Why can't you make a living as an Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL.
Now it was your suspicion but without any substantiation. Tomorrow your 2% could become 4%!!!
Now? I said I suspected from the start.
You have cards from 4 different agencies! What is the chance that some of your students moved to another shop/instructor without notifying you? Would you know about that?
I have cards from 5 different instructors/operators and I am not an exception and so were you(with 4).
Yes, I have cards from 4 different agencies, but not from 4 different shops/instructors. Our shop and instructors worked with multiple agencies. The instructor who certified me was PADI/NAUI/YMCA,and SSI. I also pointed out that I was far from representative of most OW students - a fact demonstrated that I went on beyond Divemaster, making me representative of less than 0.5%, so, definitely an exception. The number of cards I have has zero relevance to the statement I made.
You listed your case of 15 ow classmates and have the nerve to extrapolate it to others!!!This is LOGIC!
Please do not insult that word. You will never understand the true meaning of it.
"Frog at the bottom of the well"/"Look at the sky from the bottom of the well". Classic example here.
"You ain't see nothing yet"!!! Nice song.
I extrapolated observations from 20 years as a PADI member working with hundreds of students, I provided verified statistics from PADI demonstrating that I was an exception, I cited material from PADI HQ presented at member updates regarding the huge problem of students not going beyond OW. In contrast you have provided no basis for saying you are not an exception, and yet you say *I* am the one extrapolating from a single data point.
I have to travel to dive mainly around SE Asia and came across many local DM/Instructors happily living on the meager income from the occupation.
You cite your observation that you've encountered many DM's happy with their earnings in a region of the world exceeded in extreme poverty only by sub-Saharan Africa. A region that includes 30% of the top ten countries for lowest cost of living. That's some might fine data cherry picking there.

Yeah, sure, that's logic, when donkeys fly.

Productivity per worker has also gone up a lot in many industries, but the pay has not gone up commensurately. It doesn't really matter what metric you use, GDP per worker, share price, etc., the share going to the owners of businesses used to track the amount going to the workers, but since roughly 1980 there has been a big divergence.

You cite your observation that you've encountered many DM's happy with their earnings in a region of the world exceeded in extreme poverty only by sub-Saharan Africa. A region that includes 30% of the top ten countries for lowest cost of living. That's some might fine data cherry picking there.

Yeah, sure, that's logic, when donkeys fly.
You comparing SE Asia with sub-Saharan Africa!!
Very logical. LOL.

I cited material from PADI HQ presented at member updates regarding the huge problem of students not going beyond OW. I
No, you did not cite material from PADI HQ. If you had "cited" something from PADI HQ, we could look at that material and draw our own conclusions. You summarized your personal memories and interpretations of what was presented at member updates, and no other PADI member seems to have had anything like your experience at their member update meetings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom