Why can't you make a living as an Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wage wise the average in the Mediterranean is about €800 - €1000 a month including commission for an instructor.
Egypt is also about €20 - €30 a day for the average instructor (so roughly the same as that assuming you work 7 days a week...which you will!)

http://www.divestation.com/PDFs/FDISPECIAL.pdf

For about $1800 (fees and materials extra) and three weeks time you can become an instructor. You need to know your basic diving first. In Florida, it takes about $6,000 and 30 weeks training to become a hairdresser. To become an engineer or accountant takes about four years and can cost $50,000, or more.

Perhaps that's one reason why a dive instructor gets paid a little less.
And don't forget, a hairdresser, accountant or engineer all need an occupational license from the state. A scuba instructor does not (unless you live in a state that is a huge exception to the rule).

You've got ~7 years in the Army? Why not give them 13 more? During that time you will have plenty of opportunity to develop your skills as an instructor. When the Army is not at war all you do is train.

Anyway, at least then you would have a retirement check and might be able to do pretty well if you land a solid instructor job.

I know that money isn't everything but honestly, a lack of funds can be very frustrating at times. Especially as priorities in life change (i.e. marriage, kids, etc)

Has anybody ever almost succeeded in killing you? They did me that favor in Iraq and I knew after 10 years of service that I had done enough. Now I'm a teacher, and I tell you what, it was worth the pay cut. Nobody has tried to kill me in the classroom yet.

Beachjunkie, thanks for serving. If you need anything to make your stay better, or if you need some Jim Beam in a mouthwash bottle, let me know.

Last edited:
And this is the naive assumption of one who has never understood the story of Tom Sawyer getting his friends to whitewash his aunt's fence. I quote:

"Tom said to himself that it was not such a hollow world, after all. He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it -- namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain. If he had been a great and wise philosopher, like the writer of this book, he would now have comprehended that Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do, and that Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do. And this would help him to understand why constructing artificial flowers or performing on a tread-mill is work, while rolling ten-pins or climbing Mont Blanc is only amusement. There are wealthy gentlemen in England who drive four-horse passenger-coaches twenty or thirty miles on a daily line, in the summer, because the privilege costs them considerable money; but if they were offered wages for the service, that would turn it into work and then they would resign."

I like how you use the term naive assumption. What exactly do YOU do for a living that qualifies you to call a Soldier naive?

I have read many posts on this forum today about being a dive instructor and it all seems so negative.......
If there is anyone out there who could give some sound advice, that would help me with my big decision, i would greatly appreciate it.

Stop and contemplate the relationship between the two sentences quoted above.

You want sound advice, but you've already read many posts on it. Do you want sound advice, or do you want someone to tell you what you want to hear?

Yes, you had a great time, but it was VACATION. You helped on the boat, etc., but the difference between you and the staff is YOU DIDN'T ****HAVE TO***** do it. Ask yourself, if what you were doing is such heavenly delight, then why were the staff so willing to let you usurp part of their unbridled pleasure, when the probability is you couldn't do their tasks as efficiently or effectively as they could? BECAUSE THEY SEE IT AS DRUDGERY!!!!!!!!!

The dumbest thing in the world is to make a career decision based on how much you like doing something for fun. It's like marrying a stranger based on how much fun a one night hook up was.

You want sound advice? Make lots of money doing something you can do better than most people, that people are willing to pay you a lot to do, and spend that money on diving. You want validation of a poorly considered decision you've already made? You've already established it's not forthcoming in this thread.

If work never sucks, then you're not really earning your paycheck.

I LOVE this thread. It cuts to the heart of everything we do and enjoy.

When I worked as a traveling salesman, I learned to abhor travel. I hated airplanes, big cities, hotels, and restaurant food. My least favorite city in the work was Miami. In fact, I got so burned out that I left a prosperous industry (making well over six figures) to run and insurance agency in a little town in the middle of nowhere (making way less money).

The ultimate irony is that I find myself flying to Miami, by myself, next week to stay in a hotel, eat restaurant food, and dive every day.

Back to the question at hand....can you make a living as a dive instructor? The odds are against you. Likewise, 90% of the people who enter the insurance industry fail, but I've managed to beat the odds.

Here are some other "low-odds" jobs:
Musician, Dancer, Painter, Park Ranger, Horse Trainer, Restaurant Owner, Baseball Player.

Yes, you can make a living as a dive instructor. The competition is intense because lots of people want to do it. You must provide a service that people want. You will need to set yourself apart from all the other dive instructors. You must be creative. You will have to overcome rejection. You may need to be frugal to overcome the tough times. Yes, you can make it.

Here is my honest-to-goodness opinion. If you are so uncertain about your capacity to succeed in this industry that you pose the question on a forum like this, then you will probably fail. Miserable as it may sound, forget the idea. Go get a job as a convenience store clerk mopping the pee off the men's room floor. You are about to waste a lot of time and money getting certified as an instructor.

There are lots of young kids out there who have been lobster diving with their dads for years who are ultimately more qualified than you. They love diving. The know the environment. They know how to drive a boat. Further, their dads have boats and lots of money and will fund their new young diver master's venture.

The odds are stacked against you.

If you could make a living being an instructor, then no one would want to be a Course Director.

Amway, Tupperware, Avon, the same deal.

I'd like to think my aspirations would lead to better things than mopping piss of the floor at a convenience store... thanks.

I think everyone has some uncertainty when looking toward a career. To say that asking questions and seeking information shows a lack of dedication and ultimate failure is a bit much. Competition exists in all fields of work. But most jobs aren't located underwater or in tropical locales. Ask anyone about their job and I guarantee you that there is some drudgery involved. Look at my job. Sure, I get to jump out of planes, fly around in helicopters, shoot guns, drive cool trucks offroad and travel around the world. Sounds like a sweet job right? Well the pay kinda blows, theres a LOT of competition for rank, to go to schools, to make yourself stand out above the rest and get promoted and start making decent money. I do the same training day in and day out whether I want to or not. I have to deal with people I can't stand. Some days its horrible. Some days its kinda fun. Some people stay and make a career out of it. Some aren't built for it and get out. The turnaround rate for the military is probably pretty close to dive pros. No job is perfect for everyone. I get that.

So lets switch the subject a bit and those who have been successful or think they know what it would take, chime in and say so. We've established the pay blows. Ok, lots of competition. Alright, got it. So... how do you stand above the competition?

This isn't purely for me. I started this topic out of curiousity and because I'd seen a bunch of threads along this basic line. Me personally... More than likely I'll end up doing the same thing everyone suggested. I'll be right back over here as a civilian contractor and save up a bunch of money then evaluate my situation again when I have a large nest egg to sit on. But its still nice to get input from people who have done it, are doing it, and who have more experience. Its been a good read. Keep it goin.

Oh and Slonda, yes. One trip on a medivac chopper, two trips casevac. I've hit the same spot that you hit. And feel free to throw some Jack Daniels into a bottle. Its always appreciate

I'd like to think my aspirations would lead to better things than mopping piss of the floor at a convenience store... thanks.

I think everyone has some uncertainty when looking toward a career. To say that asking questions and seeking information shows a lack of dedication and ultimate failure is a bit much. Competition exists in all fields of work. But most jobs aren't located underwater or in tropical locales. Ask anyone about their job and I guarantee you that there is some drudgery involved. Look at my job. Sure, I get to jump out of planes, fly around in helicopters, shoot guns, drive cool trucks offroad and travel around the world. Sounds like a sweet job right? Well the pay kinda blows, theres a LOT of competition for rank, to go to schools, to make yourself stand out above the rest and get promoted and start making decent money. I do the same training day in and day out whether I want to or not. I have to deal with people I can't stand. Some days its horrible. Some days its kinda fun. Some people stay and make a career out of it. Some aren't built for it and get out. The turnaround rate for the military is probably pretty close to dive pros. No job is perfect for everyone. I get that.

So lets switch the subject a bit and those who have been successful or think they know what it would take, chime in and say so. We've established the pay blows. Ok, lots of competition. Alright, got it. So... how do you stand above the competition?

This isn't purely for me. I started this topic out of curiousity and because I'd seen a bunch of threads along this basic line. Me personally... More than likely I'll end up doing the same thing everyone suggested. I'll be right back over here as a civilian contractor and save up a bunch of money then evaluate my situation again when I have a large nest egg to sit on. But its still nice to get input from people who have done it, are doing it, and who have more experience. Its been a good read. Keep it goin.

Oh and Slonda, yes. One trip on a medivac chopper, two trips casevac. I've hit the same spot that you hit. And feel free to throw some Jack Daniels into a bottle. Its always appreciate

Dude, don't listen to any naysayers, their frame of reference is limited to the guy at Starbucks who is rude to them or the time they got stuck in traffic. I would say that your reality is VERY different from theirs. Drudgery? Walking around in 75 pounds of gear in 125 degree heat and still being nice enough to hand a starving child some food is drudgery, most of these people wouldn't know sacrifice if you could buy it at Walmart. Since I have gotten out of the military I have had nothing but successful ventures, if you are of above average intellect (you sound smart) you'll crush your competition in the job market and in college, because you know how to embrace the suck. PM me your address and I'll hook you up, and make sure you watch your 6.

First off, you can make a living doing dive instruction as a profession but only if you are willing to put in the long hours, simplify your lifestyle to the minimums, and are willing to accept living in some parts of Asia.

Consider your time in Koh Lipe. If you are happy living without a television (and maybe even Internet access), air conditioning, and maid service in your room then you can probably do well for yourself and get by on the income of a dive professional. Research here is the key.

In the end it was the right decision for me, but it has left me with a lot less money in the bank and the inability to go back into my former career without starting over at the bottom again. In light of all that, today I can proudly look anyone in the eye and tell them "I went for my dreams, why didn't you?".

More simplier the life the better for me, i much prefer living minimally, in a wooden hut near the beach than my three bed suburban house with all the mod cons. I'm much more at home in asia than in the UK.

Well done you for following your dreams, that is something defintely to be commended for.

I agree with what many people are saying on this thread, yes being on vacation diving and working in the dive industry are two totally different things and to be serious about going in to a career of dive instruction you need to have both eyes open from the offset, know your stuff and work hard and smart. Yep the pay may not be great, hours long, time off scarce but really what is there to lose? If at the end of it all, it doesnt work out, well at least I gave my dream job a go, at least i tried doing something i am good at and love. What's the worst that can happen? end up working in a bar on a tropical beach for peanuts for a season, come home, get another office job and go back to just have a dive holiday a year? hmm i'm sure i will survive!

So why can't you earn a leaving as an instructor? the answer seems to be down to the individual just like in any industry. I'll give it a really good go and feedback on my answer, which of course will be "you can" :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom