many technicians give the report (sometimes, even old parts) with the regulator. But, who knows what?

Like I said, your case doesn’t apply to most rec. divers and customers because they don’t know the local guys that much (please don’t say, “I do” again. Depending on the divers, to hang around at LDS can be waste of time.). So, if there is a highly reputable place for the service, there is no reason to mind sending your reg. by online. That is, if you don’t have a typical acquaintance with the technicians, your choice is most likely to be relied on the reputation. In addition, if you are deeply against the word, “online”, don’t worry they are usually LDS, too. We are talking each other by online though…… J
Thanks
Web Monkey:
I dive with him.
Yes.
Never.
Terry

hoosier:
Good for you, BUT please don't generalize your case to the common one.
Do you think how many rec. divers and customers dive with LDS guys?

I'll bet if you asked, they'd be happy to dive with you. From what I've seen, most dive shop employees work there because they love any excuse to get in the water.

hoosier:
Do you think how many LDSs perform the service on site? The common routine is just to leave there and pick it up after a few days. Of course, we live in busy world.

They may not do it while you wait, but they should certainly do it in the shop where you dropped it off. If they aren't you should find another place to take your stuff.

hoosier:
Yes, many technicians give the report (sometimes, even old parts) with the regulator. But, who knows what?

You're life depends on their work, you have a right to the old parts and test report. If you're not getting it, you should speak up.

hoosier:
Like I said, your case doesn’t apply to most rec. divers and customers because they don’t know the local guys that much (please don’t say, “I do” again. Depending on the divers, to hang around at LDS can be waste of time.).

That's too bad. The LDS should be a cool place to drop by and say "hi", and hang out for a little while. There's more to life than whatever drives you. Some of the best times in life are when you're not doing anything special.

That is, if you don’t have a typical acquaintance with the technicians, your choice is most likely to be relied on the reputation. In addition, if you are deeply against the word, “online”, don’t worry they are usually LDS, too. We are talking each other by online though……

I don't know where you got that from. I'm not anti-online, I'm just pro-taking-your-business-to-someone-who-treats-you-right.

If the place I use sucked and was run by miserable people, I'd buy over the internet in a heartbeat and put a compressor in the garage.

Terry

Interesting take on servicing, I guess I have been lucky in relationships with LDS. Long ago and far away I serviced my own gear until I put a couple of diaphragms in backwards and was really puzzled when regs malfunctioned below 30 ft...have relied on pros ever since

Well, mine doesn't so I haven't experienced that! Maybe you should consider finding another one.

adurso:
So for annual service on a BC or reg you would mail it back to the on line store? Aqua Lung and Suunto will not warranty anything sold on line so stores will not honor the warranty. Of course as you mentioned you may bring the item to an authorized dealer and claim it was a gift or something.....Suunto comes to mind because a person I know purchased a Suunto computer, at a good price, on line. The computer malfunctioned in some fashion and he brought it to a LDS and when asked where he had gotten it he told them on line. Suunto did repair it, but not as a warranty, I forget what it cost him, but it was not pretty...

ScubaToys is a LDS that has an online presence. And technically I didn't buy it online. I called Larry and placed my order. He shipped it to me. My annual servicing will actually happen when I visit my in-laws, who happen to live about an hour from ScubaToys. I didn't buy Suunto or AquaLung, but I'm sure if I had, it would be covered. :wink:

hoosier:
I agree with him. Why not?

How much do you know your LDS technician? Do you actually see their working on your gear? Most Rec. divers just used to leave the gear at the shop for the service. Could you figure out who actually worked on your gear? Don’t you imagine that it can be a sale person or uncertified DM or instructor and your LDS send your gear to somewhere you have never heard? ...

Didn't know him. And now they don't have one. The last one walked out on them...finally :D ...hopefully their next one will be better and not screw up regs. My last service there (and I do mean LAST) I had to have 4 out of 6 regs reserviced and retuned. Less hassle to mail them to someone you can trust. :wink:

I think some dive shops find it hard when "Customers" Come in to their store with a list of Items they found on an Internet site and want to get the proper size / Fit.

Regardless of how compitent or polite the service is (I Have experienced complete incompetence to bending over backwards for me) It costs the dive shop money to have inventory on hand and employees help you when you have no intention to purchase the equipment your are trying on.

I will spend more money at my LDS so that I can have a face to talk to about equipment problems or concerns. Rather than some Wharehouse sending hundreds of items out daily, and that couldn't care less about who I am or what happens to me in the future.

My biggest question would be whether the online products have a manufacturers Warranty? And who pays the shipping in case of a return (in the unlikely case it is covered) My LDS switches bad equipment on the spot in most if not all cases.

Back
Top Bottom