why Dive Rite drysuits have been going up up up in price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone noticed that Dive Rite drysuits have been going up in price?

I started this thread after a recent thread about DUI Pricing itselft out of the Drysuit market was recently discussed.

So why have Dive Rite suits gone up so much recently?

Last year the Dive Rite 905 was about $1200 and change.
It went up this year to $1400
Now it's gone up to $1595 in the last month or so.

Since all advertised pricing of Dive Rite stuff is MSRP per the dealer agreement, this price is apparantly being pushed down by Dive Rite.

What would be causing such a huge price increase in such a shor period? I personally think that drysuits are overpriced anyway, but I guess that price is based on their low volume. I imagine that volume will get lower as prices go up!

anyone's thoughts?

I dont know what the deal is Mike, but I hate watching it. I was pretty convinced I wanted a 905, but at the rate prices are going I wont be able to afford it. I liked it especially because of its list of features, compared to about a $1200 price tag. It was much more bang for the buck, in my opinion, than DUI, but now they seem to be following the same trend. Maybe if the sales drop off enough they will cut back the price?

Well, I guess everyone must figure that if DUI can get the prices they get, then why not get into the pricing game.

the K-apitalist

mike_s:
Anyone noticed that Dive Rite drysuits have been going up in price?

I started this thread after a recent thread about DUI Pricing itselft out of the Drysuit market was recently discussed.

So why have Dive Rite suits gone up so much recently?

Last year the Dive Rite 905 was about $1200 and change.
It went up this year to $1400
Now it's gone up to $1595 in the last month or so.

Since all advertised pricing of Dive Rite stuff is MSRP per the dealer agreement, this price is apparantly being pushed down by Dive Rite.

What would be causing such a huge price increase in such a shor period? I personally think that drysuits are overpriced anyway, but I guess that price is based on their low volume. I imagine that volume will get lower as prices go up!

anyone's thoughts?

Mike_s: Could be the 35% slide in the dollar VS. the Euro.

mdb:
Mike_s: Could be the 35% slide in the dollar VS. the Euro.

True... that could have some impact based on costs overseas and paying for them since most dive equipment is made in part overseas.

I know that Neoprene wetsuits have gone up some in price. Of course neoprene has oil products in it and oil has gone up drastically in the last year or so.

I think most of us will agree though that a drysuit cost is more than what you would think it would be.

Tell me something that has been going down other than my pay raises and vacation time.

The exchange rate is most likely the major culprit. Material, let alone oil content is fairly small percentage compared with labor ang markups through distribution.

Cashing on brand cache may also be a biggie.

Pete

When was the 905 introduced to the market? If it was still new a few years ago, then they may have been selling cheaper to establish a reputation for suit, and are now able to charge more because it has earned a good name.

Not to defend us manufacturers, but every single one of our suppliers have raised prices on our raw materials. We actually had to do a small price increase ourselves. Zippers seem to raise in cost every 6 months. Ridiculous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom