Info Why are tables not taught in OW classes anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point that you seem to be missing, is the directional selection toward the dumbing down of educational materials across the board, whether it's toward some Quixotic notion of "equity" where a correct mathematical answer is no longer even necessary; or whether it's some other meaningless California new-age word soup, doesn't really matter.

Mathematical word soup? That's Ph.D. level, here we have a book that has "Design and Validation" of the multi-day multi-dive algorithms in the title, a poster who is "well familiar" with it, and a post that states said algorithms have not been properly validated for multi-day diving.

Mathematical word soup? That's Ph.D. level, here we have a book that has "Design and Validation" of the multi-day multi-dive algorithms in the title, a poster who is "well familiar" with it, and a post that states said algorithms have not been properly validated for multi-day diving.
Well, I am still willing to roll the dice with tables over a bricked computer any day; and we did just that -- multi-level, multi-day diving -- with them for over fifteen years, over thousands of dives, before any of us saw or could readily afford an Orca.

None of us from that class at the "Y" were ever bent; we dove almost every day that first Summer; and the only one no longer with us, had played chicken and lost, with a semi on I-5 twenty years ago . . .

I have two words for anyone considering backup tables, backup computer.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, few -- according to friends who still work boats -- aside from the seeming Boy Scouts of SB, seem to follow that advice. I generally carry redundant everything, after having lived and worked in some of the stickier parts of the world . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 1.34.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 1.34.35 PM.png
    239 KB · Views: 44
As has been demonstrated over and over and over and over and over again on ScubaBoard, if your first dive was multilevel with a computer, it will be a rare case when you can use tables to plan the second if your computer fails. Your first dive would likely be off the tables, so you wouldn't be able to dive with tables until the next day.

As has been demonstrated over and over and over and over and over again on ScubaBoard

Can you repeat that again please.

As has been demonstrated over and over and over and over and over again on ScubaBoard, if your first dive was multilevel with a computer, it will be a rare case when you can use tables to plan the second if your computer fails. Your first dive would likely be off the tables, so you wouldn't be able to dive with tables until the next day.
I fully understand that -- and that has frankly not stopped folks from attempting to and doing that, anyway, for years . . .

I fully understand that -- and that has frankly not stopped folks from attempting to and doing that, anyway, for years . . .
In other words, they use the tables even when the tables can't be used. Isn't that a different way to say they wing it and dive with no guidance at all? Aren't you just jumping in the water and hoping for the best? Since the tables don't work in those cases, what is the benefit to knowing how to use them?

You don't think that almost 40 years of successful use represents validation?
In the development study, there were 20 divers, 12 men and 8 women, covering a spectrum of age and weight, who did 4 dives per day for 6 days. Though not a large number, more subjects that I am aware of for testing of repetitive rec dives for other algorithms.

I like @tursiops post, 36 years I would guess, just a few dives (Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood, Genesis). I have a few over 2200 myself. I have dived 3.5 dives/day for 13 days and 4 dives/day for 6 days. A few less dives many, many times. So far, so good :)

In the development study, there were 20 divers, 12 men and 8 women, covering a spectrum of age and weight, who did 4 dives per day for 6 days. Though not a large number, more subjects that I am aware of for testing of repetitive rec dives for other algorithms.

I like @tursiops post, 36 years I would guess, just a few dives (Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood, Genesis). I have a few over 2200 myself. I have dived 3.5 dives/day for 13 days and 4 dives/day for 6 days. A few less dives many, many times. So far, so good :)
Yeah, but we know you are weird because you don't use any air....so can't possibly uptake much nitrogen..... :D

Back
Top Bottom