WHY Dive shops make you Feel GUILTY ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X:
If you are refering to me, then your facts are wrong.
I believe I did mention this in a prior post. My experience happened with a shop near my home in Seattle and not an online retailer.

My memory of this is vague. I don't rememebr it being a regular poster, sush as yourself. I'll see if I can find that post. it just sounded a bit familar.

Where do you folks who buy regs and bcs on line get them serviced? How do the warranties work on the stuff the manufacturer won't cover because it was sold on line?
Those who have mentioned the expectation of experts in a dive shop are correct. My son is a shop monkey in a local LDS and when he wanders out of the back carrying things customers will often quiz him as though he is an expert on equipment, foreign and domestic dive sites and so on....

pilot fish:
My memory of this is vague. I don't rememebr it being a regular poster, sush as yourself. I'll see if I can find that post. it just sounded a bit familar.
Getting your facts straight before you make a post is something to keep in mind.

OE2X:
Getting your facts straight before you make a post is something to keep in mind.

I said " does my memeory serve me correctly? " which indicates I was not stating fact but asking a question.

adurso:
Where do you folks who buy regs and bcs on line get them serviced? How do the warranties work on the stuff the manufacturer won't cover because it was sold on line?
Those who have mentioned the expectation of experts in a dive shop are correct. My son is a shop monkey in a local LDS and when he wanders out of the back carrying things customers will often quiz him as though he is an expert on equipment, foreign and domestic dive sites and so on....

I go to a local dive shop.
Don't know how the warranty policy works. All of the gear that I've purchased has been reputable gear and has outlived its warranty and I refuse to purchase any type of extended warranty. A warranty is not even an issue in very many cases.

The Kraken:
I go to a local dive shop.
Don't know how the warranty policy works. All of the gear that I've purchased has been reputable gear and has outlived its warranty and I refuse to purchase any type of extended warranty. A warranty is not even an issue in very many cases.

Isn't extended warranty a bit different than a regular warranty? You have to pay for an extended warranty, the other is free. I, too, do not buy the extended warranty. My feeling is, if the product you are selling me is as good as you say it is, it should not need and extended warranty.

adurso:

I mostly buy used gear on e-bay. I would not do business with a shop that would condition service on where an item was purchased. I am not conserned with long term warrenties and do most service myself.

If it's as good as it's supposed to be, then it doesn't need the standard warranty either.

Well...my "LDS" is LeisurePro. Take a walk into their shop and pick out what you want and don't feel guilty about "using" your real LDS :) No I didn't purchase online I can say with my hand on my heart. Meanwhile my LDS gave my wife grief during her "Stress and Rescue Course" that her Zeagle Zena might not have sufficient life for her to complete the course and then (and this is even funnier) claimed they had *never heard of Zeagle* I know there are a lot of brands out there, but there are less than 20 big names that any diver should have heard of, especially if you run the shop!

I work at a dive shop (evil empire chain). I do tell people what not to waste their money on. There are times when I give my recommendation, and it is just that a recommendation based on what I have found, what I have been told, and what I have seen in past experiences. We don't work on commission and even if we did I would still be honest with the customer, but then in my case I only work at the store because I think it is fun (I don't have to rely on the income from it to pay my bills). So much of dive gear has to do with the type of diving that will be done and personal preference that the customer really needs to be a smart consumer and do some homework for themselves. I never put pressure on customers to buy something, if they can find it cheaper I ask them to bring in a copy of the web page or ad and give me a chance to try and match or beat the price.

Back
Top Bottom