Why can't scuba tanks be set up like a firefighter's scba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TracyN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was thinking back to my firefighting days and I was wondering why scuba tanks can't be set up like scba. Unlike diving, when I was firefighting, I never hit my head on the tank or tank valve and could easily look up. Plus the regulator was easy to reach should there be an air leak or other issue.

I don't think it would work as wonderfully as you think it would.

Think about the hose routing issues. How would you route your inflator hose so it's secure while still allowing you to raise your inflator?
What about the octo and primary? Think about reg recoveries and air shares. They would now require a new set of techniques.
There's also the issue of setting your unit down on the ground or on the boat bench.

One could also say it's just as easy to reach your valve over your shoulder as it is behind your back; you just have to have the right position, both for the tank and for your body position. Try arching your upper back a bit instead of just craning your head up.
Also with Al80's this wouldn't be true, it be easier to reach the valve over your shoulder than below your butt (unless you're one of those tall folks).

It's a nice idea at first, but it simply isn't practical in my mind.

Personally, I would rather not risk ruining my regulators, by setting the unit down awkwardly (as can sometimes happen on a wildly pitching boat). They aren't cheap & I don't want to have to replace them any time soon.

It's more common in the UK. Discussions and pictures turn up on Yorkshire Divers from time to time. It usually involves some type of cage to protect the valves and regulators. Rather than inverting my tanks, if I absolutely couldn't reach my valves in backmount, I would just go sidemount all the time(which I like for the caves anyway).

Last edited:
Why aren't your scuba tanks set up like a firefighter's scba?

It is not a problem. Longer hoses and cage to protect the valve and regulator. I had a student who had double PST 100's set up that way. The worst problem is carrying the cylinder "upside down" , at least with his doubles.

Dale

It would probably be a problem getting them to stand up or fit in tank racks on dive boats. Weight the advantages vs disadvantages in each application. I suspect in the firefighter application, easy access to valves is important along with avoiding entanglement and limiting head movement. Not really the same with scuba where it may create trim problems.

I would think that the solution to all the problems mentioned would be to have a cylinder stand like a rebreather stand. It would make the cylinder tall and less manageable on the boat, but would solve any of the valve and regulator banging issues. Go for it.

Back
Top Bottom