Why aren't more people taking up scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not being able to swim is kind of a big deal for scuba diving.

The "old white guys or gals" who have been around a while will tell you - as you may already know - Swimming was dependent on being certified. My sisters and I were on the town swim team and were life guards when we were certified back in the late 70's... You had to have those skills in order to be certified in the earlier years. This perception may still be out there... :D

My understanding from the people I know who taught military recruits, as well as other sources, is that there is much higher percentage of african-americans who don't know how to swim. Not being able to swim is kind of a big deal for scuba diving.

How many Americans can't swim?
"The Memphis study broke the data down demographically. White children were the most likely to self-report (or have their parents report) strong swimming skills, with 58 percent of those between the ages of 4 and 18 claiming the ability to traverse more than a pool length. Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders came in a close second at 55 percent. Forty-two percent of Hispanic and Latino children are strong swimmers. Asian-American and Native American children came in at 34 percent and 32 percent, respectively. African-Americans reported the fewest strong swimmers at 31 percent. Accident rates largely conform to these data. Black children between 5 and 14 years old are more than three times as likely to drown as their white peers. The six children who died in Louisiana were African-American."

It can be cultural. When I was diving on Andros Island in the Bahamas, a couple of the dive professionals were black Bahamians. We were told that was very rare. We were told that despite the Bahamas being an island nation with water all around, most Bahamians have an aversion to the water and cannot swim. That was why the rest of the dive staff was imported from other nations.

The "old white guys or gals" who have been around a while will tell you - as you may already know - Swimming was dependent on being certified. My sisters and I were on the town swim team and were life guards when we were certified back in the late 70's... You had to have those skills in order to be certified in the earlier years. This perception may still be out there... :D
Some ScubaBoard regulars are famously of the belief that it should still be that way.

Some ScubaBoard regulars are famously of the belief that it should still be that way.

Yes, I believe that people should be able to swim before they become scuba divers. I can't believe that people could feel otherwise.

Yes, I believe that people should be able to swim before they become scuba divers. I can't believe that people could feel otherwise.

It depends upon the degree to which you beleive it is true. The post to which I replied said:
My sisters and I were on the town swim team and were life guards when we were certified back in the late 70's... You had to have those skills in order to be certified in the earlier years.

Lifeguards have to be outstanding swimmers. I do not swim as well as a life guard. Should I hand in my certification cards?

I think you should be able to swim, certainly. I don't think you need to be able to swim as well as a lifeguard.

I'm not saying that at all, that was simply an observation. I absolutely did not say that that's how it should be or remain, you said that.
My point was that for whatever reason groups of people besides caucasians are absent for the most part in diving, whereas in snow related sports there is a much more diverse population participating.
I don't know why this is, but skiing and related snow sports has a larger base to draw from because a more diverse population is involved in it.
And I think it's great.

I have limited experience as I'm a relatively new diver, and I've only dove local to me, but I see a lot of diversity, at least on the boat I go out on. A lot of Spanish speaking people (as in from south American countries).

One problem I certainly know some people have is that they cannot transfer from nose to mouth-breathing. That means snorkelling is out too. I know of a great example - years ago, I used to do UK diving regularly with a buddy. Her husband, a strong swimmer (much better than either of us), never even considered diving because he could not bear the thought of his nose being blocked. I once accompanied him on a trial snorkel - NOT a dive mind - in a pool and the b****r panicked to such an extent when the mask covered his nose that he nearly drowned both of us.

It depends upon the degree to which you beleive it is true. The post to which I replied said:

Lifeguards have to be outstanding swimmers. I do not swim as well as a life guard. Should I hand in my certification cards?

I think you should be able to swim, certainly. I don't think you need to be able to swim as well as a lifeguard.

Agree. Jim L. said it best--"Swimming is a life skill". I think anyone that does anything in or near water that is over their head or has current should be able to swim. But it's a very old topic.

Wanna know what the greatest ski innovation was? Without THIS innovation none of the extreme stuff would be possible.
The snowboard

Reactions: RJP
The snowboard
I'm betting the snowoard kept as many families on the slopes as helmets. Mom and dad on their skis... kids on snowboards.

I took lessons with my daughter last year. Didn't go well. According to my daughter there's a name for people that snowboard like me... "skier"

dip032713_wipeout-1024x693.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom