Why aren't more people taking up scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

…We have to remember that - as non-divers - we are absolutely incapable of having or understanding a non-diver's perspective on any of this. Non-divers are VERY different than divers. That's why the proper research is needed.

More specifically, non-divers who are not likely to ever become divers are very different than divers. Unless your objective is to sell a set of gear to every hydrophobic, land-locked, and athletically-challenged person in the world who cares? Non-divers that are likely to become divers are just like us.

It’s not like divers are a homogenous group. The motivations that brought us to diving and keep us diving are quite diverse after 60+ years into the sport. To make matters worse, verbalizing those reasons are often pretty vague. You’re not selling soap that is useful to everyone on the planet.

...hydrophobic, land-locked, and athletically-challenged person...

That was actually me at the beginning...true.

I was dragged to the Shop to learn to Scuba for a trip to the Caribbean my wife wanted to take. I had no interest in either, literally.

I was the student Instructors don't really like...the one of the pair that had no interest in being there.

I was dragged to the Shop to learn to Scuba for a trip to the Caribbean my wife wanted to take. I had no interest in either, literally.

I was the student Instructors don't really like...the one of the pair that had no interest in being there.

Interesting. What changed your mind and does your wife still dive?

Interesting. What changed your mind and does your wife still dive?

Long story and involves a number of serendipitous events.

Bit of some backstory. My wife spent a summer in Carriacou in the early 70's at the Canadian Junior College Marine Science School and spend a few months diving with that program. Hadn't done any diving since that time.

Our son learned with us as well. We went to St. Lucia and did the Open Water dives. Okay, I had fun. Something we can do on the occasional trip. We had bought our own mask, snorkel, fins, and wetsuits before we went down. Some equipment issues in St. Lucia lead us to by our own regulators after we got back. At that time, the Alberta government gave everyone $400 out of oil revenues. We used that to buy the regs. Not much of our "own" money invested. On the "just in case" principle bought ones that were sealed.

Turned out that a friend who was in the same high power rocket club (another hobby that costs a ton of time and money) was a DM. He offered to take us diving locally. We went out with him in rented 7mm and BCDs, etc. Cold mountain lakes with not much to see. My wife hated it, my son and I enjoyed it enough to go a couple of more times. Certainly was not that interesting to even consider spending the time or money to dive locally, especially not in wetsuits.

Then attended a dive weekend put on by one of the local shops. Lots of prizes and give aways. Grand prize was a Whites Nexus drysuit package - complete with undergarments. Wouldn't you know, my wife won the damn thing. Well, that changed everything. She still had no interest, so I took the suit and we split the cost of a dry suit for our son with him. That win certainly changed the economics of the enterprise. Snowballed from there.

He and I took the DM program one winter as a way of keeping active over that winter.

We traveled a lot diving as a family.

My son is a Journeyman Heavy Duty Mechanic. He was laid off from his job a few years ago and decided to go to the Canadian Working Divers Institute and get his DCBC certificate. At the same time I knew that retirement was going to happen and did my OWSI, while he was off in Ontario. We both "graduated" about the same time. He worked for about a year doing inland work, but at half the wage of working as a mechanic he went back to servicing heavy equipment.

My wife is no longer interested in diving after having a couple of "anxious" moments that occurred during the last couple of trips we did. That's cool, I go with friends, or my son, or dive on my own when we we are on trips.

My son rarely dives anymore, once a year when I drag him away from Calgary and his quad-riding buddies.

So, I've got a lot of the issues being discussed wrapped up right here. Starting and retention.

Last edited:
Here is someone that actually is promoting the sport:

Squalus Marine Divers of Bridgeport hold First Annual Scuba Outreach Seminar

BESTflyerlow.jpg

Are you a sailboater? Are you a fisherman? Are you a paddle boarder, kite boarder, surf boarder or just some one who lives for the water?? Well what is keeping you from becoming a SCUBA DIVER?? We are having our first SCUBA OUTREACH SEMINAR to try and help you along! We have noticed that most people aren't aware of what actually is required to become a certified diver. So why not come to our seminar and listen to the speakers? You will be able to ask questions of other divers and get some great information! Even if you are already certified! Come meet new divers, charter captains, authors and make some dive buddies! We have some incredible door prizes in store for ticket holders!

Squalus Marine Divers , a Bridgeport based organization, will be hosting its first annual Scuba Outreach Seminar January 17th 2015. The event will be held at The Acoustic, 2926 Fairfield Avenue in Bridgeport Connecticut. Tickets can be purchased at www.squalusmarine.com.

Squalus Marine Divers, would like to reach out to the local community to raise awareness for The Long Island Sound and Scuba Diving! Our Scuba Outreach Seminar will introduce you to some unique speakers!

Captain Bill Palmer, Author, Dive Captain, will be discussing his new book "THE LAST BATTLE OF THE ATLANTIC" and his dives on The German U-Boat U-853 lost off Block Island.

Afraid of diving with sharks? We have a speaker for that!

Matt Potemski, will be discussing the Do's The Don'ts and the Whys of Diving with our toothy friends of The Worlds Oceans!

Captain Denis Habza, of Squalusmarine.com will be hosting the event and will be giving a presentation on Squalus Marine and diving in the Long Island Sound

Tim Thomas, The Dive Safety Officer for The Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk, will be discussing diving with the sand tigers inside the aquarium and other dive operations he had be associated with.

Richard E Hyman, Author of "FROGMAN" and Jacques-Yves Cousteau crew member, will be discussing his adventures with Underwater Pioneer Cousteau and his time aboard The Claypso!

It is going to be a blast! We hope to see you there!

I've been bugging most of my friends to get into scuba - some of them are planning on it but in my age group alot of them are now married with new born's or baby on the way and they say the same things
Time and Money ,

Time and money seem to be the two biggest reasons my friends haven't gotten into it. They're always asking me about it and commenting on the pictures I put up online from wherever I went recently. Most of them said they would give it a try, or have unofficially tried it in the pool, shallow Gulf waters while scalloping in the past via an uncle or dad that was open water certified.

However, when I told them I was getting cavern/intro cave certified next year... the answer was a resounding "f*** that!" :rofl3:

I'm not so sure. I think that snorkeling is so closely related that it's not really a gateway activity per se. No more so than going to a driving range is a "gateway" to playing golf or hitting the bunny slope is a "gateway" to skiing.

I think snorkeling is an indicator of several things that already exist in the participants mind - inclination, aptitude, access, comfort in the water, socio-economic status, etc - that are also highly important indicators for interest in scuba diving. I'm not sure that promoting snorkeling will do anything to INCREASE those things.

It's intuitive that getting more people snorkeling may get more of them to put a tank on their back. However, absent market research and a well-thought-out strategy it has a great potential to BACKFIRE significantly. With the current de-facto positioning for scuba diving being "look at pretty fishies underwater" promoting snorkeling has a high likelihood of satisfying that desire sufficiently for many people. Diving has to be positioned as being completely DIFFERENT than snorkeling.

If it weren't for the bunny slope, how many hesitant potential skiers would give it a try?

Yes, some people might 'settle' for snorkeling instead of going further, but I wonder how many people with the drive to dive, so to speak, would never move forward. Or people with good potential to get into avid diving. Put another way, let's say you get 100 people to get into snorkeling, at least for awhile. How many would've become divers and now won't? How many will become divers who wouldn't have otherwise? I would guess, since only a really small percentage of the U.S. population divers regularly, that the latter would outnumber the former. So it's a net win.

On the other hand, a lot of potential divers have kids under 10 who can't get certified, or spouses who won't dive. Snorkeling is something the whole family can enjoy. I don't hear many people planning to spend a few grand on snorkeling trips, though, so pushing it would probably mean trying to sell people on a package deal; in other words, a Sandals type location with non-diving activity options, too.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom