Why DIN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmaber:
You mention you like to research to death any purchase, me to, but I am getting better, especialy since I read this artical, it might change your life, I think it made me a happier person, perhaps it might do the same for you.

http://www.commsp.ee.ic.ac.uk/~pancham/Articles/Tyranny of Choices.pdf

btw my 2 cents worth, everywere I go (Canada U.S. Carib.) all use yoke as standard equipment requiring DIN divers to get an adapter, (one more thing to go wrong). So I would go yoke. :)

Thanks! Very interesting article. I appreciate it. In retrospect, I think one of the main reasons for the research, is that I can't stand the thought of throwing away my money, or being taken advantage of! Thanks, again, that was a good read....

Referring to post #19, #22 ruined that one for ya david.

On to the topic though, I use DIN valves on my personal setup, but for traveling I take my 1st stage apart and swap it to yoke. I've been thinking about buying two setups just to have the versatility, but I don't think its worth the money for how many dives I do a year on tanks other than my own.

I really like my DIN setup but if I were a diver that primarily dives at resorts or on vacation (without my own tanks) I would go yoke. Unless of course, your destination only uses DIN. In any case, as part of your trip planning, find out what your dive center uses so you can come prepared.

JustinW:
Referring to post #19, #22 ruined that one for ya david.

Sure, take the words of a couple of keyboard-jockeys over those of a commercial diver and my own experience... hmmmmm...

nope.

well since being from europe, my regs were DIN and got reversed to yoke by now. i bought adapters fro DIN tanks in case i need them. i used to have it the other way around but here in the US and the caribean yoke is the way to go from my experience.

What about me? I dive 50% locally with a friend of mine and use his DIN tanks along with his regulator. We mostly do Rec diving but ocassionally we'll dive twins. The other 50% of the time I'm on a trip in a warm water location and it is of course tanks with yokes. I'm looking into buying my own regulator. I'm not really fond of having to take/deal with an adapter on trips but on the other hand I've always looked at buying equipment from the persepective of (if you can afford it) buy whatever you think will work best for the most advanced diving you ever think you might do. I know I won't ever do any cave diving but I can see wreck diving in my future and decompression dives with two tanks. (Unfortunately the wreck diving will be with rental takes on some trip.) Based on what I've read, it seems I should probably go DIN since have the time I dive I will be using DIN tanks and if I every bought my own tanks they would be DIN. But on my last trip I did ocassionally have problems with the DIN-Yoke adapter bonking me in the back of the head. I'm at a loss.

hoosier:
Agree. I think Yoke's popularity goes along with PADI business growth in other world...:wink:

Or maybe because its been in use since SCUBA gear was first manufactured vs. home made

hoosier:
When NAUI occupied the biggiest market, DIN was very popular set up..
Nothing against NAUI, but when was this?

Deutsches International Norm...or something like that. I understand the Germans came up with it.

Is Naui German? Anyway, any additional info on the rise and popularity of DIN connectors through NAUI would be useful.

Regards.

boogey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom