Why DIN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the great replies! Yoke, it is!!! (I was already leaning that way, and all the responses helped confirm my decision) What a great learning process this has been..SB is invaluable...thanks again, everyone!

howarde:
I would change that from MAY need converter on holiday, to WILL need converter on holiday.

Most places in Florida don't supply DIN tanks, unless they happen to have a few on hand, and will rent them out to vacationers. Most places in the caribbean don't have DIN at all.
Depends where your holiday is. No problem in Egypt, just remove the inset.

Just as a side note to what tanks will be found at dive locations all depends on the vacationers they cater to. In Europe 99% of all regs are DIN, they actually call the Yoke the "US fitting", thus places that cater to European divers will mostly have DIN tanks, while places visited by us N/A's will have the yoke connection.

Tamas:
Just as a side note to what tanks will be found at dive locations all depends on the vacationers they cater to. In Europe 99% of all regs are DIN, they actually call the Yoke the "US fitting", thus places that cater to European divers will mostly have DIN tanks, while places visited by us N/A's will have the yoke connection.

Agree. I think Yoke's popularity goes along with PADI business growth in other world...:wink:

When NAUI occupied the biggiest market, DIN was very popular set up..

It varies a lot, most rental tanks can be used for DIN or INT (as we call yoke).

El Orans:
Depends where your holiday is. No problem in Egypt, just remove the inset.
I know your holiday is going to be in Florida though. :D

If you could, often you can buy a DIN convereter as part of your regulator purchase and save money. That way you can have both. I have a ton of regulators, one of my favorite first stages is the older piston/turrent ScubaPro type and it's identical made in the same factory clones. I have a DIN vonverter for these so I can dive any equipment and it is fast and easy to convert. N

howarde:
I know your holiday is going to be in Florida though. :D
Yep, doesn't matter. My Apeks regs are DIN, my Mares regs are yoke. Good to go either way.

BTW, did I mention that I had a DIN-Yoke converter as well? :)

First Im so pround of all the responses! There was no "you MUST have a DIN. And make it an Apex!" Its good to know some of the people here are open minded. If you dont want to spend all the money on a DIN to Yoke converter for when your on vacation, you can just buy a DIN valve and replace the valve on your rental tank! OK Ok this may not be the easiest way but it is an option.

You mention you like to research to death any purchase, me to, but I am getting better, especialy since I read this artical, it might change your life, I think it made me a happier person, perhaps it might do the same for you.

http://www.commsp.ee.ic.ac.uk/~pancham/Articles/Tyranny of Choices.pdf

btw my 2 cents worth, everywere I go (Canada U.S. Carib.) all use yoke as standard equipment requiring DIN divers to get an adapter, (one more thing to go wrong). So I would go yoke. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom