why did GUE , DIR take so long to adopt sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will get flamed for that again, but here goes:

Personally I think the GUE approach is flawed.

A team is not a group of people depending on each other for survival.
It is a group comprised only of individuals everyone else in the group can depend on and focused on a common task.

In sidemount nobody depends on anyone.
Common tasks are optional.

I will get flamed for that again, but here goes:

Personally I think the GUE approach is flawed.

A team is not a group of people depending on each other for survival.
It is a group comprised only of individuals everyone else in the group can depend on and focused on a common task.

In sidemount nobody depends on anyone.
Common tasks are optional.
The proof is kinda in the pudding. The methods GUE has been teaching have proven to be VERY effective.

The proof is kinda in the pudding. The methods GUE has been teaching have proven to be VERY effective.
Nobody would deny that in this context.
But GUE does not accept sidemount (at least not officially).

Nobody would deny that in this context.
But GUE does not accept sidemount (at least not officially).
For an org with such a "flawed approach" thats somehow extremely successful, it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to change things.

If you aren't on board with team diving, standardization of equipment, gases, procedures, and training, then perhaps GUE just isn't for you. There are PLENTY of other orgs that can meet the needs of folks who aren't interested in GUE's "flawed" approach.

@PfcAJ
Careful, you sounds like a DIR diver cliché now :wink:

I personally do not have a problem with DIR - but neither should DIR always have a problem with different opinions.

I understand that very well.
Would like it, they do not like sidemount - not my problem :wink:

Where are you getting that GUE "do not like" sidemount. Yes, you are right, as an agency they do not have a sidemount course. But I know several GUE divers, some who are quite high up on the GUE ladder, who dive sidemount in situations that require it (for example UK caves and sumps).

For an org with such a "flawed approach" thats somehow extremely successful, it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to change things.
You just don't get it AJ, GUE should hire Razor as a consultant, compared to Razor they no nothing.
He was the most experienced German SM diver at one point, a true pioneer. Sure there aren't any caves where he lives, or mines, or lakes deeper than 20', or quarries or the ocean, BUT there are a few duck ponds a POOL with bad lighting with a few swim-throughs, which is basically exactly the same as a cave.
Have GUE divers even seen a bunch of stones getting dumped into the water? Huh?

@PfcAJ
Careful, you sounds like a DIR diver cliché now :wink:

I personally do not have a problem with DIR - but neither should DIR always have a problem with different opinions.

You're free to dive how you please, just as DIR folks are. What you're mistaken about is the notion that whatever idea you have should somehow 'be' DIR or taught by GUE.

Sry m8, it doesn't work like that. Start your own organization or come up with your own diving philosophy if you want, but don't expect DIR to bend to your ideas or for GUE to adopt your methods.

Furthermore, should GUE decide to include a SM course, don't be shocked if it isn't what you envision.

...should GUE decide to include a SM course, don't be shocked if it isn't what you envision.
I would be surprised if it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom