Why can we service our own regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Replacing parts (seats/o-rings) is easy, for the most part. But, diagnosing a problem beyond parts replacement and analyzing the "dialogue" that occurs from the cylinder to the first stage to the second stage to your lungs is paramount to every diver's safety. Some of this entails a thorough understanding of gas laws, engineering, and experience. All things considered, it is money well spent. And actually, the guy at the reg bench is getting the short end of the stick!

I am with you...like to maintain stuff myself so I know how it was handled. Believe there is quite a bit of specialized equipment to service a reg the right way but not sure if that is required or only preferred. Would probably service it more often if it was just parts costs as well.

Think there are some manufacturers that will sell parts kits outright. Others will only sell to authorized service centers. Know my AquaLung must be serviced at a dealer. I can't get the kits outright.

Nope, incorrect. For some regs there are specialized tools. And that's another way to keep the revenue stream in the shop. Although you can buy the tools from other sources like Scubatools. You could get Aqualung kits if you found a shop willing to risk their dealership to sell them to you. There are some that will. Ebay is also your friend. The manuals are on www.frogkick.dk
The trick is to buy regs that don't require a lot of special tools. The special tools my regs require is an IP gauge, inline adjustment tool (not really necessary but nice to have) and an inch pound torque wrench. Everything else can be found at Sears. Or made at home. A magnahelic for adjusting the second stage cracking pressure? How about if I told you the kitchen sink half full of water works just fine?
Much of the reg repair mystique is just BS.

Replacing parts (seats/o-rings) is easy, for the most part. But, diagnosing a problem beyond parts replacement and analyzing the "dialogue" that occurs from the cylinder to the first stage to the second stage to your lungs is paramount to every diver's safety. Some of this entails a thorough understanding of gas laws, engineering, and experience. All things considered, it is money well spent. And actually, the guy at the reg bench is getting the short end of the stick!

I would be willing to bet that most guys at the reg bench aren't doing any analysis. They just rebuild the reg and test it to see if the problem went away...and it probably did.

I would be willing to bet that most guys at the reg bench aren't doing any analysis. They just rebuild the reg and test it to see if the problem went away...and it probably did.

There are dive shops that are "parts replacers" and there are dive shops that employ true professionals. Take your pick...

If you ever hear this, "Hmmm, we replaced the parts kit twice, and it didn't fix the problem. Oh well, must be something the manufacturer needs to look at..." RUN AWAY from that shop as fast as you can.

Scuba regulators are far less complicated than the industry would have divers believe. This is why 'certified' reg techs have only a weekend no-fail seminar and dive shop employment, as requirements to get certified. Plumbing and electrical work, for example, are much more complicated. That's why plumbers and electricians actually go to school and pass tests to get a license. And yet, any one of us can go to home depot and buy all the plumbing supplies, gas lines, electrical supplies, etc one would need to completely re-wire and re-plumb our houses.

A regulator is indeed a very simple device... however, it has been uber-engineered to do what it does. How many of you would not give a second thought about using a regulator that your buddy, with no training whatsoever, serviced for you?

A regulator is indeed a very simple device... however, it has been uber-engineered to do what it does. How many of you would not give a second thought about using a regulator that your buddy, with no training whatsoever, serviced for you?

As opposed to the kid who comes by the dive shop a couple days a week (if they need him) who attended a whole day of training and doesn't even know you???

I am pretty sure there is at least one lawyer involved somewhere. :)

Not sure why you say "incorrect" and then make the same point I was making.

Sent from Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

You said quite a bit of specialized equipment. In reality there is usually only a couple things or maybe one outside of normal every day hand tools that the average person would have in their home. Or in the case of an IP gauge that the average well prepared diver would have.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom