Why can't scuba tanks be set up like a firefighter's scba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hose routing can be achieved through a block manifold like rebreather or sidemount set ups are.

Firemans tanks are the carbon fiber tanks nowadays.

a. Whether in singles or doubles, I don't have a problem looking up nor do I have a problem tilting my head. If you do, then perhaps there is an issue with how the tank/harness is set up. So, no problem, don't need a solution.

b. While I can imagine a time when I'd want to be able to turn my valve ON while underwater with a single tank, what that means, of course, is that I've screwed up big time. Solution -- make sure my valve is ON before entering the water and thus I don't need a solution. OTOH, I really can't imagine a time when I'd want to be able to turn my valve OFF while diving a single so, again, no need for the proposed solution. (Note -- IF I had a free flow, for example, I will want my tank turned off -- BUT ONLY AFTER I've gone onto my buddy's gas and then it is trivial for my buddy to turn my valve off.)

c. With doubles, I can pretty easily turn on/off my own valves.

OK -- now what problem are you trying to solve?

It is good to see divers thinking outside the SCUBA " BOX " !

I've a 2-page magazine article circa 1999 about using this kind of setup. Can send, but no way to attach here.

I was thinking back to my firefighting days and I was wondering why scuba tanks can't be set up like scba. Unlike diving, when I was firefighting, I never hit my head on the tank or tank valve and could easily look up. Plus the regulator was easy to reach should there be an air leak or other issue.

Without trying to deplete my sack of monkey wrenches, I'll toss another one in. :cool:

You can wear your tank in any manner that makes you happy. Feel free to try it. Maybe you'll like it.

There are places where "upside down" is common.

The only functional thing I'll mention is that if your tank happens to have crap in it (rust/water/whatever) and it doesn't have a dip tube or the dip tube fell out, the crud will end up in your reg.

flots.

Last edited:
AGA Divator had a very nice system like you describe in the mid 70's. Twin HP stl 40's (4400 psi) mounted upside down. Webbing was attached directly to the tank bands. Breathing performance was wonderfull. Hoses were of a somewhat STD length routed up your torso. It was the most comfortable rig I have ever used. Only drawback at the time was air fills (4400 PSI impossible to get in my area)

I have often asked myself the same question, but their are many drawbacks including those listed in the replys above. What you also have to consider is the ease of operation for a dive operator. Consider these daily routines.
1) Storing tanks on the boat before the divers set up their gear. Easiest is in rack standing upright.
2) Loading and off loading boat, easiest to just grab the valve and carry
3) Checking all the divers on the boat before they enter the water.
4) Setting up equipment on a rocky boat. Easiest to slip BCD over upright tank and attach reg to top.

Personal diver comfort. Except for Tech divers, how often does a diver need to reach his own valve, (Which is not really that difficult with scuba set up.) Then of course there is hose configuration for the inflator hose.

Basically you could set up your gear either way. But with the many different levels of experience, it is best to have a standardised system, and weighing the pros and cons, valves up wins. This is not to say that if you are diving privately and prefer firefighter system that you cannot set up that way. Just make sure your buddy is familiar with your system and that everything functions as it should. Most industry norms are not rules. As long as you have the correct equipment, set it up as you feel best. As long as its safe.

Tracy, I am petite and have the same problem as you with AL 80's, but there are solutions. If I use an AL 80, I have to choose whether I want the tank valve to hit my head or the back of my legs - and I choose my legs - much safer and less irritating. I have gotten big goose eggs on the back of my head or the valve pushes my mask off when placed too high. There is no in-between with an AL 80 if you're very petite.

*If you have 2 cam bands (tank straps), you can mainly just use the bottom strap and place the top strap just at the curved top of the tank - more than secure. If you have a carrying strap on your BC, you can use that on the valve as well to hold it at the right height for you. I do this with my AL 63 and it doesn't hit anything. An AL 80 will still hit my legs.

*Use a High Pressure steel 80 and set it up the same way as low as possible. Different tanks come in different lengths and valve heights. Choose a shorter HP steel 80 with a shorter valve.

*You can use an AL 63 IF you're exceptional on air, as many petite women are. I was only using 1/3 of an AL 80 for deep dives almost to the NDL so I used AL 63's from the first year. I come back with about half with my AL 63, so it's perfect for me. And no hitting anything.

Try those adjustments and they should work. Good luck! :)

As for the "head banging" problem, I'm not sure inverting your scuba tank would be the solution. Remember, firefighting SCBA units are typically 60 cu. ft. tanks...not 80's. Firefighters use the smaller tanks so they can look up (or horizontally, more often...since they are usually bent over in a smoked environment, but it still requires some craning of the neck) and their helmet will not hit the tank. Simply inverting a scuba tank in the same confines of the harness will only put the divers head in contact with what was the flat bottom instead of the first stage.

Back
Top Bottom